Jake Ehlinger found dead near campus

Machinator

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

A death like this, people are always going to speculate. It’s dumb and it’s not right but it’ll happen. No sense in getting deeply offended or butthurt about it. 

this isn't the time or place to speculate, take that shit to twitter or elsewhere.

Just now, NoName said:

this isn't the time or place to speculate, take that shit to twitter or elsewhere.

Doesn’t appear to be much speculation. Seems straight forward what happened. But to play devils advocate here if his last name isn’t what it is and his brother isn’t who he is would Surly feel the same about said speculation? 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Doesn’t appear to be much speculation. Seems straight forward what happened. But to play devils advocate here if his last name isn’t what it is and his brother isn’t who he is would Surly feel the same about said speculation? 

1) he was on the football team, so to an extent yes it would be the same in my eyes.

2) his brother is who he is and his last name is what it was, so it's moot.

3)there are plenty of places to go speculate elsewhere.

Just now, NoName said:

1) he was on the football team, so to an extent yes it would be the same in my eyes.

2) his brother is who he is and his last name is what it was, so it's moot.

3)there are plenty of places to go speculate elsewhere.

As stated above, it's not speculation.  People know what happened.  Are you a moderator?

17 minutes ago, alincoln said:

As stated above, it's not speculation.  People know what happened.  Are you a moderator?

i am sure people do know what happened. i am also 100% sure that not all of the speculation that i personally have seen on twitter and elsewhere can all be correct considering a lot of it is people throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. it can't be both xyz AND abc at the same time, ya know?

it's fine, it will come out when it comes out. just personally don't think here and this thread is where people should talk about it.

Edited by NoName
clarity

14 minutes ago, alincoln said:

People know what happened.  Are you a moderator?

Looks like a subtitle in a Chinese movie... similar to one of my favorite Chinese non-sequiturs:

"You always resort to violence. I should have had the Kung Pao chicken."

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and just to clarify what i meant in my last post when i said that i didn't (don't) understand the folks who are getting upset, here's why: he wasn't committing a violent crime; he wasn't robbing people, or thieving, or killing, or anything like that. he wasn't even doing anything that the vast majority of us haven't done (or at least the equivalent) when we were his age. hell, many of us still are doing these things. it has nothing to do with your character or your heart or the way you live your life and treat people. the fact that so many people still have such severe hang ups in regards to even talking about this stuff IS a part of the problem. this thread may not be the place to hash out that particular subject, but the stigma that's being perpetuated here sadly only makes things worse. 

How can this place be perpetuating a stigma when we don't know what the hell it is, and the few who do aren't saying anything? And the more the silence goes on, the worse the cause of death sounds.

I mean, this must've been something really, really awful, the way y'all are going on about it. Like that he ritually sacrificed himself to Cthluhu or something in order to bring about the End of All Things, only failing because a candle was 2cm off where it needed to be. "Great guy, other than narrowly averting Armageddon due to not being good with the metric system," they'll say.

If you're not going to say anything, the least you could do is shut up about it. Thanks.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

How can this place be perpetuating a stigma when we don't know what the hell it is, and the few who do aren't saying anything? And the more the silence goes on, the worse the cause of death sounds.

I mean, this must've been something really, really awful, the way y'all are going on about it. Like that he ritually sacrificed himself to Cthluhu or something in order to bring about the End of All Things, only failing because a candle was 2cm off where it needed to be. "Great guy, other than narrowly averting Armageddon due to not being good with the metric system," they'll say.

If you're not going to say anything, the least you could do is shut up about it. Thanks.

People do know the facts though. They’re just not allowed to be posted here. That’s his point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

People do know the facts though. They’re just not allowed to be posted here. That’s his point. 

My point is, that's an awful lot of words to be not saying anything.

I'm also old enough to have perspective. I've seen cancer, war, suicide and drugs take folks young and old, and none of these are better than the others. Death doesn't give a fuck.

So if you're gonna spill it, spill it. If not, shut up about it. Spend your words honoring the man.

🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm also old enough to have perspective. I've seen cancer, war, suicide and drugs take folks young and old, and none of these are better than the others. Death doesn't give a fuck.

So if you're gonna spill it, spill it. If not, shut up about it. Spend your words honoring the man.

🤘

Famine and flood are the ones that bother me the most. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

🤘

But if you spill it, you get negged into oblivion, comment deleted, and etc, "Out of respect for the family," while other unexpected deaths that have been posted on here have been wildly speculated. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

But if you spill it, you get negged into oblivion, comment deleted, etc. "Out of respect for the family." While other unexpected deaths that have been posted on have been wildly speculated. 

Yes. So, following my logic, what's your other option?

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yes. So, following my logic, what's your other option?

Perhaps don't treat this death differently than we've treated other unexpected deaths on Surly. I think withholding the rumors/facts the first day was a smart decision considering Jake's relationship to the program and his family's relationship to UT but continuing to do so seems a bit absurd and anti what Shaggy/Surly is/was. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Perhaps don't treat this death differently than we've treated other unexpected deaths on Surly. I think withholding the rumors/facts the first day was a smart decision considering Jake's relationship to the program and his family's relationship to UT but continuing to do so seems a bit absurd and anti what Shaggy/Surly is/was. 

So we actually find the human decency to treat one guy with respect, and you gotta complain about it.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wanker Bob wasn't popular anywhere. 

He had a well over 2 to 1 rep to post ratio at one time because all he did was post in the CR. Like somebody else said, that tells you all you need to know about that place. I was relentlessly negging him over a year ago over COVID stuff when I realized what a shitty poster he was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

He had a well over 2 to 1 rep to post ratio at one time because all he did was post in the CR. Like somebody else said, that tells you all you need to know about that place. I was relentlessly negging him over a year ago over COVID stuff when I realized what a shitty poster he was. 

A joking comment is a weird hill for you to get insistent and die on. As someone who occasionally reads threads and posts in the cloak room, I can tell you that that motherfucker was widely mocked and told to sit the fuck down and get his shinebox on the regular. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It is not disrespectful to state a fact about how a person died. In fact, it usually sheds light on the subject and brings up much needed respectful conversation about how such a tragic thing can be prevented. I know we are all assholes here, but I have seen time and time again where some tragedy brings many posters together to share their experiences and help eachother grieve. I personally do not have many tragedies to share and grieve with other posters about, but I find the words of advice that are given to be extremely invaluable. Where this thread could be something like that, it has instead turned into a thread about policing eachother and who is right and who is wrong, which I find to be rather dissappointing. But appearantly talking about Hellen Keller's shit is more appropriate.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

It is not disrespectful to state a fact about how a person died. In fact, it usually sheds light on the subject and brings up much needed respectful conversation about how such a tragic thing can be prevented. I know we are all assholes here, but I have seen time and time again where some tragedy brings many posters together to share their experiences and help eachother grieve. I personally do not have many tragedies to share and grieve with other posters about, but I find the words of advice that are given to be extremely invaluable. Where this thread could be something like that, it has instead turned into a thread about policing eachother and who is right and who is wrong, which I find to be rather dissappointing. But appearantly talking about Hellen Keller's shit is more appropriate.

See, thats the thing...

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A joking comment is a weird hill for you to get insistent and die on. As someone who occasionally reads threads and posts in the cloak room, I can tell you that that motherfucker was widely mocked and told to sit the fuck down and get his shinebox on the regular. 

You read an awful lot in to one factual comment I made. If that’s insistent and dying on a hill in your world so be it. Have a good day.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Posters who claim to never visit CR while at the same time crying about how terrible it is are way more annoying than anything I've ever seen in CR.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Posters who claim to never visit CR while at the same time crying about how terrible it is are way more annoying than anything I've ever seen in CR.

Most of us have been to College Station but that doesn’t mean we ever made the poor decision to go back and we can speak to the nastiness of that place all we want.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

Most of us have been to College Station but that doesn’t mean we ever made the poor decision to go back and we can speak to the nastiness of that place all we want.  

Cool you should start a thread about CR so you can all cry about how bad it is together.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m not complaining at all. Just stating my observations on the subject. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus christ this fucking thread is like watching Hellen Keller try to fucking wipe herself. 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

She was blind and deaf so pretty sure she was good with her hands....

Don't judge Carton's fetish. We don't kink shame here.

8 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You ever seen where animals walk in a pasture? Where the grass is gone and there a dirt trail? South Austin’s mom doesn’t have a bush for the same reasons.

Like a watering hole in the Serengeti.  

spacer.png

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But if you spill it, you get negged into oblivion, comment deleted, and etc, "Out of respect for the family," while other unexpected deaths that have been posted on here have been wildly speculated. 

So what if ya get negged to hell??

do negs put food in your mouth or money in your pocket??

those that feel the “need” will neg no matter  what, right or wrong.

A strong person realizes a neg   is just        “ ones & zeros” on a computer screen...

• Fuck You 4

A strong person realizes a neg   is just        “ ones & zeros” on a computer screen...

Negged.
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

That was beautiful man

See the source image

• Haha 1