2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

Top games this week:

LT @ Rockwall

LT getting boatraced 59-35 late.  Jeez, their defense is getting shredded.

North Shore @ Westfield

Westfield 27-21.

Midland Legacy (nee Lee) @ Arlington Martin

Martin rallies to win 43-37.

Round Rock @ CP

Dragons 21-17.

Cedar Hill @ Allen

Allen 35-16

Katy @ Dickinson

Katy hangs on 28-21.

Canyon @ NB

Unicorns 35-21.

Ennis @ Waxahachie

Ennis 22-21.  Ennis got a TD late and 2 and the win.  

George Ranch @ Dawson

Saturday?

Bridgeland @ TWHS

Bridgeland 49-35

Liberty Hill @ Georgetown

LH 17-13.

LaVega @ Austin LBJ

LBJ 28-7.  Wow.

Celina @ Argyle

Argyle 23-0.  The Eagles are the team to beat in 4A1...again.

CC Miller @ Sinton

Miller 34-30.

Lampassas @ Wimberley

Wimbo 45-21.  Badgers are not much without Ace Whitehead.

Paris @ Pleasant Grove

Paris 31-14.  PG is now 1-2.

Franklin @ Yoe

Yoemen get blasted 41-21.

Cuero @ Yoakum

Gobblers 28-12.

Albany @ Hamlin

Albany 50-0.  Jebus.  

• Hook 'Em 5

On 9/5/2021 at 3:00 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Regents 55 Connally 0

I know Regents is the best ins TAPPs but isn't Connally a 5A team?

Holy crap.  Couldn't believe this score. 

Regents has a hell of a program.  They really whipped a Wimberley team that ended up playing for the state championship a couple of years ago.  

Here is the 100% sunshine-pumping free review of Westlake's moral loss to Mansfield Summit. As always, this is dedicated to @Ricky's one-hitter.

Tricked by a hostile Westlake AD into a scheduling mismatch, Coach Dodge's team was forced to face off against a much-superior 5A power, Mansfield Summit. The game provided much proof that Dodge is wise to make this season his last, as he will no-doubt be handed his papers following the season's end.

Sure enough, Summit dominated the disorganized, undersized and poorly coached Chaps from beginning to end. After spotting the Chaps a score on the game's first possession just to get the ball faster, Mansfield proceeded to move up and down the field at will, and scored to tie the game at 14-7. From then on, the 5A powerhouse steamrolled the Chaps to a 24-7 deficit that was much closer than the score would indicate. The second half was even bleaker for Westlake. Realizing that they were hopelessly outmatched, the Chaps struggled as best they could, but were powerless to prevent Summit from closing the gap to 59-14. In a move that smelled of desperation, Dodge turned to his 3rd string to stem the tide and Mansfield responded with a "rub-it-in" TD on the last play of the game to cap the score at 59-21.

Like King Darius III at Gaugamela, Dodge could only look on in sorrow at his approaching demise. The only question is like Darius, would his underlings put Dodge to the sword, or whether the district's administration will provide the fatal strike.

NEXT MORAL LOSS: Del Valle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Here is the 100% sunshine-pumping free review of Westlake's moral loss to Mansfield Summit. As always, this is dedicated to @Ricky's one-hitter.

Tricked by a hostile Westlake AD into a scheduling mismatch, Coach Dodge's team was forced to face off against a much-superior 5A power, Mansfield Summit. The game provided much proof that Dodge is wise to make this season his last, as he will no-doubt be handed his papers following the season's end.

Sure enough, Summit dominated the disorganized, undersized and poorly coached Chaps from beginning to end. After spotting the Chaps a score on the game's first possession just to get the ball faster, Mansfield proceeded to move up and down the field at will, and scored to tie the game at 14-7. From then on, the 5A powerhouse steamrolled the Chaps to a 24-7 deficit that was much closer than the score would indicate. The second half was even bleaker for Westlake. Realizing that they were hopelessly outmatched, the Chaps struggled as best they could, but were powerless to prevent Summit from closing the gap to 59-14. In a move that smelled of desperation, Dodge turned to his 3rd string to stem the tide and Mansfield responded with a "rub-it-in" TD on the last play of the game to cap the score at 59-21.

Like King Darius III at Gaugamela, Dodge could only look on in sorrow at his approaching demise. The only question is like Darius, would his underlings put Dodge to the sword, or whether the district's administration will provide the fatal strike.

NEXT MORAL LOSS: Del Valle. 

I’m enjoying this series

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Luckily missed the Texas best down as son had HS game. Saw something I have never seen and likely never will ever again at any level.

Scoop and score on a punt.... Punt team punter apparently thought they were going for it and didn't realize everyone on the punt team was on the field but him. Add to that the center didn't realize and the up man didn't when he signalled for snap. Great snap too.... D winger went and scooped and scored.  🤣.  Game was tied at the time too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Luckily missed the Texas best down as son had HS game. Saw something I have never seen and likely never will ever again at any level.
Scoop and score on a punt.... Punt team punter apparently thought they were going for it and didn't realize everyone on the punt team was on the field but him. Add to that the center didn't realize and the up man didn't when he signalled for snap. Great snap too.... D winger went and scooped and scored.  .  Game was tied at the time too.
So they punt-snapped without a punter back there?

Sarkisian is intrigued.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

So they punt-snapped without a punter back there?

Sarkisian is intrigued.

I was yelling to call time out as we were in return and I assumed they were going for it.

Snapper got a good twenty plus yards on the snap.

Right before the snap you see the coach/punter realize it and he's running on the field. Got about a foot on the field when it was snapped.

• Hook 'Em 1

Westlake looked pretty good last Friday, especially playing another opponent from the D/FW area.

I love watching TXHSFB “Extra” now on Bally late Friday nights. Craig Way and crew do a marvelous job covering THSFB. Their presentation, for years, has to be “unmatched” Nationwide!

I usually record it, because sometimes, depending on where my crew works, it’s damn near 1:00 AM before I get home. For officials, we usually go over the game we just officiated and complete our “foul report”, which usually takes about 30 mins, then shower, and drive to our original rendezvous location, so we can all drive home.

When I get home I’ll decompress and start watching it, sometimes longer than others, depending on if I have to officiate a sub-varsity game on Saturday morning, somewhere in the SA area. We are so short-handed with officials state-wide, that some weeks I actually officiate games Tues/Wed through Saturday! I thank the Lord that my employer views my officiating as almost like volunteering/community service, because it’s a time toll during the season for officials and your employer.

If anyone is even slightly interested in FB officiating, you can go to TASO.org. There is listed any questions one might have and ways to sign up. We’d love to have you next year!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Last Friday I officiated a game with two “smaller” schools SW of San Antonio. The one-school towns really help on atmosphere, as the bleachers might be smaller, but they’re full of Friday Night Lights Fans!

Great game by both teams and the home team won. We even had a game where only eleven fouls were counted and it was 5 vs 6!

This Friday is I have a team from S of Austin playing a SA team and one is 3-0, the other 2-1, so it should be exiting for all participants, including the officials! Best of luck to all involved this year, in all capacities, in TXHSFB: supporting staff of students like cheer, dance, and band. Especially, the players and coaches for what they go through throughout the season! Parents too! Your presence means more to your kids than you’ll ever imagine!

I’ve officiated games before, that a team will have 60+ players, 100+ band members, and numerous cheer/dance squads and only see roughly 100-150 people in the stands. People need to make supporting their kids more of a priority!

MSUColt Out!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 10:40 PM, Beau Vine said:

Regents has a hell of a program.  They really whipped a Wimberley team that ended up playing for the state championship a couple of years ago.  

Yeah, I live nearby and try to get to a game every season.  Great program, indeed.  But a small private school beating a 5A team by 9 touchdowns was crazy then and still crazy now.   Could speak to how bad Connally is but they played Austin High straight up so they can't be terrible. 

My son played i9 flag football in Westlake one season about 4 or 5 years ago. He was placed on a team that was mostly all kids from Regents. That team of 4th graders had been together for several seasons already, and was a well-oiled machine of coaching and system. They all knew all the plays in the playbook, how to run an effective zone defense. How to execute ruching the passer, etc.

They've got the Westlake model, but in a private school. They've figured out the model for identifying young talent and coaching them through many seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

My son played i9 flag football in Westlake one season about 4 or 5 years ago. He was placed on a team that was mostly all kids from Regents. That team of 4th graders had been together for several seasons already, and was a well-oiled machine of coaching and system. They all knew all the plays in the playbook, how to run an effective zone defense. How to execute ruching the passer, etc.

They've got the Westlake model, but in a private school. They've figured out the model for identifying young talent and coaching them through many seasons. 

They do it with almost exclusively volunteer coaches, many who have been there for 10+ years. A good number of the coaches have played in College with a couple spending time in the NFL. They are similar to Westlake in that they have a history of success. This energizes the younger kids to want to play, so their participation percentages are off the charts compared to other local private schools. This has bred some real talent, there are 3-4 D1 players on this years team. My son has been in the program since middle school and is a starter on varsity this year. It has been a tremendous experience. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Last Friday I officiated a game with two “smaller” schools SW of San Antonio. The one-school towns really help on atmosphere, as the bleachers might be smaller, but they’re full of Friday Night Lights Fans!

Great game by both teams and the home team won. We even had a game where only eleven fouls were counted and it was 5 vs 6!

This Friday is I have a team from S of Austin playing a SA team and one is 3-0, the other 2-1, so it should be exiting for all participants, including the officials! Best of luck to all involved this year, in all capacities, in TXHSFB: supporting staff of students like cheer, dance, and band. Especially, the players and coaches for what they go through throughout the season! Parents too! Your presence means more to your kids than you’ll ever imagine!

I’ve officiated games before, that a team will have 60+ players, 100+ band members, and numerous cheer/dance squads and only see roughly 100-150 people in the stands. People need to make supporting their kids more of a priority!

MSUColt Out!

I know which game you are doing (they are both in our district) and I am really curious to see how the South of Austin team really looks.  We didn't get to play them last year due to COVID and it is my opinion that their first three games have been against ZERO competition.   They will probably steamroll the SA team this week but I look forward to our game with them in a couple of weeks. 

We play my alma mater this week, so that should be fun.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Top games of Week 4 (very thin week; lots of byes?)

DeSoto @ Duncanville

Atascocita @ Guyer

Denison @ Lovejoy

Wagner @ SV

Rockwall @ HP

Liberty Hill @ LBJ

WOS @ Newton

Cisco @ Jim Ned

Spearman @ Vega

Helobious Special: Mission @ Edinburg North

Rockwall is really going after all the rich white school infinity stones. Damn. 

Horrific weekend for football, bama/UF is the only good college game and that’s gonna be a blowout. Already got my eye on bird bowl in 2 weeks. South’s new coach has finally unleashed that group’s potential. Kind of a rocky start for the Cards & they have a QB controversy. South is really hyping that game up, they know it’s the best chance to end the streak in a few years. Wouldn’t be shocked if ESPN sends a crew down. 

• Haha 1

I’ve also noticed the OG SA northside schools seem to be rising from the dead. Taft, Jay, Marshall, Holmes all off to good starts after being bottom feeders for 20 years. I guess they stopped getting pillaged by new schools a few years ago and finally got stable feeding partterns going. Will be interesting to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I’ve also noticed the OG SA northside schools seem to be rising from the dead. Taft, Jay, Marshall, Holmes all off to good starts after being bottom feeders for 20 years. I guess they stopped getting pillaged by new schools a few years ago and finally got stable feeding partterns going. Will be interesting to watch. 

I think it’s homes around the new schools becoming too expensive for a lot of families and outside loop 1604 so more family’s are moving into the old homes between 410/1604

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

New Braunfels beats Judson for the first time in 11 years, 24-21. All is not well in Rocketland.

That shocked me...  Have to wonder if the newer schools in the Judson ISD is finally making an impact?  I know Judson also lost some players to Private schools in SA as well over the last few season.  Cornerstone for one.

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it’s homes around the new schools becoming too expensive for a lot of families and outside loop 1604 so more family’s are moving into the old homes between 410/1604

This would be a good explanation.    I wonder if Churchill and Madison will be next?

49 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That shocked me...  Have to wonder if the newer schools in the Judson ISD is finally making an impact?  I know Judson also lost some players to Private schools in SA as well over the last few season.  Cornerstone for one.

They still have talent but the depth isn’t there like it used to be. Judson actually got their star safety back this year after he played at cornerstone last year. A few of those kids realized it’s a fraud program and transferred out. Cornerstone has gotten blown out twice this year already. 

46 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This would be a good explanation.    I wonder if Churchill and Madison will be next?

Madison is already the 2nd biggest NEISD school. 3300 kids I think. It’s also just getting rougher & rougher. They don’t fit the criteria. Churchill is like Clark, old established school that draws from a bunch of nice areas and a few not so nice areas. I don’t really see either one changing much anytime soon, for better or for worse.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

They still have talent but the depth isn’t there like it used to be. Judson actually got their star safety back this year after he played at cornerstone last year. A few of those kids realized it’s a fraud program and transferred out. Cornerstone has gotten blown out twice this year already. 

Madison is already the 2nd biggest NEISD school. 3300 kids I think. It’s also just getting rougher & rougher. They don’t fit the criteria. Churchill is like Clark, old established school that draws from a bunch of nice areas and a few not so nice areas. I don’t really see either one changing much anytime soon, for better or for worse.

I forgot about Clark.   Back in my day, Clark, Churchill, Marshall, Madison, along with Judson were the big bad wolves of the north for we valley boys. Holmes had a run too. 

Top games of Week 4 (very thin week; lots of byes?)

DeSoto @ Duncanville

Duncanville 42-21

Atascocita @ Guyer

Guyer 46-35

Denison @ Lovejoy

Lovejoy 49-7

Wagner @ SV

Rangers 42-14

Rockwall @ HP

Scots 52-31

Liberty Hill @ LBJ

LBJ 41-34

WOS @ Newton

WOS 40-26

Cisco @ Jim Ned

Jim Ned 28-14

Spearman @ Vega

Spearman 24-6

Helobious Special: Mission @ Edinburg North

Mission 28-24

Can't believe I missed this one:  Navarro 29, Cuero 27

MOAR:  Silsbee 30, TPleasant Grove 20

Glen Rose 54, Grandview 24  

Edited by Beau Vine

On 9/16/2021 at 4:38 PM, Helobious said:

Right on cue, Holmes beats O’Connor tonight for the first time since 2001, breaking an 0-17 skid. No ones getting carjacked at Ingram Park Mall tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

O'Connor is terrible this year.

Still hard to imagine for someone who’s followed SA football for a while. Don’t know what happened to OC, they seem to have fallen off the planet for no reason. Brennan, Steele, and SV are running SA this year. Reagan, Brandeis, Johnson a tier below. 

I officiated a game last night for a team South of Austin versus a team from SA. The. Visitor was markedly better than the host, but we had so many fouls (on both teams) that the game went beyond three hours! Over 30 fouls were counted for both teams, but it was apparently out of hand going in to the 4th

Usually most games (on average) have between 15-20 fouls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I officiated a game last night for a team South of Austin versus a team from SA. The. Visitor was markedly better than the host, but we had so many fouls (on both teams) that the game went beyond three hours! Over 30 fouls were counted for both teams, but it was apparently out of hand going in to the 4th

Usually most games (on average) have between 15-20 fouls.

Really appreciate your work as an official.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1