Jake Ehlinger found dead near campus

Machinator

18 hours ago, Machinator said:

A message from Overshown.

E0v_S8uWUAA2Vbx?format=jpg&name=large

This is what hit me the most. I know what it's like to be known as so-and-so's brother, son, etc. For Overshown to recognize Jake for the man he is, just damn. So much respect for him. Jake made a name for himself and earned the respect of his teammates. Positive attitude, hard work ethic, and the ability to put a smile on anyone's face. This is a loss not just for UT or Austin but for this country. As divided as we are right now, I hope his legacy is able to inspire other people to be the change we want to see in the world.

Rest in peace.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I couldn’t bring myself to post until now.  I have two kids who go to WHS and I was gut punched  by this news.  Unbelievably sad and the thought that this family lost their dad only to lose a brother a few years later is so awful and tragic.  Serious prayers sent their way.  RIP young Jake Ehlinger.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Just because Wanker’s post was appropriately deleted doesn’t mean my fellow Surlies can’t still neg him. Just a suggestion

I don’t know what he did but fuck him if it was anything other than paying respects.

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Just because Wanker’s post was appropriately deleted doesn’t mean my fellow Surlies can’t still neg him. Just a suggestion

I read his post before it was deleted.  A totally classless post.  One thing about Surly is that no matter how irreverent we can be at times, this event has brought out the humanity and emotional side of many of us.  It has definitely put into perspective the value of life and the love that we have and share for those near to us as well as an extended Longhorn family.

Neg WankerBob to Bolivia. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I read his post before it was deleted.  A totally classless post.  One thing about Surly is that no matter how irreverent we can be at times, this event has brought out the humanity and emotional side of many of us.  It has definitely put into perspective the value of life and the love that we have and share for those near to us as well as an extended Longhorn family.

Neg WankerBob to Bolivia. 

• Fuck You 85

51 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Debbie Reynolds died the day after Carrie Fisher died.    

My childhood best friend died at 24 from a drug overdose. We had been friends since we were in preschool, and my mom and his had grown up next door to each other and been friends their whole lives. When I walked into the funeral home and hugged her, she just melted into my arms and sobbed for what felt like 30 minutes. She passed away about a year later and I'm still convinced it was from a broken heart. His sister still posts a happy birthday message to him on FB every year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Shit, I'm still down about this. Have pretty painful flashbacks to my own loss. The worst part is the unknown car pulling into your driveway, and you know its unknown passenger is bringing the news that's going to fuck up your life. I don't want to think about what it was like when they found out. For some reason that's the most devastating part to me. 

Edited by Bevo14

42 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's also possible to click on his profile to easily take you to all his posts for neg purposes.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I didn't see Wanker Bob's post, but I can only assume that it was speculation about how Jake died.  There's a lot of that going around among my real life friends, too.  And it's curiosity in a concerned way; they just want to know what happened, which is a natural part of grieving.

But I don't think the how really matters.  A family lost a son and a brother.  Our team lost a brother.  There's a small but non-zero chance that any one of them might come across a thread like this.  Basic human compassion should lead us to say whatever we can think of that might be of use to them, and not speculate about anything else, because it just doesn't matter.

Rest easy, Jake.  And I hope peace somehow finds its way to all who cared for you.

very good post.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I was there, too.  We kinda forgot about Cole for a while as we were kicking UNC's ass, but the stadium got real somber when the scoreboard hit 44.  That was also three days before 9/11.

Yeah, will never forget that. At first they came out in 2 point formation and I thought Holy shit is Mack trying to kick his former employer in the dick? And then they took a knee and I thought WTF?!?

Then it hit me and the eyes started to well up. 

• Like 2