100 Best Sitcoms of All Time

TonyTexas

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Shame then that it doesn't lick Seinfeld's jockstrap in overall quality. 

Yeah, but Fleabag would have shown her licking Jerry’s jock, with him in it, on screen. Two completely different shows from two different eras and two somewhat similar nations. I’m not saying Fleabag was better than Seinfeld overall, but rather that its two-season run did exactly what Seinfeld purported, but failed, to do. Sure, Seinfeld could have run for a few more mediocre seasons, but did anyone have the sense that there was anything left for the show? Contrast that with Fleabag, where the audience is left wanting more. 

6 minutes ago, Apep said:

Yeah, but Fleabag would have shown her licking Jerry’s jock, with him in it, on screen. Two completely different shows from two different eras and two somewhat similar nations. I’m not saying Fleabag was better than Seinfeld overall, but rather that its two-season run did exactly what Seinfeld purported, but failed, to do. Sure, Seinfeld could have run for a few more mediocre seasons, but did anyone have the sense that there was anything left for the show? Contrast that with Fleabag, where the audience is left wanting more. 

Once Larry David left Seinfeld the show was done, and could have ended then.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of y'all are talking like late-season Seinfeld was the Office. It's not like Jerry left the show and they replaced him with Robin Williams for one season and then Howie Mandel for a final turd of a season. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Some of y'all are talking like late-season Seinfeld was the Office. It's not like Jerry left the show and they replaced him with Robin Williams for one season and then Howie Mandel for a final turd of a season. 

True, but Larry Davids writing was the sharp edge that made the show so fucking funny.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Apep said:

The last two seasons of Seinfeld are a lot like the fifth season of Babylon 5. It was still good, but the edge was gone.

Yeah, you could see it. Still great because the cast was so strong, and the characters so developed, but the sharp wit was kinda gone.

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, you could see it. Still great because the cast was so strong, and the characters so developed, but the sharp wit was kinda gone.

it was all about whether the characters dictated the plot or whether the plot dictated the characters. 

in the first several seasons, the plot happened and the characters reacted to it in their own hilarious and awkward ways. later, their ridiculous actions put them in awkward situations. not as funny.

same happened with curb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it was all about whether the characters dictated the plot or whether the plot dictated the characters. 

in the first several seasons, the plot happened and the characters reacted to it in their own hilarious and awkward ways. later, their ridiculous actions put them in awkward situations. not as funny.

same happened with curb.

I always thought the characters of George, Kramer and Elaine were amplifications of parts of Jerry's character. George, the manipulative and insecure side, Elaine the sexual side, and Kramer the insane side. 

97604240seinfeld.cast.JPG

The even have facial resemblances, like they're related. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Some nominees off the top of my head:

Parks: Ron and Tammy, The Fight, Andy and April's Fancy Party, Unity Concert

Community: A Fistful of Paintballs/For A Few Paintballs More, Remedial Chaos Theory, Basic Lupine Urology, Paradigms of the Human Memory, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Always Sunny: The DENNIS System, Mac Day,  Who Got Dee Pregnant?, Charlie Work

The Dennis system was absolutely incredible. Thanks for reminding me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

I always thought the characters of George, Kramer and Elaine were amplifications of parts of Jerry's character. George, the manipulative and insecure side, Elaine the sexual side, and Kramer the insane side. 

97604240seinfeld.cast.JPG

The even have facial resemblances, like they're related. 

Having watched all the Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee this is a really interesting point.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The last two seasons of Seinfeld are still great.  If you go through the episode list, those seasons might have an even higher concentration of moments that became cultural references / memes than the earlier seasons.   Those seasons get a bum wrap because the final episode was a let down, although ironically Larry was actually involved in writing the finale.

I’d say Season 4 was probably the best season, but the last two seasons were better than the first two or three seasons.  And they were also better than the season when George and Susan were engaged.   I’m a huge Larry David fan, but I really didn’t see much drop off at all.

I don't want to agree with this because of my regard for LD, but I do

43 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The last two seasons of Seinfeld are still great.  If you go through the episode list, those seasons might have an even higher concentration of moments that became cultural references / memes than the earlier seasons.   Those seasons get a bum wrap because the final episode was a let down, although ironically Larry was actually involved in writing the finale.

I’d say Season 4 was probably the best season, but the last two seasons were better than the first two or three seasons.  And they were also better than the season when George and Susan were engaged.   I’m a huge Larry David fan, but I really didn’t see much drop off at all.

respectfully disagree.  when i think about the last season or two, i don't even consider the finale.  there were some decent parts, and parts that blew up into pop culture because everyone on the fucking planet was watching by then (yada yada), but i also felt they tried too hard to make something "a thing" or "happen".  "oh, she's a two face."  no.

just on a quick glance, "the dealership", "frogger", and "puerto-rican day" are just unwatchable.

seeing george go over-the-top and other people saying "oh my god he looks like a monkey", or all of the "jerk-store" stuff might've been funny to some, but just wasn't the type of stuff that made that show great.  also the writing seemed to get lazy, because everyone knew the characters so well that they didn't have to work for it. 

one specific example i saw a few weeks ago on a rerun, and i don't even know what episode it was, but it was late.  somebody walked in, and jerry took his belt off and was like "i was in a bathroom urinal and took my belt off and the buckle kinda brushed against the wall, so yeah" and he threw it away.  older seinfeld would've just had him throwing it away and another character would ask, "that's a good belt, you're just throwing that out?" and he would reply, "well the buckle, it brushed against the inside wall of a urinal..." then made a jerry face as he discarded it.  it was like they had to dumb it down for all the millions of johnny-come-lately-season 7-seinfeld-fans.

seasons 2-6 were pretty great.  there were isolated moments elsewhere.  mileage may vary depending on when people started watching it and how old they were at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis.

This is the one. And IASIP has always been an underrated sitcom. It's following is almost cult like. 

Someone key me in - did Reno 911 make the list? God damn that show had some funny moments.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

respectfully disagree.  when i think about the last season or two, i don't even consider the finale.  there were some decent parts, and parts that blew up into pop culture because everyone on the fucking planet was watching by then (yada yada), but i also felt they tried too hard to make something "a thing" or "happen".  "oh, she's a two face."  no.

just on a quick glance, "the dealership", "frogger", and "puerto-rican day" are just unwatchable.

seeing george go over-the-top and other people saying "oh my god he looks like a monkey", or all of the "jerk-store" stuff might've been funny to some, but just wasn't the type of stuff that made that show great.  also the writing seemed to get lazy, because everyone knew the characters so well that they didn't have to work for it. 

one specific example i saw a few weeks ago on a rerun, and i don't even know what episode it was, but it was late.  somebody walked in, and jerry took his belt off and was like "i was in a bathroom urinal and took my belt off and the buckle kinda brushed against the wall, so yeah" and he threw it away.  older seinfeld would've just had him throwing it away and another character would ask, "that's a good belt, you're just throwing that out?" and he would reply, "well the buckle, it brushed against the inside wall of a urinal..." then made a jerry face as he discarded it.  it was like they had to dumb it down for all the millions of johnny-come-lately-season 7-seinfeld-fans.

seasons 2-6 were pretty great.  there were isolated moments elsewhere.  mileage may vary depending on when people started watching it and how old they were at the time.

The dealership ?  unwatchable ?  I celebrate that entire episode. Kramer, and the test ride to empty.  That was gold, but you're correct otherwise.

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I cannot agree more.  The last season specifically, minus the finale, is fucking phenomenal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Seinfeld_episodes#Season_9_(1997–98)

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm leaving this thread.  You all are fucking morons.

This. The recurring side characters in Seinfeld were genius. The idiots we all deal with in real life who make us feel better than we are, yet who seem to enjoy life more than we do, making us bitter and jaded like the main characters. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Interesting, most people complain about the real early episodes of Seinfeld as it was trying to find it's footing.

It definitely took a bit to really get going and find its genius and the latter episodes are anything but bad. 

I mean we're splitting hairs over what many people here - myself included - consider the greatest sitcom ever. It's like discussing which of Nick Saban's title winning Bama teams was the worst. They all fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Part of the genius of the British "The Office" is that it is only two seasons and a Christmas episode.  Every episode is just outstanding and the finale leaves you wanting more....as it should be.  If anyone hasn't watched it, I would encourage them to watch it if they are looking for a series.  You could easily burn through the whole thing in a day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/10/2021 at 8:33 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

No it wasn’t. It was obvious after episode one. Maybe you were surprised when Ross and Rachel wound up together, or Leonard and Penny, but you shouldn’t have been. The whole “Will they or won’t they?” plot line was pioneered with Sam and Diane on Cheers. Seinfeld specifically avoided it because it was so obvious but they still toyed with the idea of Jerry and Elaine winding up together. I couldn’t even tell you the characters names but if you didn’t know who the mother was going to be in HIMYM after the first episode then you sort of suck at sitcoms.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:47 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I thought the show sucked but I watched the first episode and I was amazed that anyone acted as though the outcome wasn’t set in stone from day one. Did you or did you not say the outcome was pretty damn surprising? I didn’t put those words in your mouth. You said them. I quoted you fairly and accurately. There wasn’t one thing that was surprising about that ending. I could’ve told you how the show was going to end the day after the first episode aired. 

@longhornmatt said the part with him ending up with Robin was predicable.  He then said the part of revealing who the mother actually was and her fate was surprising, which it was.  It wasn't necessarily a good surprise, but it was kind of out of left field compared to how the last two season had been built up.

Judging by your bolded comments above, it sounds like you still don't know who the mother was.   That's fine since you probably didn't watch, but FYI, it wasn't Robin, which you seem to keep implying.  It was a new character played by an actress you don't meet until the final season, so I really doubt you guessed who it was nine seasons before the character was introduced.  

Edited by Tom

On 5/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, Beau Vine said:

Are you kidding me?  

High five!

On 5/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

The dealership ?  unwatchable ?  I celebrate that entire episode. Kramer, and the test ride to empty.  That was gold, but you're correct otherwise.

They're all Twix!!  It was a setup!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The whole show was about nothing.

Yes, there was discussion up thread about how the latter seasons weren't as good because they were about something. I watched a couple this weekend where that felt true. I watched yada yada and it was definitely more classic in that sense. 

On 5/11/2021 at 11:37 PM, Jive Turkey said:

yep.  its exclusion is a major oversight.  Green Acres was so ahead of its time.

Well, the only problem with that is . . .  Wait, I meant to say . . .  Or was it . . . 

County Agent and Ralph the lady carpenter were stellar, as was Eb.  Truly trascendental.

5 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Yes, there was discussion up thread about how the latter seasons weren't as good because they were about something. I watched a couple this weekend where that felt true. I watched yada yada and it was definitely more classic in that sense. 

Further elaboration on this. I can't even remember who made the point, but I sort of see what they were saying. I watched S8 E18 and 19 back to back. 

E18 was "The Nap". It was still funny as hell, but the storyline was caused by direct actions of the main characters. George wants to sleep at work so he has someone build a shelf in his desk for his alarm clock. Kramer decided he wants to take up swimming in the East River. Jerry hires a contractor who builds huge cabinets in his kitchen. All of these are unusual and somewhat extreme activities from the main characters which build the plot of the episode. 

Contrast that with Yada Yada. The characters don't do anything, the plot of the episode is built on from regular interactions and conversations that they have. George's new gf starts to yada yada things that are later revealed to be sex and shoplifting. Jerry's dentist converts to Judaism and starts telling Jewish jokes. Mickey and Kramer double date and can't decide who should date who. Elaine accidentally tells child services that the husband of the prospective new parent couple has a bad temper and then has to sleep with the child services guy to undo her action. Jerry complains about dentists to his new woman and she agrees with him before roping in the blacks and and the Jews. It's all basically...nothing. Main characters did nothing and the story evolved around them vs in The Nap the main characters' actions drove the story. 

I remember before the The Yada Yada it was billed as a more traditional, show about nothing, Seinfeld episode. At the time there was some grumbling from the fans that the final season, and the post Larry David seasons, were departures from classic Seinfeld motifs. 

I think all of the seasons have held up well. Even Season 1, with just 5 episodes had some classic Seinfeld moments. 

Mary Tyler Moore was hot and this was another of the all time great scenes, especially with the reaction of Ted Baxter with lines like, (and I might not be getting these quotes exactly right), “I need a glass of water,” “I need another glass of water,” “I think every woman in America should dress like this,” and, “Don’t worry, I’m a doctor:” :D

MaryRichard-GreenDresspinterest.com-Rev.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1