My turn... F Cancer

Slacks

Sorry to hear this. My only advice as someone who went through it with my dad is to just be there for your mom to help her through this and to be there for your stepfather in his final moments if you can. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sorry, Snacks.  Saw a friend of mine pass away from brain cancer a few years back.  He was in home hospice care at the end surrounded by his family.  Given the situation, I don't know what else he would have wanted other than to have his family by his side at the end.

Right now, my (younger)son-in-law's mother is going through treatment for breast cancer. 

It is worth repeating... FUCK YOU!, Cancer.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry to hear Snacks. We've lost three from our tailgate over the last 4 years. It sux for sure. One was a female APD officer that always ate with us while on duty at 17th and Trinity. Young, sweet, and just a beautiful person, she had a young family. It was devastating. T&Ps.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm very sorry to hear that.  Cancer stole my mother, and tried to get my brother.  Cancer needs to fuck right off.

PS - I know that there has to be at least a poster or two on this site who are neck deep in the fight with that old bastard.  Much respect to all who treat or care for cancer patients, and all of the researchers who keep improving the odds of beating cancer every year.  You all rock.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Sorry to hear this. My only advice as someone who went through it with my dad is to just be there for your mom to help her through this and to be there for your stepfather in his final moments if you can. 

I'd also suggest you get completely up to speed on all their financial affairs if dad is still able to contribute to the conversion.  

My mother passed very unexpectedly and the amount of head scratching decisions, made between 75-85 years old, that I'm discovering as executor is tough to look at and is compounded by guilt of how didn't I notice when it was happening.  

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

I'm very sorry to hear that.  Cancer stole my mother, and tried to get my brother.  Cancer needs to fuck right off.

PS - I know that there has to be at least a poster or two on this site who are neck deep in the fight with that old bastard.  Much respect to all who treat or care for cancer patients, and all of the researchers who keep improving the odds of beating cancer every year.  You all rock.

Yeah, I fit that bill - about 18 years in industry cancer drug R&D as a scientist. Cruel irony is that my mother was just diagnosed with lung cancer this week. I’m not sure if it’s a blessing or a curse that I know as much as I do. 

It’s taken close friends, close colleagues and now is after my own family. Cancer sucks. No two ways about it. 

I would also add a shout out to all the nurses who care for those stricken with this beast. They are absolute angels. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Yeah, I fit that bill - about 18 years in industry cancer drug R&D as a scientist. Cruel irony is that my mother was just diagnosed with lung cancer this week. I’m not sure if it’s a blessing or a curse that I know as much as I do. 

It’s taken close friends, close colleagues and now is after my own family. Cancer sucks. No two ways about it. 

I would also add a shout out to all the nurses who care for those stricken with this beast. They are absolute angels. 

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

• Hook 'Em 1

My stepmom was diagnosed with stage 4 mouth cancer at the beginning of the year. First opinion basically gave her 6 months and due to covid & their schedule she wasn't able to start treatment for months. Basically said that's all they could do. Death sentence. She got a second opinion at John Hopkins, got on an experimental drug, and surgery (no chemo) & is now in remission. One of the doctors actually used the word 'cured'. I don't know enough to speak on this topic but always get a second opinion if available.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 5/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, lmao said:

My stepmom was diagnosed with stage 4 mouth cancer at the beginning of the year. First opinion basically gave her 6 months and due to covid & their schedule she wasn't able to start treatment for months. Basically said that's all they could do. Death sentence. She got a second opinion at John Hopkins, got on an experimental drug, and surgery (no chemo) & is now in remission. One of the doctors actually used the word 'cured'. I don't know enough to speak on this topic but always get a second opinion if available.

Thanks for this... I hadn't even thought about it...  It's the VA, so they probably don't have a clue.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, lmao said:

Are you in DC? How did you get a 2nd from JH?

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

Are you in DC? How did you get a 2nd from JH?

They're in Maryland. She's in her 70s. We were seriously preparing for a funeral later this year & my father moving out to the West Coast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, lmao said:

They're in Maryland. She's in her 70s. We were seriously preparing for a funeral later this year & my father moving out to the West Coast. 

Thanks.  I have my mom making some calls today... We are in a similar position.