2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

Interesting thoughts about High School Football survival...

The single most important modern piece of advice for new head coaches and the decision makers that hire them

Could building a bigger, happier roster of kids really boil down to one simple question for new head coaches and the people charged with hiring them? I think it it does. Hear me out...

DOUG SAMUELS    AUG 12, 2021 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-single-most-important-modern-piece-of-advice-for-new-head-coaches-and-the-decision-makers-that-hire-them  

I can't imagine coaching these days.  I doubt I'd last 2-3 weeks before I chewed out the wrong kid or pissed off the wrong parent or didn't accommodate Jimmy's need to miss practice Wednesday because of his pet rock project.

Maybe this group of players is disappearing, but I'd add this group to the article: the kids who aren't talented enough to start, but never miss a practice, a lift, or a set of sprints.  Maybe they don't exist any more...

18 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Trying to decide between subscribing to NFHS or Texan Live to stream games this season. Which one is better? I primarily want to watch games from the Houston/Katy area, but I'd like to be able to watch games from around Texas too. 

In the past, TexanLive is mainly Houston area, though that could change now that they're involved with DCTF.  

They have also had a more reliable stream than NFHS in my experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I can't imagine coaching these days.  I doubt I'd last 2-3 weeks before I chewed out the wrong kid or pissed off the wrong parent or didn't accommodate Jimmy's need to miss practice Wednesday because of his pet rock project.

Maybe this group of players is disappearing, but I'd add this group to the article: the kids who aren't talented enough to start, but never miss a practice, a lift, or a set of sprints.  Maybe they don't exist any more...

Many of the kids that you're thinking of - the kids whose parents would object to running suicides/laps/doing pushups/etc. and just in general wouldn't participate - no longer play tackle football - too many injury risks or CTE or whatever. 

The kids with helicopter parents or that want special accommodations for their kid - they've always been there. It's not much different today, other than just an overall busier schedule that prevents kids from putting 40 hours/week into football.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Today's student's/players are mostly great. Yes, they like to mess around (like all young people do), but they are willing to work hard and genuinely look for guidance. However, they are more sensitive to bullshit from under-qualified, idiot adults who are pretending to be tough-guy coaches to cover up the fact that they don't know what they are doing. Friday Night Tikes is a great example of this. The best coaches don't feel the need to terrorize players as they lead by showing that they care and by earning respect. The parents today are 100% bonkers.      

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

The kids with helicopter parents or that want special accommodations for their kid - they've always been there. It's not much different today, other than just an overall busier schedule that prevents kids from putting 40 hours/week into football.

Amazing story from Westlake from around 15 years ago. One of the parents of a QB commissioned some "QB expert" to do a study which "proved" why his son should start. (I know-what a surprise!) He then presented it to the befuddled coach, who must have thought he was in the Twilight Zone. 

8 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Amazing story from Westlake from around 15 years ago. One of the parents of a QB commissioned some "QB expert" to do a study which "proved" why his son should start. (I know-what a surprise!) He then presented it to the befuddled coach, who must have thought he was in the Twilight Zone. 

Was it a better power point presentation than the one our university put out about NIL?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Shocked that the expert said the kid of the guy who paid him should start. What a coincidence 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas high school football has its first female head coach

“I always wanted to be a coach and always wanted to be a football coach and everybody thought I was crazy,” new Runge head coach Daisy Garcia said last year.

ZACH BARNETT.   16 HOURS AGO  

https://footballscoop.com/news/daisy-garcia-first-female-head-coach-texas-high-school-football

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas high school football has its first female head coach

“I always wanted to be a coach and always wanted to be a football coach and everybody thought I was crazy,” new Runge head coach Daisy Garcia said last year.

ZACH BARNETT.   16 HOURS AGO  

https://footballscoop.com/news/daisy-garcia-first-female-head-coach-texas-high-school-football

Wildcats.jpg.9b4df87ffb2790d561d16917d838d373.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Did Austin ISD’s recapture money pay for this shit like the water park?

SBCISD definitely gets a bunch of robin hood money. Their student body is about 90% low income, neighboring Harlingen & Los Fresnos are both only at about 75-80% low income. SB is probably the most extravagant athletic spender in the RGV. I remember they were the first (or maybe 2nd after Weslaco) down there to get a giant video replay board for the football field. They definitely had the biggest. I don’t know how much if any Robin Hood money harlingen gets but the old folks that run the district definitely don’t put a ton of money towards athletics. 

45 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Not like anyone actually gives a shit about valley football anyway

Tell that to the 15k people that fill up the stadium for Weslaco vs Weslaco East (pre-pandemic anyway). Not too many high school rivalry games can match that. Longview vs Lufkin maybe? Lake Travis vs Westlake? 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s the Tinaco bowl. Happening next Friday. I’ll send you the stream link so you can plan your night around watching it. 

Sounds good. Don’t worry I’m just fucking with you. I’m from a tiny town in East Texas (near Longview consequently) but as an adult living in Houston I don’t really give a shit about the area, but do appreciate when kids make it to UT from the smaller towns up there like Overshown

Same way, love rooting for any small town kid in general. One of the top TX 2022 recruits is a WR from Spearman. I’d never heard of it at all & im a geography junkie. Tiny town in the panhandle by the Oklahoma border. 200 something kids in the high school I think. Never even been to the panhandle but I hope we land him. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Same way, love rooting for any small town kid in general. One of the top TX 2022 recruits is a WR from Spearman. I’d never heard of it at all & im a geography junkie. Tiny town in the panhandle by the Oklahoma border. 200 something kids in the high school I think. Never even been to the panhandle but I hope we land him. 

Brenan Thompson. Has some kind of handler complicating things, but we've still got a good shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2021 at 7:01 AM, LTtxfan said:

Interesting thoughts about High School Football survival...

The single most important modern piece of advice for new head coaches and the decision makers that hire them

Could building a bigger, happier roster of kids really boil down to one simple question for new head coaches and the people charged with hiring them? I think it it does. Hear me out...

DOUG SAMUELS    AUG 12, 2021 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-single-most-important-modern-piece-of-advice-for-new-head-coaches-and-the-decision-makers-that-hire-them  

tl;dr do you like orange slices and cookies? can you bring some for the kids? 

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

Tell that to the 15k people that fill up the stadium for Weslaco vs Weslaco East (pre-pandemic anyway). Not too many high school rivalry games can match that. Longview vs Lufkin maybe? Lake Travis vs Westlake? 

Actually, since LT and Westlake are in the same district now, they play the game at home stadiums, so attendance tops out at about 10.5K. When LT was 5A, they played a couple of times at DKR and attendance was around 30K.

Helobious, now that SpaceX is bringing a lot of capital to the Rio Grande Valley, do you see HS sports programs getting a bump around the Harlingen/Brownsville area? 

I have been to the district stadium in Eagle Pass. It's actually pretty amazing. 

27 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Actually, since LT and Westlake are in the same district now, they play the game at home stadiums, so attendance tops out at about 10.5K. When LT was 5A, they played a couple of times at DKR and attendance was around 30K.

Helobious, now that SpaceX is bringing a lot of capital to the Rio Grande Valley, do you see HS sports programs getting a bump around the Harlingen/Brownsville area? 

I have been to the district stadium in Eagle Pass. It's actually pretty amazing. 

I’ve always wanted to check out one of those games. I know LT dominated for a while but Westlake seems to have turned the tide. Westlake definitely passed LT as a program, not sure what happened to LT. 

I can’t really say. From what I understand it’s only a ~400 person operation down there. They definitely don’t all have families. If I had a family in public school around there I’d want them in Harlingen, LF, or point Isabel (pet peeve, no idea why it’s not port). Brownsville not so much. So in terms of money & actual growth I don’t think it’ll have a huge noticeable impact as far as HS sports. Could be wrong of course. 

It’s nothing like Tesla & Del Valle. But people have been talking about their rise a lot, I’ll wait to see actual results. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

SBCISD definitely gets a bunch of robin hood money. Their student body is about 90% low income, neighboring Harlingen & Los Fresnos are both only at about 75-80% low income. SB is probably the most extravagant athletic spender in the RGV. I remember they were the first (or maybe 2nd after Weslaco) down there to get a giant video replay board for the football field. They definitely had the biggest. I don’t know how much if any Robin Hood money harlingen gets but the old folks that run the district definitely don’t put a ton of money towards athletics. 

SB also has a badass water tower:

Freddy-Fender-5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

San Benito sucks. No matter what they do, it’s still San Benito.

The nicest athletics thing HCISD put up recently is the natatorium. That’s a damn good facility. 

Boggus is a grand old dame. It and Buc Stadium are the perfect places for a game south of San Antonio. They should have left the real turf in though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Wish they would build a pool. What an eyesore.

I figured Harlingen was good because they had the State champ in 100m. He's gone, right?

He gone, will run at UTSA. But he also didn’t play football. Back-to-back Texas 6A 100m champs that didn’t play football. Unthinkable back in the day. 

20 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

San Benito sucks. No matter what they do, it’s still San Benito.

The nicest athletics thing HCISD put up recently is the natatorium. That’s a damn good facility. 

Boggus is a grand old dame. It and Buc Stadium are the perfect places for a game south of San Antonio. They should have left the real turf in though. 

Always liked Sams as well. 

Edited by Helobious

Will be at next weekends Duncanville v Mater Dei game. It’s a good start to the football season. I don’t follow national high school football very closely. However….The last time I remember a number one national team from California coming into Texas was when Euless Trinity beat De La Salle. For those of you who have a little more insight….will history repeat itself? Or is the Cali team a legit number 1?

I like Valley football and love the passion its fans have on here and throughout conversations on different boards.
Helo makes the whole group suspect, however...

Slorch….I thought you were from Wichita Falls? Maybe I’m mistaken. In the event that I’m not…how do you feel about Old High, Rider, and Hirschi being shuttered? Do you think WF high school becomes the powerhouse it once was with two new 6A high schools?

I lived in WF and a neighboring town when I was growing up.  Went to Rider through my junior year, and still have friends in the area.

Don't really have an opinion either way on the changes, but thought it was going to be 2 new schools.  I don't think it will ever be like Old High was in the 'olden days.'.  It could very well be one of the schools being very competitive like Rider has in 5A, but I'd be very surprised to see them consistently be a viable contender for Region I titles, much less 6A State contenders.  Would love to be wrong though...

Anyone on here live in Klein? They must be the only suburban district with $ other than Humble (which hosts tons of big track meets) that still plays in a stadium with a track. Tomball only has 2 schools and they've built a football only facility.  It's not like construction costs will decrease in the future...what's the deal?

8 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Will be at next weekends Duncanville v Mater Dei game. It’s a good start to the football season. I don’t follow national high school football very closely. However….The last time I remember a number one national team from California coming into Texas was when Euless Trinity beat De La Salle. For those of you who have a little more insight….will history repeat itself? Or is the Cali team a legit number 1?

Non-RGV football isn’t my area of expertise, but I have a hard time imagining Mater Dei won’t wipe the floor with Dville. Mater Dei gets the best players from all over SoCal and even a couple out of state move in’s, Dville just gets the best players from South DFW. And I think Dville will have a new QB too. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:50 AM, TreatyOak said:

Today's student's/players are mostly great. Yes, they like to mess around (like all young people do), but they are willing to work hard and genuinely look for guidance. However, they are more sensitive to bullshit from under-qualified, idiot adults who are pretending to be tough-guy coaches to cover up the fact that they don't know what they are doing. Friday Night Tikes is a great example of this. The best coaches don't feel the need to terrorize players as they lead by showing that they care and by earning respect. The parents today are 100% bonkers.      

Pretty much.  In regards to parents , it’s the moms (Karens) who are more of pain in the ass than the Dads and get their feeling hurt if Junior gets his ego crushed.   I’m 49, so my school days were in the 80s and I never saw a mom go full Karen about her kids suffering “abuse” from coaches.   And Dads.   They wouldn’t put up with us being pussies.  

• Hook 'Em 1