100 Best Sitcoms of All Time

TonyTexas

• TonyTexas changed the title to 100 Best Sitcoms of All Time

I don't have a problem with the top 10, just not in that order. Both Seinfeld and Cheers have very strong claims to the top spot. Don't think Sex and the City belongs on the list. Not sure about the rankings of Scrubs and Murphy Brown. Shocked at the lack of Married With Children, Family Guy, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Cheers and Seinfeld are in a class of their own. 

Next group I don't really care how you list them.

I was a little young when Cheers was on the air and didn't watch it until it was streaming on Netflix, but I thought the show took a nosedive in the Kirstie Alley years.  Loved the earlier seasons though.  I thought Frasier was great too.

Also if you're grading shows based on how good they are overall and not just how good or innovative they were in (insert year) compared to what else was on in that era,  I'd choose Curb over Seinfeld any day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I was a little young when Cheers was on the air and didn't watch it until it was streaming on Netflix, but I thought the show took a nosedive in the Kirstie Alley years.  Loved the earlier seasons though.  I thought Frasier was great too.

Also if you're grading shows based on how good they are overall and not just how good or innovative they were in (insert year) compared to what else was on in that era,  I'd choose Curb over Seinfeld any day.

I don't consider Curb a sitcom.  It's on HBO.  There are way fewer restrictions.  Also fuck you.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

I was a little young when Cheers was on the air and didn't watch it until it was streaming on Netflix, but I thought the show took a nosedive in the Kirstie Alley years.

I thought the post Long years were just as good but different. It became more of an ensemble and allowed great characters like Frasier and Woody to shine more brightly. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

It's an age thing. The 60's and 70's are my wheelhouse so Andy, Archie, George, 99, Maxwell, Hawkeye, Radar, Barney, Floyd, and ...hell Gilligan, Mary Anne, and Ginger are my touchstones.

BTW, it's all in the family, and then everybody else.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I thought the post Long years were just as good but different. It became more of an ensemble and allowed great characters like Frasier and Woody to shine more brightly. 

The show completely reinvented its dynamic and it's hard to think of of show that did that so successfully. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It's an age thing. The 60's and 70's are my wheelhouse so Andy, Archie, George, 99, Maxwell, Hawkeye, Radar, Barney, Floyd, and ...hell Gilligan, Mary Anne, and Ginger are my touchstones.
BTW, it's all in the family, and then everybody else.

This right here. All in the Family was the best. Too bad we can’t have a lovable bigot these days.

The Simpsons 1989-Present is not #1.  The Simpsons 1989-1999 is definitely #1 in my book.  

I watched Cheers live (yeah I am old) and thought the Rebecca years were actually better than the Diane years but both are excellent.

I think Derka defended Friends once and I hate to agree with him but Friends was actually pretty great for the first 5 years or so.  I would compare it to a movie that is a good romantic comedy plus Jennifer Aniston was smoke.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 5/6/2021 at 8:44 PM, Post Oak said:

Some of the best 90 seconds in sitcom history

top 10 best lines on any show, any time, Jimmy James: I've got so many lawyers calling me you'd think I had tobacco leaking from my breast implants.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How did fucking Daria make this list but Beavis and Butthead did not? They were on the cover of Rolling Stone three fucking times. 

Also no Munsters or Addams Family? Fuck these Rolling Stone lists get my blood pressure elevated.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, smuggs said:

How did fucking Daria make this list but Beavis and Butthead did not? They were on the cover of Rolling Stone three fucking times. 

Also no Munsters or Addams Family? Fuck these Rolling Stone lists get my blood pressure elevated.

For their fucking cars at the very least.

Simpsons and Seinfeld are 1 and 2 and it doesn't really matter what order imo - kind of a personal preference thing in my book. 

Most of the top 20 seems fine. Parks and Rec shouldn't be above Curb or Arrested Development which both have very good top 10 arguments. (Although I do think Parks and Rec is better than The Office)

I'm not scrolling through the rest to figure out where they ranked South Park but it was probably understandably way too low. South Park is one of the 5 greatest sit-coms ever and arguing otherwise tells me you're too easily offended or too dumb. There is no other show that has come close to matching it's comedic brilliance, scathing satiricism and longevity. Nothing. (And very, very few have been as culturally relevant and influential)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not scrolling through the rest to figure out where they ranked South Park but it was probably understandably way too low. South Park is one of the 5 greatest sit-coms ever and arguing otherwise tells me you're too easily offended or too dumb. There is no other show that has come close to matching it's comedic brilliance, scathing satiricism and longevity. Nothing.

Well.... they are cartoon characters, they can get away with murder...

1 minute ago, Stringer said:

Veep is too low. Although the last season sucked, there are very few shows that delivered laughs week to week like that one.

Serious WTF from me when I reached Veep on the list.  So many jokes you had to watch it twice.