100 Best Sitcoms of All Time

TonyTexas

80. Sanford & Son- What the actual fuck? Wash your ass and put some respek on Redd’s name. Waaaaaaay too low.

60. Good Times- On the Black Jesus and James dying episodes alone, this should be in the Top 20. Why!?! Why?!? Why?!?

I didn’t see the following (but #50-#41 didn’t show in my feed), but just off the top of my head :

The Jeffersons- Even after moving on up, a brotha can catch a break in the rankings.

Different Strokes- What you talkin bout Willis? 
The Brady Bunch- Erbody knows about the George Glass and driving contest episodes.

Alice- The Rolling Stone can kiss my grits.

Happy Days- they really jumped the shark by missing this one. 
Gomer Pyle- Golly!

Facts of Life, The Fresh Prince, Welcome Back Kotter, Barney Miller, One Day at At a Time, Eight is Enough, My Three Sons, Hogan’s Heroes, Leave it to Beaver... so many more they left off that should have been on the list.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I had forgotten about Men Behaving Badly.  Nice blast from the past.  Around that same time NBC also had a very short lived sitcom with Fred Savage and Kenny Bania from Seinfeld working in an office that I remember being bizarre but funny.

I've tried to forget Men Behaving Badly because it was a bloody abortion of the original Britcom which was brilliant.

The Fred Savage show about working in an office was called... Working.

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

No Family Ties? I mean I know Michael J Fox’s acting got a little shaky as time went on but he was golden as Alex P Keaton with the dirty lib parents.

Growing pains should have been on there as well imo- in my mind those two show where the same network and night but maybe I ducked that up. family Ties was great. 

Also wanted to mention glad to see Jack Benny get listed. All his shows were pretty much rehashed of his radio scripts, but they were still gold. It was the original show within a show and the actors were caricatures of themselves in real life. Rochester (Eddie Anderson) steals the show. It was the original show about nothing that Larry David is still cranking out today.

You can still catch reruns on JLTV (DTV325).

Jack Benny influences comedians even today. He's on the Mount Rushmore of comedy.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, RPM said:

Also wanted to mention glad to see Jack Benny get listed. All his shows were pretty much rehashed of his radio scripts, but they were still gold. It was the original show within a show and the actors were caricatures of themselves in real life. Rochester (Eddie Anderson) steals the show. It was the original show about nothing that Larry David is still cranking out today.

Jack Benny influences comedians even today. He's on the Mount Rushmore of comedy.

Agree on Benny. Bob Newhart is the only other person that can get that big a laugh out of total silence and a deadpan expression. 

Seinfeld was sold as a comedy about nothing, but it was really a show about how stand up comedians get their material. 

On the list itself, meh. Comedy tends to be personal, and what one person finds hysterically funny, others don't. The stuff that stands up over time tends to be slapstick and goofy, rather than witty. 

The Three Stooges, Addams Family, Munsters, and Gilligan's Island, for example. My college students all know them. Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, All in the Family? Nah. Off the radar.

Confession that I haven't seen any of the British comedies listed. 

Little bit of trivia on McHale's Navy. It seems pretty awkward now, but I loved it as a kid. 

The show was based on a Alcoa Playhouse TV show, "Seven Against the Sea," which was a straight WWII drama. That's why they cast a dramatic actor, Ernest Borgnine, in the lead. The guy that did the old Phil Silvers show came in, and changed it to "Sgt. Bilko Joins the Navy." 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Radar did a good impression of Jack.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Stooges, Sanford & Son, Gilligan, are a few shows I loved as a kid but couldn't sit through today.  

Sanford and Son is still got a good edge to it.  Stooges are definitely stale, and Gilligan is just to get a glimpse of Mary Anne and Ginger.

I'm glad to see A Different World made the list. I'm whiter than Wonder bread, but I watched it every time it was on cable. A well written show with an excellent cast. I liked it better than The Cosby Show, probably because everything about college fascinated me as an adolescent. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm glad to see A Different World made the list. I'm whiter than Wonder bread, but I watched it every time it was on cable. A well written show with an excellent cast. I liked it better than The Cosby Show, probably because everything about college fascinated me as an adolescent. 

And it didn't star a rapist, like the show it spun off from. 

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Stooges, Sanford & Son, Gilligan, are a few shows I loved as a kid but couldn't sit through today.  

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sanford and Son is still got a good edge to it.  Stooges are definitely stale, and Gilligan is just to get a glimpse of Mary Anne and Ginger.

You two probably liked Shemp. 

curlyshuffle.gif

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Don't remember the channel but used to catch the JB show every so often, absolutely hilarious.  IIRC, he was Carson's favorite.  

52 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

You two probably liked Shemp. 

curlyshuffle.gif

Ohhh fuuuuuuuck you (said with brotherly Surly love)...........  It's Curly, there is no substitute.  I Dug the stooges,  I'll watch the Stooges,  but not for very long anymore.

I've seen em all at least 20 times over the years if not more.  I liked the remake they did a few years back, I laughed my ass off.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

Depending on which episode, can barely watch Happy Days anymore.  It was a great show when it was about Ritchie and the Cunninghams sprinkled a bit with Ralph, Potsie and Fonzie.  Three's Company is still a good watch, Ritter was just a GD brilliant performer.  

13 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Depending on which episode, can barely watch Happy Days anymore.  It was a great show when it was about Ritchie and the Cunninghams sprinkled a bit with Ralph, Potsie and Fonzie.  Three's Company is still a good watch, Ritter was just a GD brilliant performer.  

So the Mork episode didn't do it for ya ?

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Another fun topic would be what are the top 100 sit-com episodes ever?

Marge vs. The Monorail is the funniest 23 mins of TV ever made - but what next? 

The Springfield Connection, the episode where Marge becomes a cop is my favorite Simpsons episode. Still laugh out loud during the poker game scene.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I kinda want to throw a flag on cartoons. They should be a separate category.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Probably have to put Seinfeld “The Contest” at the top of the list. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, RPM said:

I kinda want to throw a flag on cartoons. They should be a separate category.

Yeah they should be.  You've got some great contenders.  Simpsons, Rick and Morty, Archer, The Animaniacs series, Ren and Stimpy, King of the hill, Bugs Bunny (the king, and I'll fight anyone who says different), Bullwinkle, The Flintstones (the first animated prime time series)... that list can go on for a while.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I can’t even attempt to pick the best Simpsons episode as they have so many that are just perfect.  I love Seinfeld, Cheers, Curb and other sitcoms but the sheer volume of brilliance from the early Simpsons is crazy.  Just a few episodes off the top of my head...

Rosebud

Camp Krusty 

Deep Space Homer

Cape Feare

Homer at the Bat

Summer of 4ft 2”

Last Exit to Springfield

Mountain of Madness

Treehouse of Horrors -(Not sure which one but some are still fantastic)

and I am sure I just missed a bunch of episodes that are unbelievably still funny to this day.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2