100 Best Sitcoms of All Time

TonyTexas

I really enjoyed How I Met Your Mother and think it’s way too low. I also LOVED Newsradio- such an underrated show.

They’ve got an obscure show on that list that lasted one season. If that’s the case, they should put Men Behaving Badly on there too.

I personally don’t think Phineas and Ferb and Sponge Bob belong on this list.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I really enjoyed How I Met Your Mother and think it’s way too low. I also LOVED Newsradio- such an underrated show.

They’ve got an obscure show on that list that lasted one season. If that’s the case, they should put Men Behaving Badly on there too.

I personally don’t think Phineas and Ferb and Sponge Bob belong on this list.

I might agree but I'd rather watch SpongeBob than fucking How I Met Your Mother. Christ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

This right here. All in the Family was the best. Too bad we can’t have a lovable bigot these days.

I can just see Archie complaining about all the non-bianaries and persons on color on the subway on his way home.  I smell a reboot!!

The list feels like it is trying way too hard to be alternative and diverse.  I have a lot of problems with the order for those that made the list, but on top of that, I'm wondering where some of these were ranked (some previously mentioned).

Family Ties
Sports Night
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The IT Crowd
Family Guy
The Wonder Years
That '70s Show
Northern Exposure

...and countless others that will pop into my head later.

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

The list feels like it is trying way too hard to be alternative and diverse.  I have a lot of problems with the order for those that made the list, but on top of that, I'm wondering where some of these were ranked (some previously mentioned).

Northern Exposure

Just a great ensemble cast and superb writing.

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Family Ties
Sports Night
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The IT Crowd
Family Guy
The Wonder Years
That '70s Show
Northern Exposure

...and countless others that will pop into my head later.

Huge fan of Northern exposure, but it's not a sitcom it's a one hour show....... mmmmmmmmm Janine Turner.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Deej said:

I was disappointed Parks was ending. I was ready for the office to end. 

Sums it up the best for me. I loved The Office when it was at its peak. Which was season 2 to when Michael Scott left. Parks never once dropped off and their cast of characters were better than The Office. So many great characters.

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I personally like The Office better, but I'm obviously in the minority. I'd argue Parks doesn't happen without the Office though, and the Office should be in the top 10....

In the same boat.  Both are great though.  I'd say the "years later" last season of Parks wasn't very good and agree that the office did that for multiple seasons after Scott left.  If you are judging each by their fastball seasons of 1-6 I like The Office.

It's crazy to think that NBC had 30 Rock, Parks, The Office, and Community in their lineup.  That is some serious fastball.

17 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

also where the fuck is ALF?

I was a little spaced out the other night and saw that Alf was available on Prime. I decided to watch the pilot/first episode. I couldn't believe that this was an actual show - who the fuck decided to make this and why? Also why did I love it in 1986?

Cheers is always overrated on these lists. It was the comfort food of sitcoms, but was never that funny.

Seinfeld was great and holds up well.

The Office was hilarious for 3 or 4 seasons, then embarrassing shit for a few years.

News Radio is maybe the best sitcom of all time.

Simpsons had an amazing run and then just kind of kept going without anyone paying attention.

Parks and Rec was consistent throughout.

Was Community on the list? If so, I missed it. That show petered out in the later seasons, but had an amazing run that is unmatched by any sitcom I’ve ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Was Community on the list? If so, I missed it. That show petered out in the later seasons, but had an amazing run that is unmatched by any sitcom I’ve ever seen.

It was.  I can't remember the number, but it was in there.

Community is like Arrested Development.  Both shows had three perfect seasons before being sabatoged by their networks and then subsequent seasons that were completely disappointing by the original seasons' standards.

• Hook 'Em 1

Archer

My Name is Earl opened for the office for 3 or 4 years. It’s first 3 years it was almost as good as the office and that was when the office had its fastball. Just a warm and kind hearted look at white trash living from the inside out that I can’t remember ever seeing before. 

Does Entourage count?  Bc that was pretty good before it jumped the shark and I think it ought to be on the list. 

Also- the Honeymooners sure does get talked about a lot for a show that was around 2 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Just a great ensemble cast and superb writing.

I loved that show.  Back when it was on, I would switch over from Monday Night Football and watch it, even if the Cowboys were playing. (back then the did not suck).

I would never have figured it as a sit com tho

1 hour ago, pied said:

King of Queens should be on there somewhere.  Not top 50, but surely on the list.

Yeah it's funny but I don't think it's top 50, there are too many others that had more interesting, and better runs. 

Of course your results may vary.

Friends has aged surprisingly well. Damn that show is funny. Agree with most. I grew up with cheers mash and seinfeld so I have my biases. Curb has some of the hardest laughs I have ever had. Office and 30 rock also great with many good episodes but they fall off in later years. I thought seinfeld just kept getting funnier as the seasons progressed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sex and the City had no business being ranked in this category.  The only obvious miss to me was "Newhart", the 80's era show with Bob Newhart as a New England inkeeper.  That show's finale had the classic dream sequence ending where he wakes up with Suzanne Pleshette (his "Bob Newhart Show" wife) in their "Bob Newhart Show" bedroom stage set.  Such a great inside joke.

Very cool that Gary Shandling had two shows on that list.  He was a comedic genius.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Sex and the City had no business being ranked in this category.  The only obvious miss to me was "Newhart", the 80's era show with Bob Newhart as a New England inkeeper.  That show's finale had the classic dream sequence ending where he wakes up with Suzanne Pleshette (his "Bob Newhart Show" wife) in their "Bob Newhart Show" bedroom stage set.  Such a great inside joke.

Very cool that Gary Shandling had two shows on that list.  He was a comedic genius.

Hands down the greatest ending to a sitcom ever.  No, sex and the city is not a sit com.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hands down the greatest ending to a sitcom ever.  No, sex and the city is not a sit com.

I agree. Followed closely by Mash and MTM. The Mash finale is still the 9th most watched show ever, beaten only by 8 Super Bowls. I think it’s still has the highest % of households ever. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I agree. Followed closely by Mash and MTM. The Mash finale is still the 9th most watched show ever, beaten only by 8 Super Bowls. I think it’s still has the highest % of households ever. 

M*A*S*H finale was a beating for the first hour. 

On 5/6/2021 at 5:27 PM, Post Oak said:

The truth about PnR is that it should've ended after the Harvest Fest.  

Bye Bye Li'l Sebastian.

It was still better than The Office from start to finish.

i believe you mean The Unity Concert, and yes, that would have been a perfect ending. and they set it up that way on purpose as they didn't k is if it would be the series finale or not. even still, the final season of Parks, as out of place as it is, is still so much better and funnier than The Office post-Michael.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Where I lived the power went out that Monday night and nobody in three counties saw the last 20 minutes of the MASH finale. The local CBS station booted the Tuesday night lineup and showed MASH again the next night.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CAHorn said:

Where I lived the power went out that Monday night and nobody in three counties saw the last 20 minutes of the MASH finale. The local CBS station booted the Tuesday night lineup and showed MASH again the next night.

how many people tuned in for the GOT finale? i feel like that's got to be the biggest TV event (and bomb) of my lifetime.