Jake Ehlinger found dead near campus

Machinator

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’d have to put me in the looney bin for awhile. However, I imagine with time, it becomes easier, but a part of you will never be whole again. I watched my grandmother bury two daughters, including my mom, in their 40s. It made her crazy. I think you’ve got to have a special makeup to not be crazy after that. 

If you talk to someone who's lost a child, no matter how long ago the child passed, they always sound like it happened about three months earlier. They may bury their feelings most of the time, but as soon as they think of it, the wound is fresh. 

Had an aunt that lost a child shortly after birth. Until the end of her life, she kept a photo of that child in the casket on her dresser. She was in her seventies when she died.

Was talking to a woman at a funeral, and she told me she'd lost her child (24 or so, but they're always your child.) She told me it was an unusual car wreck, and described it. I realized that I'd made the call, and it was twenty years earlier. Just to be sure, I asked her where it happened, and yep, same car wreck. I didn't tell her I'd responded to that call. When we were talking, I'd assumed the wreck was less than a year ago, the way she described it. 

You're right. Some wounds never completely heal. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

My dad was married before he married my mom. He had 2 girls and 1 passed away at 3 months old. He never spoke of her but my grandmother did a few times before she passed away. Now that I'm older and wiser I can see that it really affected my dad in how he raised my brother and I and he never got over it (also he was dealing with trauma from Vietnam he never got help for). I am a dad and I will be a grandpa x2 in Sept. I could never ever imagine how I would react if I lost my daughter or my granddaughters. I would probably go insane. My heart just goes out to his Mom....

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

They say that when you have a child, it's like having a piece of your heart live outside your body.  It certainly feels that way.

From the moment I became a father, this was my biggest fear.  My kids are all technically adults now, but I still can't imagine losing one of them.  I don't know how I would be able to function. 

If I could have one wish in the rest of my life, it would be to die before any of them.  Age doesn't matter.

I cannot imagine what she is going through.

That is my wish too

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

If you talk to someone who's lost a child, no matter how long ago the child passed, they always sound like it happened about three months earlier. They may bury their feelings most of the time, but as soon as they think of it, the wound is fresh.

I remember an interview with a homeless man who had a regular life until his young son died and he couldn't keep it together and ended on the street for over a decade.

The interviewer asked him if he could have one wish what would it be. This guy, destitute and living in the street, said all he wants is his son back, and then broke and started crying.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

They say that when you have a child, it's like having a piece of your heart live outside your body.  It certainly feels that way.

From the moment I became a father, this was my biggest fear.  My kids are all technically adults now, but I still can't imagine losing one of them.  I don't know how I would be able to function. 

If I could have one wish in the rest of my life, it would be to die before any of them.  Age doesn't matter.

I cannot imagine what she is going through.

My first wife's mother passed away at the age of 60.  She was survived by her mom (wife's grandmother) who was in her eighties.  Needless to say, wife's grandmother was devastated.  It struck me then and has stayed with me for 35 plus years how the loss of a child affects a parent no matter the age of child.  

God bless the Ehlinger family.  

On a side note, we can learn a lot about family and community by observing the responses from Jake's teammates.  Beautiful and moving.  

As other's have pointed out, leave no "I love you"s or other kind words unsaid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

My daughter passed when she was 1 suddenly, and that was 14 years ago. It never gets better, you just learn to live with it. Sorry for your loss, brother. 

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

My daughter passed when she was 1 suddenly, and that was 14 years ago. It never gets better, you just learn to live with it. Sorry for your loss, brother. 

Never knew this.  My heart aches as a parent to all of you who've lost a child.  It's my worst fear in life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I can’t even imagine your loss.  How horrible.  I gave you a middle finger by accident because the tears welling up in my eyes made it look like a hookem.  Glad I caught it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I was at the UNC game where Major took the knee to preserve 44 on the scoreboard. 

I was there, too.  We kinda forgot about Cole for a while as we were kicking UNC's ass, but the stadium got real somber when the scoreboard hit 44.  That was also three days before 9/11.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I remember when Cole Pittman died and subsequently read his father's book a few years after that.  That was tragic then and this one is brutal too.  I was at the UNC game where Major took the knee to preserve 44 on the scoreboard.  I hope we hang 48 in a W vs Louisanna.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I was there, too.  We kinda forgot about Cole for a while as we were kicking UNC's ass, but the stadium got real somber when the scoreboard hit 44.  That was also three days before 9/11.

I have never thought about  9/11 being that close on the calendar.  Crazy to think it was only a few days later.  RIP 44 and now 48.

What needs to happen come September 4th: we need to thrash Louisiana by scoring seven touchdowns on them. After the seventh touchdown is scored, go for two and just have Casey or Hudson take a knee. 48 points to honor Jake the same way Major Applewhite took a knee 20 years ago to keep the score at 44 to honor Cole Pittman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I was there too.  So crazy to think that was the last Saturday before 9/11 

• Like 1

I am still struggling with disbelief at this news. It is so sudden and tragic and just when we were all celebrating his brother being drafted. I know we were all looking forward to seeing Jake around on the sideline and so forth and it will be a hole in the hearts of all Longhorn Fans.

My nephew passed suddenly last year and my family has struggled with it ever since. I cannot imagine the pain and sadness of the Ehlinger family after losing two beloved family members in such a brief period. My thoughts and prayers are with them and Horns up.

3 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

My first wife's mother passed away at the age of 60.  She was survived by her mom (wife's grandmother) who was in her eighties.  Needless to say, wife's grandmother was devastated.  It struck me then and has stayed with me for 35 plus years how the loss of a child affects a parent no matter the age of child.  

God bless the Ehlinger family.  

On a side note, we can learn a lot about family and community by observing the responses from Jake's teammates.  Beautiful and moving.  

As other's have pointed out, leave no "I love you"s or other kind words unsaid. 

Debbie Reynolds died the day after Carrie Fisher died.    

• Like 2