Peloton Recalls all of their Treadmills. No More Plane Experiments

atomheartbevo

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/business/peloton-treadmill-recall/index.html

Peloton recalled its Tread+ and Tread treadmillsWednesday, and the company admitted it was wrong to fight the Consumer Product Safety Commission's request that it do so.

About 125,000 treadmills are included in the recall. The CPSC said that there has been one child death and 70 other injuries tied to the treadmills. But when the federal safety agency issued a warning about the dangers last month, Peloton took the unusual step of refusing to recall them. 

"I want to be clear, Peloton made a mistake in our initial response to the CPSC's request," said Peloton CEO John Foley. "We should have engaged more productively with them from the outset. For that, I apologize."

This is going to be an interesting call

Shares of Peloton (PTON) hit a seven-month low, falling 12% on the news. The company reports earnings Thursday afternoon.

See video below: can anyone explain to me why the treadmill doesn't have a resistance cutoff? It seems like this problem is near solved if the motor shuts off when it has a enough resistance to come near a complete stop. There isn't any exercise related reason I can think of that you'd want the thing to keep going under those conditions.

(FYI, kid comes out ok in this video, though it is still disturbing)

Also, another article for reference: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/peloton-recalls-treadmills-after-childs-death-29-child-injuries-72-accidents/

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

legit question... what makes peloton's treadmill more dangerous than any other treadmill for home use?

I understand a very young child was badly hurt but what makes the peloton treamill more dangerous than any other one?

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

legit question... what makes peloton's treadmill more dangerous than any other treadmill for home use?

I understand a very young child was badly hurt but what makes the peloton treamill more dangerous than any other one?

Others appear to have a safety bar that prevents extreme events like the video I posted above. Although, again, it seems like a resistance cut off switch would solve that problem too. The other issues are that it has a different type of tread that is going to grip more, a stronger motor than most, and more space between the tread and the floor to allow things to get under it. 

When my kids were little, we hid the safety key from the kids like it was a loaded gun. 

Nevertheless - the large gap between the machine and the floor - without a guard - looks like a design flaw, perhaps based on aesthetics and marketability.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

See video below: can anyone explain to me why the treadmill doesn't have a resistance cutoff?

Shit either a resistance cutoff, or a switch on the feet so it knows when it's up in the air with a child underneath. Crazy design oversight

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

See video below: can anyone explain to me why the treadmill doesn't have a resistance cutoff? It seems like this problem is near solved if the motor shuts off when it has a enough resistance to come near a complete stop. There isn't any exercise related reason I can think of that you'd want the thing to keep going under those conditions.

Also, another article for reference: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/peloton-recalls-treadmills-after-childs-death-29-child-injuries-72-accidents/

That video made me sick even though the kid was OK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I don't know if they have a safety key, but we had a treadmill for several years (for an ultimately failed project involving a scale R/C model airplane), and it had a safety key that had to be inserted (tied to a strap that theoretically you had on your wrist) that would shut it down.  Also, the clearance at the back was just a couple of inches.

Those Pelotons have a helluva lot of clearance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't know if they have a safety key, but we had a treadmill for several years (for an ultimately failed project involving a scale R/C model airplane), and it had a safety key that had to be inserted (tied to a strap that theoretically you had on your wrist) that would shut it down.  Also, the clearance at the back was just a couple of inches.

Those Pelotons have a helluva lot of clearance. 

They do. But, like most of those keys, they are also usually left in or with the device. 

Edited by Dahobbs

14 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That video scared the living crap out of me, wish I wouldn’t have watched it...damn glad the kiddo was able to get out from underneath it.  Obviously there is some kind of major design oversight involved as you don’t hear about this happening regularly with other treadmills...but also where were the parents/sitter?

My kids are 4/7 and we have a ‘quiet time’ during the weekends where they play upstairs by themselves for a few hours, so obviously I’m not one to judge...but both of them had to be screaming bloody murder and never saw an adult respond, not to mention why have it plugged in/key in it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My grandmother had one of these.  I thought my cousin was going to get sucked completely through that thing one day.    

But remember these?   They are AWESOME when you ran that through the wringer, once you got the adjustments down. 

RollCaps2_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1588277465

• Hook 'Em 1

Some updates

• Peloton is giong to issue a software update that requires a PIN number to start their treadmills
  • A lot of people are refusing to return them (understandable)
  • It's going to take quite a while, but they are working on a hardware fix to block the bottom and/or shut it off if something goes wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/5/2021 at 4:37 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

The douchy peleton coaches who are supposed to inspire you to reach your inner peloton. The danger for me would be cutting my knuckles smashing their punchable faces onscreen

• 2 years later...