2021 Texas HS football

Not sure if we have a HS track thread, so will leave this here.  A kid from Harlingen ran a blazing 10.00 in the 100 to with the UIL 6A meet this weekend.  It’s very, very rare to see this kind of speed from that far south. Go Big Red!

https://rgvsports.com/news/107466/cards-champ-harlingen-senior-garcia-sets-record-in-100-meter-dash-state-title-win/

• Hook 'Em 2

Shouldn't basically everyone's schedule be the home-road-reverse of last season?

I don’t think so since a lot of schedules were messed up due to different classes starting at different times and some school districts having different policies.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:48 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Not sure if we have a HS track thread, so will leave this here.  A kid from Harlingen ran a blazing 10.00 in the 100 to with the UIL 6A meet this weekend.  It’s very, very rare to see this kind of speed from that far south. Go Big Red!

https://rgvsports.com/news/107466/cards-champ-harlingen-senior-garcia-sets-record-in-100-meter-dash-state-title-win/

Super happy to see him do so well, hopefully he gets a shot in college. Not sure that he has the grades though.

Team should be pretty good this year, not sure who the QB will be but I’ve heard good things about the Tamez kid, incoming junior. RB Bell should be a beast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Super happy to see him do so well, hopefully he gets a shot in college. Not sure that he has the grades though.

Team should be pretty good this year, not sure who the QB will be but I’ve heard good things about the Tamez kid, incoming junior. RB Bell should be a beast. 

What kind of grades do you have to have to run track in college? Hell, A&M has a decent track program and they'll let just about anybody in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

What kind of grades do you have to have to run track in college? Hell, A&M has a decent track program and they'll let just about anybody in. 

I don’t even know that he has bad grades, just thought that was the reason he’s still uncommitted. 

Well, with the loss of two former players, it's been a sad year for Westlake football. On a happier note, my wife was presented with a state championship ring by the Chaps Club for her contributions to our district's sports programs. 

IMG-7040-2.jpg

IMG-7039.jpg

IMG-7036-2-B.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Well, with the loss of two former players, it's been a sad year for Westlake football. On a happier note, my wife was presented with a state championship ring by the Chaps Club for her contributions to our district's sports programs. 

IMG-7040-2.jpg

IMG-7039.jpg

IMG-7036-2-B.jpg

Hell of a segue bro. Wasn't weird and awkward at all. Absolutely crushed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hell of a segue bro. Wasn't weird and awkward at all. Absolutely crushed it.

Fair enough. I've been conflicted about posting this cause of the two deaths in our community, but I'm also very proud of my wive's role and wanted to share it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Tom Westerberg has left Barbers Hill to be AD for Hays CISD. Prior to Barbers Hill he was the HC at Allen. Barbers Hill pays very well and has great facilities,  might be tempting for a big name HC to look into despite in being so late. Nor sure if there is someone on staff that might get promoted 

38 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Tom Westerberg has left Barbers Hill to be AD for Hays CISD. Prior to Barbers Hill he was the HC at Allen. Barbers Hill pays very well and has great facilities,  might be tempting for a big name HC to look into despite in being so late. Nor sure if there is someone on staff that might get promoted 

Wow, I wonder how disappointed BH is.  Seems like they were paying him for more than 3 playoff wins in 5 years...

Bill Littleton retires after 18 years at McAllen Memorial. He had 6 scholarship FBS players come through there during his tenure, by my count the entire rest of the RGV had maybe 6 combined during that timeframe. Amazingly they routinely bowed out to lesser teams in the playoffs, only reaching the third round 3 times.

They’re in 5A now, draw from a largely nice area, and have a diverse student body by valley standards. The right coach could really make that school a force. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

Why would he go there ?

The Cedar Park OC left earlier this offseason to be HC of one of the new high schools in San Antonio/ Comal area

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Something to do with your avatar would be my guess.

51 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Bingo... near $160K....

Single school ISD, good facilities too

On 6/5/2021 at 12:04 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I was just thinking about DeMarco Cobbs the other day... Wasn't he semi-famous for landing every recruit he hosted or some such? Guess he's found his niche, but wondered if he couldn't do the B Carrington thing somewhere 

Edited by TommyGufano

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

I was just thinking about DeMarco Cobbs the other day... Wasn't he semi-famous for landing every recruit he hosted or some such? Guess he's found his niche, but wondered if he couldn't do the B Carrington thing somewhere 

I seem to remember a story of him being a fantastic host and another story about him punching someone in the locker room that was bad mouthing the team/university. 

If you are a subscriber, DCTF supposed to hit mailboxes around June 22 or so.

Getting each year's issue  feels a little  like Christmas morning when you were 6-7 again.

HUZZAH!!

The Friday night lights are coming online.

The UIL Legislative Council approved on Tuesday a proposal to allow Friday night Texas high school football games to be streamed live on the web for the 2021 season. The measure, which was voted out of the policy committee, passed the final legislative council by a clear majority — but not unanimous — vote.

The move overturns the longstanding rule prohibiting the live broadcast of Friday night games across the Lone Star State. The rule was suspended in 2020 in light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent attendance restrictions, allowing games to be broadcast live on Friday night for the first time.

In presenting the proposal to the Legislative Council, Policy Committee chair Aaron Hood noted that the majority of school districts surveyed asked for the rule to be changed. Of note, the ruling applies only to online streaming of games; over-the-air broadcasts remain prohibited.