Jake Ehlinger found dead near campus

Machinator

34 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I guess you failed to read the quote from Deej who labeled this as asshole behavior thus justified.

Perhaps an insatiable desire to guess about things where guesses are not wanted is some sort of pathology that the rest of us should respect and tolerate.

Or maybe it's pointless and some of us recognize it as such.

It's too complicated for me to figure out.

I wasn't labeling asshole behavior. This feeling I got from many posters on this thread is that you're an asshole if you bring up the cause. The behavior was already labeled. I just meant that this site is home to much worse, and I don't get why everyone is so up in arms over it. I think we could handle the discussion with less snark than we do when discussing every other death. 

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

I wasn't labeling asshole behavior. This feeling I got from many posters on this thread is that you're an asshole if you bring up the cause. The behavior was already labeled. I just meant that this site is home to much worse, and I don't get why everyone is so up in arms over it. I think we could handle the discussion with less snark than we do when discussing every other death. 

And I was talking about the standard applied. We do worse (the comparative of bad), so why not continue that habit here? That's not a justification for much of anything.

I'm interested in knowing cause of death. I'm not tapping my foot and pacing the floor hoping that guesses are soon made so we can then determine who made the best guess. 

I'm done with the debate such as it is. Sorry the young man has lost the vast majority of what would have been his life. That won't be changed by how he died or when/if I ever learn any details.

33 minutes ago, Deej said:

They’re like that because his last name and who his brother is. Surly has a long history of protecting Sam and that family because of their ties to UT and their fathers passing. If it were anyone else I think the speculation would have not been removed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The reason/cause is out there, including being known by local media and TV stations, one of which employs my brother. They are respecting the family and allowing the family to release everything that happened on their own terms. People are here rushing as if they will never get the full details. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

The reason/cause is out there, including being known by local media and TV stations, one of which employs my brother. They are respecting the family and allowing the family to release everything that happened on their own terms. People are here rushing as if they will never get the full details. 

Yeah, but then what would people have had to bitch about for the last half a dozen pages?

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

This. Again, people who know are definitely in the over 750 rep "top contributor" segment of posters. Everyone can read threads in You Can't Sit With Us. I said you can speculate there. No one is, why do you think that is? It's not because I'm deleting/hiding stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, usmc0331horn said:

Why? It's been like a week. We're all adults here who should be able to discuss this in a respectful manner. Silence seems just weird at this point.

Very much like a week. Sorry, but I was actually agreeing with you by way of dropping it into the sar chasm.

FTR, virtually every kinda-sorta positive response/request seems to be ignorant of investigatory nomenclature, all of them calling for the cause of death - what we really want is the manner of death. The cause in a given occurrence might be "knife wound". But that cause doesn't tell us diddle e shit about the manner, which might be "accident", or "suicide", or "homicide", but likely not either of "natural" or "undetermined". 

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Very much like a week. Sorry, but I was actually agreeing with you by way of dropping it into the sar chasm.

FTR, virtually every kinda-sorta positive response/request seems to be ignorant of investigatory nomenclature, all of them calling for the cause of death - what we really want is the manner of death. The cause in a given occurrence might be "knife wound". But that cause doesn't tell us diddle e shit about the manner, which might be "accident", or "suicide", or "homicide", but likely not either of "natural" or "undetermined". 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

It's easy to tell which of you in this thread wear skirts. 
Kilt good sir. We wear kilts.
This. Again, people who know are definitely in the over 750 rep "top contributor" segment of posters. Everyone can read threads in You Can't Sit With Us. I said you can speculate there. No one is, why do you think that is? It's not because I'm deleting/hiding stuff. 

Because no one visits that sub forum?
  • Hook 'Em 1

if you want speculation right now, head on over to TexAgs. You’ll get all you can handle.  
per aggy logic:
-it was after spring ball, so he was finally off for summer.
-Also, he went to Westlake 
as far as they are concerned, case closed.

I see two very short threads on this topic over there and not much in the way of speculation. One post relating a specific account for what happened. It may be second-hand info, but it's not speculation. And one post stating "it could be this or it could be that." I guess that one is speculation, but it's pretty general and obvious.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Because we have a perfectly adequate thread right here, and making multiple threads in multiple forums to discuss the same topic has not generally worked out here.

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Because no one posts in or checks that stupid fucking forum? It has 7 threads.

That, too.

So those are the reasons I can think of. I can't fathom what immamac thinks the reason might be.

Edited by Rimbo

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

What a great pic of what looks like a sweet kid. I am so sorry, Jake. I’m sorry that you won’t get to make your Mom a grandmother and get to carry on your family’s legacy at Texas. I’m sorry that you won’t get to be an uncle to your necked and nephews one day. I’m sorry your Family has to endure yet another loss. 
I pray your soul is at peace and I pray that your Family can one day find some peace in this tragedy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I see two very short threads on this topic over there and not much in the way of speculation. One post relating a specific account for what happened. It may be second-hand info, but it's not speculation. And one post stating "it could be this or it could be that." I guess that one is speculation, but it's pretty general and obvious.

cant seem to find the posts I was referencing either. Maybe I was mistaken on the board or maybe they got deleted. 

If I’m mistaken I apologize to TexAgs. 

• Like 1

Nah there's a couple of posts over there that directly say it.

For whatever the hell that's worth.  I hate even clicking over there, but curiosity about their idiocy can be too much to resist at times.

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They’re like that because his last name and who his brother is. Surly has a long history of protecting Sam and that family because of their ties to UT and their fathers passing. If it were anyone else I think the speculation would have not been removed. 

Not only would the speculation not been removed, but there would have been a race to see who could post the most tasteless joke about it regardless as to how any other member of the board felt about the death. 

6 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Not only would the speculation not been removed, but there would have been a race to see who could post the most tasteless joke about it regardless as to how any other member of the board felt about the death. 

Then they would have called the Ehlinger house at all hours of the night. 

11 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Your kids are fucked if Surly is what is driving your 'parental' conversations....

Repped, but it’s actually the story of how a good character young man died based on a decision most of us have made without any thought of it possibly killing us. 

Thankfully, someone PM’d me, because imagine how fucked my kids would have been if I ventured to the aggie or OU board.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, jettrink said:

I went over there a while ago, and they, for the most part, are just as upset, sad, and respectful as we are.  I was quite surprised actually.

Yeah, just a quick look but it was almost entirely respectful and shockingly classy.