2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

And @Helobious, I know you didn’t care for my “Valley teams play dirty” comment, and I apologized, but one of the North players just took out our kicker long after an extra point for his second personal foul and was ejected from the game. Now we just committed our 2nd consecutive personal foul so it’s getting chippy. 56-0 in 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Who is taking the players thy recruited into town? Honest question, I’m not in Texas so not sure on who the up-and-coming programs are. 

Except Brock. They decided they wanted to play football finally and immediately started kicking ass. 

Aledo was ranked #1 and were the favorites to win state. They still got talent, they just got upset.

Plus, SOC has D1 talent too.

Who is taking the players thy recruited into town? Honest question, I’m not in Texas so not sure on who the up-and-coming programs are. 

Except Brock. They decided they wanted to play football finally and immediately started kicking ass. 

That’s a question that has several answers. No one is moving to aledo anymore just for athletics. They’re growing at an insane rate and across all demographics. The folks that were moving to Aledo for athletics/academic purposes are now going elsewhere, and yes that is to a large degree Brock but not exclusively at all. Aledo was a magnet this last decade just like SLC was in the 00’s. Now that the city has closed in they’ve lost their appeal to the family of a 4* blue chip in a small town that wants that small town feel but with the big time football.

Don’t get me started on Brock. They should have at least one more state title. Chad Worrell is a goob.

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

And @Helobious, I know you didn’t care for my “Valley teams play dirty” comment, and I apologized, but one of the North players just took out our kicker long after an extra point for his second personal foul and was ejected from the game. Now we just committed our 2nd consecutive personal foul so it’s getting chippy. 56-0 in 3rd. 

PSJA North plays dirty and always has. The PSJA schools and Brownsville Rivera have institutionalized that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

You have mentioned how almost every Westlake blowout has turned chippy this year or at least involved cheap shots. This game looks like no exception, so what’s it matter where a team is from. It’s football, things get contentious in blowouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

You have mentioned how almost every Westlake blowout has turned chippy this year or at least involved cheap shots. This game looks like no exception, so what’s it matter where a team is from. It’s football, things get contentious in blowouts. 

Not all of them but many of them. This one was no exception. Heck, last week, New Braunfels took out one of our best linemen with a dirty hit. But that North team got frustrated and ended the game looking dirty. 

Oops, that’s right, Brock won big. What a crazy day.

Worrell held Brock back for the last several years with his offense. They’ve got the horses to run with the big boys, I just didn’t think Mathis had enough brain cells to make it work this quickly. Mathis is experiencing and benefiting from the same influx of talent now that Worrell did 8-9 years ago. As long as he stays out of his own way this ship will sail itself for the next few years

Holy shit, what a day!

6AD1
R1:  Southlake Carroll (12-0) vs Lewisville (11-1), 2 p.m. Saturday at Coppell  The Fighting Farmers have already pulled a couple of upsets, but it would be a shock to see them win this.  Winner gets Trinity-Allen.

R2:  Swapping opponents from the 2020 matchups that saw the DFW schools win both of these.  

Duncanville (10-1) vs Spring (11-1), 7 p.m. Saturday at Frisco
DeSoto (10-2) vs Spring Westfield (12-0), 4 p.m. Saturday at San Antonio

I think Duncanville is probably the best team of the four.  Spring's only loss is to Westfield.  At some point, we I have to accept that Desoto’s Judson loss was a fluke and recognize that they’re a really good team whose only other loss is to Duncanville and they’ve kicked the shit out of every other team they’ve played, including a really good Rockwall team last week.

R3:  Fort Bend Ridge Point (11-1) vs Humble Atascocita (10-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Houston  This is a great matchup, as Ridge Point seems to be peaking, and Atascocita got pretty lucky to get past Dickinson last week.  I'd bet on the best player, and that's RP's Bert Emmanuel Jr.  Winner gets Tompkins-North Shore.

24-21 Atascocita.  Emmanuel looked pretty mediocre from what I saw.  Eagles looked big and very athletic.  North Shore beat Tompkins 26-20.

R4: Austin Bowie (10-2) vs San Antonio Brennan (12-0), 7 p.m. Friday at New Braunfels
I watched Bowie beat a verrry slow Smithson Valley team last Friday; didn’t seem to have much offensively other than a shifty little RB. Brennan is probably the best team in SA, but who has any idea how good that makes them?  Winner gets LT-Laredo US.

Brennan 59-36.  Will Helobious pick them to beat LT?  I say yes.

6A DII
1: Guyer’s JV could win this region. I bet they will get playing time.

2: This is too spicy to pick one:

Cedar Hill (8-4) vs Cypress Bridgeland (10-2), 2 p.m. Saturday at Waco’s Waco ISD Stadium
Rockwall-Heath (11-1) vs Tomball (9-3), 8 p.m. Saturday at San Antonio

Bridgeland has been winning, but not convincingly.  CH’s loses are to Rockwall, Allen, Desoto, and D’Ville, so those records are deceiving.  Heath has scored 636 points this season.

3.  Katy (12-0) vs Houston King (10-2), 12 p.m. Friday at Katy  King has established themselves as an H-town power under coach Derek Fitzhenry (yeah, him), but Katy will be too much for them.

41-24 Katy

4. Austin Vandegrift (11-1) vs Edinburg Vela (12-0), 4 p.m. Friday at Corpus
Valley teams usually get blown out this week because they lack the caliber of defense necessary to compete.  But Vela has allowed just 93 points all season; unfortunately 24 came last week against Taft, and Vandy is a lot better than Taft.

Vandy 38-14.  They get Westlake next.

5AD1

R1: Amarillo Tascosa (10-2) vs Colleyville Heritage (11-1), 3 p.m. Saturday at Wichita Falls  One of the better running jokes on Texags started when a poster claimed that Tascosa has three guys faster than Brenan Thompson.  If true, they have a shot to beat CH.

2: Denton Ryan (11-1) vs Longview (9-3), 3 p.m. Friday at Mesquite  Ryan beat the Lobos 40-7 back in Week 0, and I have a hard time getting past that, even though Longview is vastly improved, and the Raiders’ offense is verrrry shaky.  I also think LV will have trouble getting past Anthony Hill, who looks to me like the most “must-have” recruit in 2023.

Ryan got out to a 34-14 lead and hung on to beat the Lobos for the 3rd time in 11 months, 37-33.  College Station next week.  

3: Manvel (10-2) vs Fort Bend Hightower (10-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Sugar Land  District rematch, as the Hurricanes pulled a 16-12 upset two months ago.  I think the it’s-tough-to-beat-a-good-team-twice thing is usually bullshit, but I’ll take Manvel here, simply because they look like a better team now.

HT up 31-21, gonna win absent complete weirdness.

4: Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial (11-1) vs McAllen Memorial (11-1), 3 p.m. Friday at Corpus  Vets is probably favored in this game, but McM slobberknocked a Victoria West team that Vets struggled with during the regular season and McM’s only loss was in August to undefeated Vela, so don't be shocked to see an RGV team in the region finals against the Flour Bluff/GP winner.  

CC Vets blew open a 7-0 game at half and won 35-0.  Flour Bluff leads 44-37 in a really fun one.  

5AD2

R1: Rider and Lubbock Cooper will be dispatching outmanned opponents in anticipation of their annual regional final meeting next week.

They did, by 20 and 21 points.

2: Aledo (12-0) vs South Oak Cliff (10-1), 2 p.m. Friday at Mansfield  I mean, if Aledo is going to lose, it will be a matchup like this, right?  SOC’s only loss was Week 1 to Duncanville.  Aledo’s lowest point total this season is 35. 

How fun is this?

3: College Station A&M Consolidated (10-2) vs Crosby (10-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Cypress  Crosby gets the edge in this one and will probably get a badass Texarkana team next week.

Crosby had a comfortable lead and won 53-50.  Texark wins 44-21.  

4: Leander Rouse (11-1) vs Liberty Hill (10-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Pflugerville
LH is actually winning with a tough D this season; Rouse’s only loss was in early Sept to Weiss. I want to pick Rouse, but LH’s O is so tough to plan for that I'm not very confident.

Rouse just couldn't get their D off the field in the 2nd half.  56-33 LH.  

4AD1

R1: Dumas (9-2) vs Wichita Falls Hirschi (10-2), 3 p.m. Friday at Plainview
This could be a really good one.  I think the Demons have the better overall resume, but Hirschi is on such a roll, with 10 straight wins.

Dumas led at half, but the Huskies rallied for a 41-22 win behind 340 rushing yards.  They get the winner of some El Paso school-Springtown.

2: Stephenville (12-0) vs Argyle (11-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Mansfield  Argyle is lacking the usual stellar QB that makes them unbeatable, but the Eagles usually win state behind a huge line and a good RB, so not sure that matters that much.  Both teams have played really tough schedules, so it’s a shame they’re matching up in playoff week 3 instead of week 5.

21-17 S'ville, as Argyle's QB play does them in.  'jackets will play Melissa next week, who spanked LaVega 41-14

3: Little Cypress-Mauriceville (10-2) vs El Campo (11-1), 6 p.m. Friday at Shenandoah  If the Ricebirds get *ANY* defense, they’re tough to beat because their offense is ridiculous.  LCM is pretty damn good, but an offense averaging only 31 ppg looks like what El Campo will feast on.

LCM with a 24-21 shocker.  I'm going to watch this one later tonight to see what happened to the El Campo offense.

4: Austin LBJ (12-0) vs Boerne (9-2), 12 p.m. Saturday at San Antonio  There’s no reason to doubt LBJ any more. The Greyhounds did play their best game of the year last week, pasting CC Miller 63-13, so maybe they can keep it close.

4AD2

R1: Two routs are upcoming as Aubrey and Celina will have a rematch in the Reg final.

Yep, won by 35 and 40.

R2: Texarkana Pleasant Grove (7-5) vs Quinlan Ford (12-0), 1 p.m. Friday at Mount Pleasant  I would not be surprised at all if TPG wins this.  QF hasn’t played nearly as tough a schedule, and this is as far as the school has ever advanced, and they won last week because the time ran out on Pittsburg as they tried to get the FG team on.

Yep, TPG is still alive, 17-7.  Next week they get Gilmer, who outclassed Van 56-35.

R3: How does a region where the teams are a combined 54-1 sound?

China Spring (12-0) vs Carthage (11-0), 5 p.m. Friday at Prosper’s Children’s Health Stadium
West Orange-Stark (10-1) vs Bellville (12-0), 6 p.m. Friday at Porter’s Randall Reed Stadium

Carthage’s offense looks a little subpar, so they look less invincible than at any time in the past two seasons.  CS has outscored opponents 591-122, so they’re capable of winning.
Bellville has matched WOS’s famous Chain Gang defense with 116 points allowed all season, plus they have an amazing running attack.  

Watched both of these and they were incredible.  China Spring just took it to Carthage from the opening kickoff.  If you knew nothing about either team, they were clearly better, winning 27-17 after building a 24-7 lead.  Carthage had won 41 in a row and 81 of 82.

In retrospect, WOS was a nightmare matchup for Bellville's one-dimensional offense.  The Mustangs were all over them, winning 36-17.

R4: Cuero (11-1) vs Wimberley (10-2), 12 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  Classic matchup here.  Cuero beat Wimbo 21-3 early in the season; the Texans played most of that game with their 3rd-string QB due to injuries.  Wimberley has been nearly flawless in the playoffs, with a 122-0 combined score.  Sticking my neck out here because everyone else is calling it a tossup – Wimberley wins easily.

36-26 Gobblers.  The wife is convinced that Wimberley lost this because of all the games they had to play against shitty charter schools in their district.  That definitely didn't help, but Cuero played great, and are well-coached by Jack Alvarez, and Wimberley had more penalties than the Cowboys yesterday.  Gobs get Navarro, who beat Sinton 29-28 in OT, next week.

3AD1

R1: Tuscola Jim Ned (12-0) vs Brock (12-0), 2 p.m. Friday at Brownwood  Another game that’s happening too early, as this should be a state title game.  Brock’s closest game was 19 points, but the Indians have played a tougher schedule and they have the experience of winning it all the hard way in 2020, so give me JN.

<whiff>  70-25 Brock.  Got damn.  The Eagles had 657 yards on 62 plays.  They get a rematch next with Whitesboro, who finished third in Brock's district, but spanked Shallowater 50-25.  Brock won the first game 42-21.

2: Mount Vernon (12-0) vs Gladewater (9-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Sulphur Spring MV not missing Art Briles much.  Their closest game was 41-21.  Gladewater’s losses are to Gilmer and Kilgore, and they just spanked Grandview last week, so the Bears will be ready to play.

MV 40-14.  Are we sure Art is gone?  West, who knocked off Malakoff 14-12 is next. 

3: Lorena (10-2) vs Columbus (10-2), 1:30 p.m. Friday at San Marcos  Columbus has been a trendy pick for state, but Lorena looks like a better team to me.  The Leps lost their first two games to Franklin and China Spring, and have rolled since.

Lorena was the better team from the opening whistle, winning 62-13.  Columbus's QB is a freshman, and he threw 5 picks.  Next is Diboll, who beat Little River-Academy 37-34.

4: San Diego (10-1) vs Vanderbilt Industrial (10-2), 7 p.m. Friday at San Antonio  Vandy has to be heavily favored in this, but Llano was more heavily favored last week and the Vaqueros beat them, so who knows?

Vandy 38-6.  Lago Vista, who edged Edna 33-29, next.

3AD2

R1:  Abernathy (11-1) vs Canadian (9-3), 2 p.m. Friday at Amarillo  Worst Canadian team in years, but someone has to kill them.  I think Abernathy has that team, as they have a good enough QB to exploit the mediocre Wildcat D.

Abernathy 37-26, to set up a rematch with Roosevelt, who won 50-14.

2: Two blowouts should set up a Holliday-Gunter battle for the region final.

Holliday only beat Bells 21-14, but Gunter won 62-20.

3: West Rusk (12-0) vs Daingerfield (10-2), 6 p.m. Thursday at Longview  Daingerfield has got it going; they avenged a loss last weekend by beating Elysian Fields by 40.  WR has scored at least 24 every game, so this should be a shootout.

Daingerfield blew a 28-7 lead but won 50-28.  Waskom, who spanked Newton 42-6, awaits.

4: Two blowouts with Franklin and Poth administering the beatings.

Poth 27-14, Franklin 60-0.

2AD1

R1: Hawley (12-0) vs Coleman (11-0), 6 p.m. Friday at Abilene  This looks like a typo, but Coleman has allowed 51 points all season, with 5 shutouts.  Hawley has allowed only 73, and went from 9/10 to 11/5 without allowing a point.  

Hawley won the predictable defensive battle 21-7.

R2: Crawford and Tolar should win easily.

Crawford held off Italy 20-13, but Tolar got spanked by Marlin, 52-36

R3: Timpson and Centerville should win easily.

Timpson by 14 and Centerville by 21.

R4: Shiner and Refugio will win easily.

54-7 and 67-21 for the Bobcats and Comanches.

2AD2

R1: Wellington (8-3) vs Gruver (10-1), 4 p.m. Friday at Canyon  Gruver has had the better season overall, but Wellington has gotten really hot and has much more winning history, so I don’t know how you pick against them.

Yep.  Skyrockets 36-8.  Stratford next week.

R2: Two great matchups here…

Santo (11-1) vs Windthorst (11-1), 1 p.m. Friday at Graham
Muenster (12-0) vs Albany (11-0), 2 p.m. Friday at Springtown

Santo’s loss is to Albany; Windthorst’s is to Muenster.  Albany has outscored opponents 598-55.  I’ll take Albany and Santo in a district sweep.

Windthorst 40-7 and Albany 34-21.   This will be a great one next week.

R3: Mart and Chilton will both roll and have a district rematch next week.

MArt won by 48; Chilton by 36.

R4: Eldorado (10-1) vs Falls City (11-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Cedar Park  FC will win this simply because they have a much better D.

Falls City 50-25.  Burton next week.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 9

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Hitching my wagon to SA Brennan now, last south Texas team standing. They have a good chance against Bowie tomorrow. I think whoever wins that game is beating LT. Everyone talks about how down LT is, only scoring 35 points on a Laredo team confirms it. 

Bowie has already lost to LT 52-21....not even close...during the regular season...fwiw.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

The Flour Bluff/GP game has crossed the line from hilariously inept to thrilling.  FB led 44-30 midway through 4th.  GP got a TD and now just blocked a punt for another TD with under 3 minutes.  One of FB's TDs was them lining up #70 in the Wildcat, they snapped to him and he threw a jump pass to a wide open TE.  They also nailed a hook-and-latter for about 50 yards.  And just kicked a 25-y FG to win 47-44.  They play CC Vets next week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

My kids Ridge Point panthers couldn't pull out the victory from a solid Atascocita team, losing 24-21. Had a great season and QB BJ Emmanuel finished with I believe 31 passings TDs with ZERO interceptions.

Kam Dewberry loves to pull, talk smack, finish blocks to the whistle just plain mean dude until the whistle blows. He's all his billed at, really hoping Texas gets him.

As for Atascocita vs North Shore, I haven't watch as much North Shore this year, but I don't see this Atascocita matching up well with the typical NS teams so don't expect that one to be very close.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Nice.

Wonder if Vandergrift will make it at all interesting with WL. 

Vandy always plays the Chaps tough. Not sure they can hang w us for 4 quarters bu they won’t be afraid. I like how their coach, who is the only coach they’ve ever had, likes to say he’s the coach with the most wins in their history. 

Beauvine seems to lament all Regions not being like Westlake's who doesn't fucking play anyone until Round 5 or Region I in the big schools...

Week 3 is the first real week of the playoffs for deeper Regions.

and Beauvine, much respect for the work you do on the recap, I'm kinda of just razzing you, but you made the comment more than once that you felt certain matchups happened too early, with regard to teams in the same Region.  They're gonna play this week( wk 3) unless they were also in the same district( Wk 4.)

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Here we go sabercats. Vela changes QBs and gets on the board. 28-7 Vandy in the 3rd. 

How good was Cedar Park supposed to be? Katy Paetow just beat them 65-14. I believe it’s Paetow’s 1st season playing varsity football. Maybe 2nd.

Paetow is at about 3100 enrollment right now, and they're pretty good. It's their 4th season, may have played one without seniors 

Here's a rabbit hole link some a y'all junkies might enjoy.  You can look up old coaches or your schools' histories.
https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/
and  [mention=3142]Dennis Taylor[/mention]   is right, 2021 is Paetow's 4th varsity season.

Do you remember Texas Bob and Lonny from the 5a site? Bob was next level need status about stadiums and it was awesome.

And then Lonny would drive all night from Wichita Falls to watch the Itasca Wampuscats play the Borger Bulldogs in a preseason game in Alpine. That goof had some of the most obscure football knowledge I’ve ever seen

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

Do you remember Texas Bob and Lonny from the 5a site? Bob was next level need status about stadiums and it was awesome.

And then Lonny would drive all night from Wichita Falls to watch the Itasca Wampuscats play the Borger Bulldogs in a preseason game in Alpine. That goof had some of the most obscure football knowledge I’ve ever seen

I still talk with Lonny occasionally.  He's in California now...who woulda thunk it?  We went to Windthorst vs Munday playoff game at Wichita Falls 2007 or so, and Lonny met me and my boys for lunch, for which he paid.  Then we went to the game and he was something to behold.  Dude would talk to everyone like they loved football as much as he did.  He was totally in his element, holding court in the stands before the game.   I was amazed and laughing inside.

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Paetow is at about 3100 enrollment right now, and they're pretty good. It's their 4th season, may have played one without seniors 

Isn’t that about the same as Katy High?

How’d that work. They’re 5A right now, so they added 1-2k kids in two years, is that a normal thing for new schools?

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Here's a rabbit hole link some a y'all junkies might enjoy.  You can look up old coaches or your schools' histories.

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/

and  @Dennis Taylor   is right, 2021 is Paetow's 4th varsity season.

Thanks for the link.  That’s a lot of reminiscing for me on that site. 

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This team knocked off the defending state champions in non district and beat SA Warren on the way to a 4th round exit:

If you want to go further back and small schools, Port Isabel advanced to the semis in 1994 (beating a good Cuero team along the way) and 2003, where they went down to a very good Liberty Hill.

Like I said, few and far between and you know them when you see them. 

Edit:  PI Beat Liberty Hill in 2003 and went down to Altair Rice in the semis.

Brownsville St. Joseph. TCIL champs, '77. That was a long bus ride home to Waco. 

Just watched Austin LBJ just dog stomp Boerne High.  Did hear Boerne High suspended a number of kids for getting busted with alcohol at a party.     Don’t know how I feel about this?    LBJ still wins, but maybe 20 or so instead of 40 plus.    The Boerne coach made some dumb play calls  on 4th down to which gave LBJ three easy scores.  

Springtown leads EP Riverside 21-7 at the half with Riverside getting stuffed on 1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line at the buzzer to end the first half. Springtown must have eaten their Wheaties this morning because I did not see them putting up 21 all game let alone in the first half. Even more unimaginable was that they would be able to contain the EP qb.

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Beauvine seems to lament all Regions not being like Westlake's who doesn't fucking play anyone until Round 5 or Region I in the big schools...

Week 3 is the first real week of the playoffs for deeper Regions.

and Beauvine, much respect for the work you do on the recap, I'm kinda of just razzing you, but you made the comment more than once that you felt certain matchups happened too early, with regard to teams in the same Region.  They're gonna play this week( wk 3) unless they were also in the same district( Wk 4.)

I don't have the slightest idea what point you're trying to make.  Are you on medication?

• Hook 'Em 1