Gatlinburg TN and Savannah GA - 2 places that are not in my kitchen

Baboontyme

I found an old Savannah thread - mostly info about partying. I'm probably going to stop for 1 day, 2 nights in each of these places on our way to/from FL this summer. Will find an airBnB. 2 kids, 8 and 11. I haven't been to Gatlinburg in 30 years but from what I remember it was a total tourist trap. Maybe that was Pigeon Forge, can't remember. Anyway, would like to see some cool local things at each place, and if there's a can't miss meal that would be family friendly, I'd be all over that. Does anyone have any experience or recs for either of these? TIA. 

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I found an old Savannah thread - mostly info about partying. I'm probably going to stop for 1 day, 2 nights in each of these places on our way to/from FL this summer. Will find an airBnB. 2 kids, 8 and 11. I haven't been to Gatlinburg in 30 years but from what I remember it was a total tourist trap. Maybe that was Pigeon Forge, can't remember. Anyway, would like to see some cool local things at each place, and if there's a can't miss meal that would be family friendly, I'd be all over that. Does anyone have any experience or recs for either of these? TIA. 

Savannah is great for just walking around and exploring the historic downtown and squares.  There are (or at least were when I last visited) some outstanding restaurants; Google is your friend there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Savannah - we stayed along the port and it was interesting sitting there watching the boats come in and out. We ate at Mrs Wilkes and the Crab Shack on the way out to Tybee, both were good. Past that we walked the downtown area and the waterfront.

Gatlinburg - it’s a tourist trap although you can stay in a cabin outside of town that will be nice enough. Main things to do would be hike the big trails, go to the aquarium, go to Dollywood or any number of kid places, etc. it’s fine for what it is, my kids enjoy going every now and then. You can stay at the convention center if you want the kids to have an indoor water park to keep them busy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to Savannah in May of 2009 and I can’t remember shit about the restaurants other than there’s definitely good eating there. I just remember a charming old town center where we walked in and out of bars taking to-go drinks (you can carry open containers in the historical area) and strolling the day alway. And the drive to Tybee island was pretty.

But as nice as that one visit, I have no real desire to go back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm headed with my family to Gatlinburg area in a month. I searched SUrly awhile back for the thread, and enjoyed the "Fuck G-burg, it is a white trash POS, drive over and stay in Asheville instead" in approximately 90% of the posts. 

Personally, I'm going to enjoy white trash disneyland. I have a 3 year old, and my brother and sister in law have a 4 year old and a 12 year old. If we can enjoy Bolivar peninsula, we can enjoy Gatlinburg. 

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Brew I'm convinced that you are like just some retired millionaire beach bum that travels the S/SE with your kids in a Winnebago. How are you so familiar with so many damn places? I appreciate all of your insight here and over the years. You honestly have helped us experience some kick ass vacations with your knowledge and advice. Cheers brother. 

Sydney def let me know how that goes. Obviously my kids are older. I'm looking at cabins outside of town, probably won't do much touristy shit. Look at some mountains, maybe bait a bear for some selfies in the woods, hike a trail. Isn't there a Civil War battlefield around there? 

2 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Brew I'm convinced that you are like just some retired millionaire beach bum that travels the S/SE with your kids in a Winnebago. How are you so familiar with so many damn places? I appreciate all of your insight here and over the years. You honestly have helped us experience some kick ass vacations with your knowledge and advice. Cheers brother. 

Sydney def let me know how that goes. Obviously my kids are older. I'm looking at cabins outside of town, probably won't do much touristy shit. Look at some mountains, maybe bait a bear for some selfies in the woods, hike a trail. Isn't there a Civil War battlefield around there? 

It's TN. I assume that more than half the state is either a civil war battlefield or a place where there are weekly reenactments. 

I'll check back in. We're staying in cabin somewhere nearby, and there's some wedding events to attend. That being said, I figure a day hiking and driving, a day at dollywood, and a day in downtown G-burg during a mountain coaster and some other stuff, and maybe a day of golf seems reasonable and probably not too insane. 

Asheville is actually an hour closer in relooking at some of the routes. Maybe I will look into that as an alternative. I honestly don't think we'll do much and going into town in G-burg sounds like a scene we would avoid. I have never been to Asheville. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Loved Gburg/PF as a kid(70s), took the wife there and the Smokies, had never been, a few years back on our way back home from Texas.  I couldn't even recognize PF it had grown so much from just the few water slides it had back in the day, and Gburg really hadn't changed all that much.  

I didn't set out to take great pics, i tried to unplug/relax/nap on the wrap around porch, but here's one from last year.  Maybe PF is a trap as some say above but for me it was a pleasant place to visit.  All the nephews loved it.  We'll be back.  That said, take a walk, eat some flapjacks, hike some part of the Smokies, enjoy the fresh air, sleep.  If nothing else stroll the PF main strip with your special lady.  You will do yourself a favor by demonstrating to her, by comparison, how good she has it with you.  Only half a gut, your hobbies don't involve smoke stack mufflers and you maintain all your teeth.  Maybe not.    

2021-05-07.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Before we bought a house at the beach, we traveled this side of the country a lot. You go NE or West Coast and I’m not good for much, but anything south of the Mason Dixon line I’ve traveled extensively. I also have a lot with meetings for work and kid’s cheer, so we usually tack on a couple extra days wherever those may be which has added quite a bit.

With kids, there is nothing wrong with a day or two in Gatlinburg / PF. I’m not going for a week, but we’ll take them for a weekend. There is plenty of hiking in the area, plenty of stuff that kids like to do, etc, it just is what it is. If the wife and I are going, it’s Asheville. If the kids are going, it’s PF.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's TN. I assume that more than half the state is either a civil war battlefield or a place where there are weekly reenactments. 

I'll check back in. We're staying in cabin somewhere nearby, and there's some wedding events to attend. That being said, I figure a day hiking and driving, a day at dollywood, and a day in downtown G-burg during a mountain coaster and some other stuff, and maybe a day of golf seems reasonable and probably not too insane. 

You have the right plan for a Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge trip. Day or two of hiking and seeing Cades Cove and a day or two of doing stuff that kids have fun with.

• Hook 'Em 1

You have the right plan for a Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge trip. Day or two of hiking and seeing Cades Cove and a day or two of doing stuff that kids have fun with.

Pretty much what we did. Cabin outside Gatlinburg and one day Gatlinburg/Pigeon Cove. No desire to go back there. Rest of the time exploring The Smokies. Enjoyed that time. Cades Cove was just beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 12:20 PM, Brew said:

With kids, there is nothing wrong with a day or two in Gatlinburg / PF. I’m not going for a week, but we’ll take them for a weekend. There is plenty of hiking in the area, plenty of stuff that kids like to do, etc, it just is what it is. If the wife and I are going, it’s Asheville. If the kids are going, it’s PF.

I was going to say almost exactly this. 

I will add that in March of 2020 we spent a couple of days at a house in the mountains close to Gatlinburg/PF and a few days later the entire world shut down.  YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

@SydneyCarton Update on your Gatlinburg adventures?

In Savannah now for another 24 hours. Got in late last night. We are doing a private ghost tour in a convertible hearse tonight. With unvaccinated kids that's about as risky as we're willing to be. Seems like a really cool little town. 

My man. It was a great time for the family...I definitely echo what other folks here had to say about Gailtinburg and Pigeon Forge being full of just trash people. That being said, there's plenty of fun to be had. Gatlinburg meh. WE got suckered into a mini amusement park called Ober, and the most redeeming value there was a tram ride to the top and back. It was fully masked up but I bet that's changed now. That was pretty much all we got out of G-burg, it was hot, packed AF and all the restaurants had a 90 minute wait with a screaming kid. 

Pigeon Forge was better...but I don't understand how 90% of that economy is run off of mini golf courses and go carts. There's like 10 different businesses. Anyway, we played some mini golf and rode some go karts, which I think would be unvaccinated kid friendly activities for you. Lots of options. We also did a couple of mountain coasters, and those were cool and again covid friendly. The ride through the smokies to G-burg was fucking awesome, and if your kids are of the age where that's interesting, you could easily spend 2-3 hours doing that, stopping at the waterfalls, etc. We also toured Caddes Cove, which was a pretty cool couple hour chunk, and we got to see 2 bears, and one mama had her 2 cubs crossing the road. Very cool, plus some old churches to stop and look at, etc.  We also did Dollywood, which I was very impressed by...despite the fact they sell no booze, the park is very well kept up, and they obviously invest money back into it. Fresh paint, everything looked new and clean. For someone who remembers what Astroworld looked like at the end...it was great. Plus they designed the park thoughtfully...it's never too far from a ride or two that is toddler friendly, so a group with all ages doesn't feel like they're missing out. If you do that, Fast Pass for the lines and preferred parking are the best investments you'll make all fucking day. 

But just the views and the peace are the best part. 

• Like 1

Thanks man! Will definitely be checking some of those recs out. Mountain coaster sounds fun - I will look into options. The house we rented is outside of town and the kids are intent on seeing bears. I think we might drive the strip to ogle but that's about it. The waterfalls sound much more our speed.

2 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Thanks man! Will definitely be checking some of those recs out. Mountain coaster sounds fun - I will look into options. The house we rented is outside of town and the kids are intent on seeing bears. I think we might drive the strip to ogle but that's about it. The waterfalls sound much more our speed.

So there's no guarantee you'll see a bear, but Caddes Cove is probably your best bet. They're obviously not scared of cars. You want to get there as early as possible, it backs up. Google the hours, there's a couple days where it's cyclists only until like 10 am or something. I think we got there around 10, and we had to deal with quite a few backups, which wasn't all that bad, but I could see it being a real PITA if you're stuck somewhere not moving for 50 minutes because there's a bear up there and everyone just fucking stops. 

Gatlinburg - If you can afford it, the best thing to do is rent a cabin outside of the city.  (Not joking about the cost.  A decent, 2-bedroom cabin in Gat. can run up to $400 a night with fees and whatnot.)  We've done both the cabin thing as well as the hotel-off-the-strip thing many times.  Do cabin stuff or hiking stuff.  One year, our group got a cabin that had a pool in the bottom level and Big Game Hunter on the 4th floor.  Most of the guys didn't even care to go into town.  If you want to see the city, pick a day, show up early, and walk it.  The main road through Gat. gets extremely backed up on holidays, evenings, Friday's, etc... When I first moved to Knoxville in '96, Gat. was very quaint and fun.  By the time we moved back to TX 4 years ago, it was akin to Daytona Beach.

Sevierville/Pigeon Forge - This area is more spread out with lots of alternate roads if you do the research.  The last time my group of friends and my family stayed up there, we rented a cabin and quickly/easily drove straight down a back road and right into town.  @SydneyCarton is right.  I hope you like mini golf, go-Karts AND pancakes.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Gatlinburg - If you can afford it, the best thing to do is rent a cabin outside of the city.  (Not joking about the cost.  A decent, 2-bedroom cabin in Gat. can run up to $400 a night with fees and whatnot.)  We've done both the cabin thing as well as the hotel-off-the-strip thing many times.  Do cabin stuff or hiking stuff.  One year, our group got a cabin that had a pool in the bottom level and Big Game Hunter on the 4th floor.  Most of the guys didn't even care to go into town.  If you want to see the city, pick a day, show up early, and walk it.  The main road through Gat. gets extremely backed up on holidays, evenings, Friday's, etc... When I first moved to Knoxville in '96, Gat. was very quaint and fun.  By the time we moved back to TX 4 years ago, it was akin to Daytona Beach.

Sevierville/Pigeon Forge - This area is more spread out with lots of alternate roads if you do the research.  The last time my group of friends and my family stayed up there, we rented a cabin and quickly/easily drove straight down a back road and right into town.  @SydneyCarton is right.  I hope you like mini golf, go-Karts AND pancakes.

That reminds me…can you explain the pancake thing? Why the fuck do they think they’re the pancake capital of the world? 

we did stay up n a cabin 20 minutes out of pigeon forge and it was fucking perfect. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That reminds me…can you explain the pancake thing? Why the fuck do they think they’re the pancake capital of the world? 

we did stay up n a cabin 20 minutes out of pigeon forge and it was fucking perfect. 

Because people like my wife think that the 3 basic ingredients of pancakes are somehow better when made in a faux cabin themed restaurant.  No kidding.  We got married in the mountains, had the reception at Ripley's Aquarium (yes, sounds odd, but we got a private room in which one wall was the shark tank), and spent the night in Gat. before going on our honeymoon back to TX.  She insisted on waking me up at 6AM the next morning to wait in a hour-long line for pancakes.  Lines for brisket, I get.  Lines for pancakes, though?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Because people like my wife think that the 3 basic ingredients of pancakes are somehow better when made in a faux cabin themed restaurant.  No kidding.  We got married in the mountains, had the reception at Ripley's Aquarium (yes, sounds odd, but we got a private room in which one wall was the shark tank), and spent the night in Gat. before going on our honeymoon back to TX.  She insisted on waking me up at 6AM the next morning to wait in a hour-long line for pancakes.  Lines for brisket, I get.  Lines for pancakes, though?

I don’t…I can’t even. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The haunted pub tour in Savannah is a blast, the drinks are strong enough to ensure that you will see a ghost.  As for PF/GB very touristy but close to Smoky Mtn National Park.  Western North Carolina is gorgeous and has some of the best flyfishing for trout anywhere. 

• Like 1

So far things not going as planned. Still trying to keep up a good attitude and have a good time. 

On the drive down to Savannah, somewhere in Tennessee, got a text across my waze screen that my best man's dad suddenly passed away, someone I was very close with. 

In Savannah, booked the covid safe ghost tour only to wake up and realized I booked it for 2 weeks out and there was no availability. Found an self guided tour on an app instead, so purchased that for Thursday night. 

Only place open for food carryout/delivery that we could find was "Stoner's Pizza" so we went with it. It was actually decent. 

Rained all day Thursday. Couldn't even go walk to explore the city. Found a place with an awesome menu to order carryout for breakfast. Called at 11:30 and was told to call back because they were too busy to take our order. Called back, they said sorry. 

Drove out to Tybee to check it out in the rain. Didn't get out of the car. Decided to get pickup from Waffle House on the way back to the condo in town. They were also not doing carryout. 

Finally stopped raining around 7 pm so went out to walk and do the self guided ghost tour. Daughter (8) could not have cared less. By stop 4 or so had to abandon it because my 11 year old was pretty much pissing down his own leg and I knew he wouldn't sleep for a week if we continued (anxiety). 

Left friday morning for Siesta Key. cool house, nice pool, really close to the village. Checked out the Village, yeah we aren't really going to be able to do much there, even outdoor dining. Personal choice, and my wife is pretty paranoid about our kids getting sick, so whatever. I feel like I would like to sneak out and get a frozen margarita at one of these places but she would freak, so I guess I'm drinking at home all week. 

Car pulls up the street last night with a trailer and 2 jet skis and basically hangs out from 10-11. 11:30 we get a knock on the door, guy from property management company saying the place is double booked and do we have proof that we should be here. I showed him my VRBO reservation. He apologized and left. We are lucky we got here before they did. I'm still not convinced we're not going to get booted out. 

Best of all, red tide is everywhere. I was warned but too late to cancel. I went for an hour walk this morning when I woke up to check it out. It's gross. Not going to the beach that is 1/8 of a mile from our house. Guess I also wasted $600 on the golf cart rental. @Brew looks like the beaches down your way are clear. Any recs? I guess we'll probably drive down to Sanibel/Captiva on monday. 

Time to start day drinking. Could be worse, I guess. I shouldn't have even listed the first thing, it's not a woe is me item but it sure is sad. I am devastated for my buddy, his kids and his family. 

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

So far things not going as planned. Still trying to keep up a good attitude and have a good time. 

On the drive down to Savannah, somewhere in Tennessee, got a text across my waze screen that my best man's dad suddenly passed away, someone I was very close with. 

In Savannah, booked the covid safe ghost tour only to wake up and realized I booked it for 2 weeks out and there was no availability. Found an self guided tour on an app instead, so purchased that for Thursday night. 

Only place open for food carryout/delivery that we could find was "Stoner's Pizza" so we went with it. It was actually decent. 

Rained all day Thursday. Couldn't even go walk to explore the city. Found a place with an awesome menu to order carryout for breakfast. Called at 11:30 and was told to call back because they were too busy to take our order. Called back, they said sorry. 

Drove out to Tybee to check it out in the rain. Didn't get out of the car. Decided to get pickup from Waffle House on the way back to the condo in town. They were also not doing carryout. 

Finally stopped raining around 7 pm so went out to walk and do the self guided ghost tour. Daughter (8) could not have cared less. By stop 4 or so had to abandon it because my 11 year old was pretty much pissing down his own leg and I knew he wouldn't sleep for a week if we continued (anxiety). 

Left friday morning for Siesta Key. cool house, nice pool, really close to the village. Checked out the Village, yeah we aren't really going to be able to do much there, even outdoor dining. Personal choice, and my wife is pretty paranoid about our kids getting sick, so whatever. I feel like I would like to sneak out and get a frozen margarita at one of these places but she would freak, so I guess I'm drinking at home all week. 

Car pulls up the street last night with a trailer and 2 jet skis and basically hangs out from 10-11. 11:30 we get a knock on the door, guy from property management company saying the place is double booked and do we have proof that we should be here. I showed him my VRBO reservation. He apologized and left. We are lucky we got here before they did. I'm still not convinced we're not going to get booted out. 

Best of all, red tide is everywhere. I was warned but too late to cancel. I went for an hour walk this morning when I woke up to check it out. It's gross. Not going to the beach that is 1/8 of a mile from our house. Guess I also wasted $600 on the golf cart rental. @Brew looks like the beaches down your way are clear. Any recs? I guess we'll probably drive down to Sanibel/Captiva on monday. 

Time to start day drinking. Could be worse, I guess. I shouldn't have even listed the first thing, it's not a woe is me item but it sure is sad. I am devastated for my buddy, his kids and his family. 

We just drove back home yesterday, beaches in our area were still clear. There were some pretty severe storms that came through this week, so the water isn’t as clear as normal and there is some seagrass and stuff on the beaches. However, as of Thursday it had cleared up quite a bit. I checked the current red tide map, it looks like it may be more clear north of you so you may be able to find a shorter drive. Anna Maria looks fine right now as it has cleared out of Tampa Bay. Longboat to Venice is a mess right now and I think is under a no swim advisory.

If you drive down to Sanibel, weekdays would be better depending on how long you are down. Weekends are packed and it is slightly better during the week. You could also find someone that runs out to Cayo Costa from closer to where you are and just go out there for the day. It has not been busy when we have been up there.

Weather has been crap this summer. Wind/rain have been pretty consistent so the beaches have not been great. Combine that with a shit ton of people and we hung out at the house most of the summer rather than getting out a lot.

• Like 1

If you decide to drive down to Sanibel, I would go out to Bowman’s Beach if you want a public beach. I can PM you my address also if you want to park at my house and go down to the beach from there. It’s pretty close to Bowman’s, but it is a private neighborhood surrounded by nature preserves so the beaches are usually pretty empty. There are restrooms at the pool, so it’s just whether you want to make the 2 hour and 15 minute drive back and forth. AMI is a much closer option if it stays clear and you can pretty well pull off anywhere once you are past Longboat.

• Like 3

If you end up having to avoid the beaches, the Mote Marine Aquarium is worth a visit, the Myakka River State Park is a nice area, you could go north to Tampa for a baseball game or the aquarium there or the battleship museum in Tampa, Everglades tours, go to one of the Manatee springs, Ford/Edison museums in Fort Myers, etc.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Appreciate the suggestions and the offer Brew. I really think she will be fine with a public beach on a weekday. That's borderline ridiculous if not. But anyway I will let you know if we decide to head down that way and things are squirrelly. Super generous and nice of you to offer. 

What you are saying about Anna Maria jibes with what my coworkers in Tampa were telling me. Those red tide maps aren't exactly high res so sort of tough to tell what's what without knowing the geography of the area well. 

Today was long walk, swim, nap, drink, swim, nap, drink, order pizza. Maybe swim again. I'm getting antsy. I even floated "a place where masks would be required" that was "sort of like a little town, with shops and some indoor attractions" that was "a couple of hours from here". When it finally hit her it was a glare and a stearn nfw. 

Our oldest is high risk, so I understand the concerns. However, you can do most things and still operate carefully. We stuck with outdoor dining places, private boating activities, really didn’t worry about the beach or pool, a lot of the indoor places like the aquariums have not been super busy, etc. Saying that though, there are a lot of people in FL right now. You’re probably going to be shit out of luck on stop number 3 also. I imagine east TN is covered up with people and it’s square in the middle of anti-vax country. You’re probably going to be limited to driving through things, maybe some hiking, and not much else based on the concentration of people. It is likely much higher than most of the places in FL.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:29 PM, wildturkey8 said:

The haunted pub tour in Savannah is a blast, the drinks are strong enough to ensure that you will see a ghost.  As for PF/GB very touristy but close to Smoky Mtn National Park.  Western North Carolina is gorgeous and has some of the best flyfishing for trout anywhere. 

Do you remember the name of the tour company you booked with?  Ghost City Tours maybe?  Taking the wife in November and I think I definitely want to go on one.

16 hours ago, threesheets said:

Do you remember the name of the tour company you booked with?  Ghost City Tours maybe?  Taking the wife in November and I think I definitely want to go on one.

There are a ton of them. Like turn around and there's a group getting a story in every square in the downtown area. I would be surprised if one was that different than the other (in the pub tour category). 

We did the "ghost tour" thing in Charleston (my daughter wanted that more than anyone else, I'm not a believer in that nonsense) & I was mostly along hoping the guide had some actual historical knowledge to drop.

Wasn't cheap, still interesting enough & my daughter got a pic from her phone "¡that is a ghost!" (no, sweetie - that's lint from your pocket that made a slightly fuzzy thing appear - clean your lens.")

& Yeah, plenty of other walking tours - one could easily just walk around in the vicinity if any of these groups & listen in, save some loot.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You probably could have still gotten the marriage annulled at that point.
  • Haha 1

The Wilke House in Savannah is a great meal. And occasionally college girls from the art school get drunk in the bars along the waterfront and then get naked in the fountain near Ellis Square.  Also, Forsythe Park is a pleasant place to run a few miles.  That’s really about all I know about Savannah. 

The Wilke House in Savannah is a great meal. And occasionally college girls from the art school get drunk in the bars along the waterfront and then get naked in the fountain near Ellis Square.  Also, Forsythe Park is a pleasant place to run a few miles.  That’s really about all I know about Savannah. 
That is about all I can offer as well. Definitely do Mrs Wilkes.
wormhole is a great bar

28 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

That is about all I can offer as well. Definitely do Mrs Wilkes.
wormhole is a great bar

Plus one on Mrs. Wilkes.

Didn't get to see the SCAD girls get naked in the fountain.  SAD!

Red Tide and rampant covid aside, not super impressed with Siesta Key. Yes the sand is white and soft. Not sure if the water it typically crystal blue but it's just meh even where the red tide isn't. The village itself is just a strip that doesn't even have sightlines to the water and a bunch of one story cheesy surf shops, ice cream stands, and Fat Tuesday type of daiquiri bars. I much preferred South Seas at Captiva and even Sandestin to this. Both were more laid back. This is what you get when you take advice from people who live in Michigan.