Digital Horse Racing (ZED & NFTs)

Nice Guy Eddie

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Got one that’s looking ok. Three 3rd place finishes in the seven races I’ve run him. Also bought a genesis primarily for breeding, and her results reaffirm that’s going to be her only value (at least until they introduce other metrics to racing). This shit’s kinda addicting

Nice!  yeah i think breeding is where it's at for making a little money.  Even the crappiest horses are selling for $150 now.  Even with ZEDs take, breeding stud fees are decent as well.

Pretty big updates coming down the pipe...    https://community.zed.run/2021/08/03/racing-update/

Biggest one being removing of odds.... errr... we're not going to let you know what they are...

Over the coming weeks, the following updates will be implemented to improve the racing experience.

• More races! Plenty of $2.50 races, plus new types of racing events.
  • Farewell to queues! Races will soon commence 5 minutes after the last gate is filled. 
  • Take a breath… fatigue will soon be here and we thank you for your feedback. More details below.  
  • Improved competition within all racing classes.  
  • While odds are being removed, you will now be able to see how your racehorse measures up to its competition!
  • Leaderboards and New Rating System to improve classes.

Removing Odds

At its core, ZED RUN is a game of discovery. While this has been a difficult decision, removing the odds is what the team believes is best for the future of the game. Exposing 1,000 simulations for each race in the form of true odds, is taking away from the racehorse discovery process, especially as we add more variables into the game. We aim to encourage the relationship and responsibility owners establish with their racehorses. 

With the removal of odds, we are introducing a new way for you to gauge the potential performance of your racehorse before the race. Three flame symbols (shown below) will sit next to the top three most likely racehorses that are considered to place (in position 1, 2, or 3) in a race. This feature is intended to assist players with the racehorse discovery process and whether they might be onto a winner. The flame symbol will be featured in the ‘Next to Run’ page within the scheduled races. 

I like that they are adding fatigue and I think I read that each horse will only be able to enter 1 race at a time.  I think both of those are good changes that keep the whale horses from dominating so many races.  The U shaped beasts that never climb out of class V would run 30-40 times per day if there were no queues and no fatigue.

I don't know how I feel about the removal of odds - it seems like it will be harder to buy/sell quality horses.  I guess it might increase the value of solid horses that win quite a bit, so it could help me on a few of mine.

I need to sell some horses - I'm up to 11.  8 females and 3 males.

4 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I like that they are adding fatigue and I think I read that each horse will only be able to enter 1 race at a time.  I think both of those are good changes that keep the whale horses from dominating so many races.  The U shaped beasts that never climb out of class V would run 30-40 times per day if there were no queues and no fatigue.

Yeah. 1 race at a time, but the races now run within 5 minutes of the gates filling up. So that's pretty awesome. Very glad to hear there will be a fatigue bar though. That would really suck having to figure that out on our own. Not allowing your results to count when you class up or when your horse is super fatigued should also help a lot with some of those power horses that continue to stay in lower classes than they should. 

4 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I don't know how I feel about the removal of odds - it seems like it will be harder to buy/sell quality horses.  I guess it might increase the value of solid horses that win quite a bit, so it could help me on a few of mine.

Agreed. That's probably going to make buying/selling/breeding more difficult. There won't be as many ways to quickly filter some of the more important traits, but I suppose that could also have a positive effect. Odds and curves are often good indicators, but some horses just don't win as much as their odds would suggest. My best horse by odds is my 3rd best at finishing in the money.

Think the change I'm most excited about is the new racing events: Zero win rate and Sub-5% win rate. That'll allow a lot more glue horses to actually make a little money back. Plus, I've got a horse that hates to win but LOVES to finish second. Hopefully I can keep him in the Sub-5% category for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Think the change I'm most excited about is the new racing events: Zero win rate and Sub-5% win rate. That'll allow a lot more glue horses to actually make a little money back. Plus, I've got a horse that hates to win but LOVES to finish second. Hopefully I can keep him in the Sub-5% category for a long time.

100% this.  They need to start chunking out new ranks/racing groups.  I know the Zed whales want to be able to continue feasting on the glue, but it's going to hard to grow the game if newbs get crushed by Vanilla Bean/Doc Brown/Moonlight Graham/insert class V monster all the time.  I think the 0% win and sub 5% win races are a great start towards giving more owners a chance to win.

@Angry Gorilla @Baboontyme @Da Fino @gsoda3 @henrygandorf @Here for Zed @huge @MonkeyDoughnut @Mr Bean @NOMAAA @PhillyD @SquishMitten @ZB'Tejas

Friday racing

ReasonaBull: https://zed.run/race/13MGanwI ($7.60)

I will post some races for the other horses later on. Zed wasn't posting new races.

Just now, gyroprotagonist said:

IN for a Z1 breeding pair lol.  This is actually really good for the game.  should see more movement on the high price horses now.  

I'd be in for that too!  If we want to buy the cheapest mare and stallion on the market we need to raise about 50 ETH...

19 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I just saw this @Nice Guy Eddie Looks like it may make your life a little bit easier!

That's sketchy AF. After reading for maybe 5 minutes, I found tons of typos. Might be completely legit, but if they can't even bother to proof read their website, I sure as shit ain't trusting them with hundreds of dollars. Also, lulz at the idea of buying in to a $100 horse. Just go ahead and consider that a donation.

Edited by SquishMitten

That's how I'm reading it as well. They'll have to up those numbers a lot if they're ever going to get repeat customers. I'd probably set $750 or $1,000 as the lowest option. 99% of the people who buy in for a $100, $250, or $500 horse are going to feel like they got scammed, and the company is going to get blasted on social. I get that they want to make it affordable to more people, but that can also be accomplished by letting people buy lower percentages of the horse. For $100, I'd much rather buy 1% of a $10K horse, than 10% of a $1k horse. 

yeah, if you made a service that would buy a Z1/Z2 then fractionalize it into 20-50 units.  give everyone a voting token on when/if to race it, set the stud fee (or max stud fee to pay for a mare), same for selling the foal etc.. then you would have something.  

Racing a horse is the least profitable aspect of ZED unless you have a top 1% horse.  My horses pretty much suck at racing and have not turned a profit as a group ever.  But breeding (selling covers and selling foals) has been extremely profitable so far.  outside of racing new foals to see their odds, I probably only race my other horses maybe once a week.

The first service to cater to this aspect will make bank, but that's a lot of trust to give to a 'company' which would be far from establishing legitimacy.  Honestly, if one of the big stables like Doofy or Poseidon were to create a service like this, i would trust it.  But just because someone is first to try and monetize it does not mean they won't disappear with the horses and your money after a month.  

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

My horses pretty much suck at racing and have not turned a profit as a group ever.  But breeding (selling covers and selling foals) has been extremely profitable so far.  

Have you had any covers for a colt? Despite having decent horses (Z14 legendary finney, couple legendary buterins in the 20s generation, with odds of 12-13%), I haven't had a single taker at the minimum stud price. I'm wondering if people are mostly just looking for stallions. I'll be able to breed in-house in a few days so I'm hoping that's the reason.

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Have you had any covers for a colt? Despite having decent horses (Z14 legendary finney, couple legendary buterins in the 20s generation, with odds of 12-13%), I haven't had a single taker at the minimum stud price. I'm wondering if people are mostly just looking for stallions. I'll be able to breed in-house in a few days so I'm hoping that's the reason.

the only one I sell outside my stable is for a Z3 Szabo Genesis.  the price I was getting was OK at first, around .2 eth per, but everyone is undercutting and floor is now .1 eth so I have been breeding in-house for the minimum.  someone always manages to steal 1 of the cheap covers though before i can get my 3rd mare to breed.  so have ended up with 2 foals and one cheap cover the last 2 times.

- that horse is unraced, so there is no positive or negative win % to influence the price.  I find that unraced is way better than having a bad win %

i think most people probably do the bare minimum wrt to searching for horses to breed with.  Finneys and Buterins are basically all at the floor for stud fees so the inventory there is overwhelming and people don't want to scroll through 100s of listings.  They will do a little bit of searching, maybe check out the odds of a few horses then pull the trigger.

- To get any value for a decent racer, you will have to advertise on twitter and on the ZED forum.  just keep spamming your horse on ZED forum in the breeding section and you will probably get a some responses or action on your horse.  

I tend to sell all my male offspring that don't actually win money racing and then keep the females to spawn a few foals.  But females have a massive premium right now, so I have been selling some of those as well.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:48 AM, SquishMitten said:

That's sketchy AF. After reading for maybe 5 minutes, I found tons of typos. Might be completely legit, but if they can't even bother to proof read their website, I sure as shit ain't trusting them with hundreds of dollars. Also, lulz at the idea of buying in to a $100 horse. Just go ahead and consider that a donation.

Yea, I should have looked at this closer before posting, this is not at all what I thought it would be.  This looks to be a grift - wtf are you going to buy for $100!?

I was thinking more along the lines of a platform that would keep track of cash calls/investment levels/winnings distributions, etc all while keeping the horses in escrow for the syndicate.  Not this hot garbage.

• 2 weeks later...

@Angry Gorilla @Baboontyme @Da Fino @gsoda3 @henrygandorf @Here for Zed @huge @MonkeyDoughnut @Mr Bean @NOMAAA @PhillyD @SquishMitten @ZB'Tejas

I know racing has been quiet this month. I'm finding the site to have too many race registration problems. Not to mention that any cheap entry fee race fills up within seconds. You have to hope you can grab a gate before someone else.

A big improvement will be that Zed has introduced fatigue and a horse can only be in one race at a time. 

use this to check the price of gas  https://www.blocknative.com/gas-estimator  

gas on the ETH mainnet has been high AF the last week or so.  never really dropping down to 'good' levels

Look at the base fee (from the link) its at the bottom of the page under the boxes.  in the current environment, 60-70 for that has been as good as i have seen it.  80 is where i will pull the trigger on opensea buys but it's ugly right now trying to save $ on gas.  just cannot be done.

- there is also the inherent delay when converting from polygon ETH to mainnet ETH so even if you start the tx  when gas is good, when it actually comes time to convert it could be back up again.

I have not explored other avenues of conversion.  I have just been using any WETH gained from ZED and buying other poly stuff like chicken derby or crypto raiders.   

Spoiler

Reasonable Measure found a 3rd place finish. She had a fire emoji next to her name before the race start indicating she was a pre-race top 3 favorite. 

Hopefully the new stamina attribute will help with racing in preventing someone from racing 10s of time per day without loss of performance. This gives the lesser horses a better chance. 

I still see a problem with few $2 races being offered. When they are offered, they fill up quickly and I have to get lucky in selecting a gate that someone hasn't already done so.

i am actually racing a lot more now with the fire system and fatigue.  i saw a comment that you can now go deeper on the bench to race and that's true.

this little filly is a beast in C4 https://knowyourhorses.com/horses/48325 now that i have dialed in the right distance and not facing the same monster horses in every race.  getting flames every time in $2 and $5 races and a nice distribution between wins and 11th place.  maybe it turns into a U-racer.  She also bred a decent horse that is looking like a good sprinter.

I have been too slow to get any of the free races.  seems like bots are filling those so quick, but i hear others are able to nab them so maybe i am just slow on the draw. 

it was tough sledding to sell bred horses last breeding cycle for me.  seemed to take way longer to sell and prices are still depressed even though breeding mins went up.  selling legendary Z6 Szabo colt unraced for for same price as 2 months ago (.26) even though stud fees are up.  

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/know-your-horses-plugin/jpojlpaenienbbingpglilmaplkgchln

has anyone tried the knowyourhorse plugin chrome extension?  looks pretty cool, and i don't think these guys are scammers but i am loathe to install something and let it connect to my wallet.  i trust KYH but is this thing hackable or something?

• 1 month later...

How or does the group want to move forward with Zed racing? I started disliking the product as it would sometimes take 15+ minutes to successfully join a cheaper races in our budget.

I see a couple of options:

• someone else take over the management of the horses and racing budget. I don't mind participating but I'm obviously not motivated to manage racing.
  • we can sell the horses and split the proceeds and remaining racing budget.
  • Do nothing now but re-address at a later date if the horse values go up. Or if racing improves.

For the guys that still race, what's the current environment like on Zed?

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How or does the group want to move forward with Zed racing? I started disliking the product as it would sometimes take 15+ minutes to successfully join a cheaper races in our budget.

I see a couple of options:

• someone else take over the management of the horses and racing budget. I don't mind participating but I'm obviously not motivated to manage racing.
  • we can sell the horses and split the proceeds and remaining racing budget.
  • Do nothing now but re-address at a later date if the horse values go up. Or if racing improves.

For the guys that still race, what's the current environment like on Zed?

lets bet it all on one last race.  then sell to add to our winnings.

2 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

lets bet it all on one last race.  then sell to add to our winnings.

Ha... can we wager the horse itself? Winner takes all the other horses in the race.

Not interest in taking over racing but I'm all for holding on to the horses we have a see what happens. It's no BAYC but the floor is still probably a bit higher than where we all got in correct?

I'm ready to get out. Lost interest a long time ago. Where do we stand on our original investments roughly? If we've got like 25 or 50% of what we've put in, I'm in the blow it crowd. If we can recoup close to what we put in I'd be good just getting out. Or one last race and get out.