2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

1-1 game until the 5th when infield defensive miscues allowed OU to take the lead 3-1.   3 unearned runs.  PvS pitched a great game until the 6th and should have been relieved in my opinion.

Personally,  I am proud of the team for being very competitive against a team with superior talent.    I hope we can continue this competitiveness against Baylor next weekend.   

Remaining season schedule:

Incarnate Word  DH  today

@Baylor   Sat, 6:30,(FSSW)  Sun, 2PM

B12 Tournament@ OKC,  11, 12 May  

Currently 34 RPI.     I am not familiar with the softball NCAA selection process.   Finished 30 RPI last year which resulted in selection.   Probably will sneak-in this year but sent to a challenging Regional in Florida, Oregon, or UCLA.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Baylor 7 - Texas 5   1-1 game till the 5th when game was lost.

Softball,  more so than baseball,  is such a timing technique pertaining to hitting.   In a key game,  after one time thru the lineup,  you should have your best pitcher ready to relieve and not wait for the inevitable.    As in a 1-1 game and opposing team hits back-to-back doubles in the 5th inning.   Relieve the pitcher before the next batter hits a home run.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Erica Wright peaked as a freshman :(

She had a very serious injury her sophomore year if you are not aware.    Never will have the same velocity.   Was questionable if she would ever play.   Much respect for her.

Redshirt sophomore pitcher Erica Wright heard a soft click in her right rib cage as she closed the door at church last spring. She sat in the service, breathing heavily in pain. 

“I just thought, ‘Oh no, this is happening again,’” Wright said. 

It started in July 2015, when Wright felt pain in her shoulder.

“I couldn’t pitch at all and that’s not like me,” Wright said.

She found out that her first right rib was broken and with time and rest, she thought she would be back for fall ball. In November, the doctors discovered it wasn’t healing, so she had it removed.

Wright had just started pitching again last spring when she felt that familiar click. Her second rib was broken. Despite rehabilitation, the injury only grew worse. In March 2016, Wright had her second rib removed and didn’t take the circle until mid-October.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2017/03/23/erica-wright-makes-slow-and-steady-return-to-softball

• Like 1

2-0, Baylor.    Baylor scored 2 runs in the 4th on a single, error,  2 walks, and 2 sac flys.   We had bases loaded in top 6th, 1 out,  couldn't score.   Outhit Baylor 6-3.   Walks will kill you in softball.

Finish regular season at 30-23, 10-8 conf, 4th place.    Losing 8 of 9 final conference games may not look good in eyes of selection committee.   In baseball,  committee also considers how you finish the season.   NCAA RPI should be released Monday.

B12 Tournament Fri, Sat.   Round Robin format,  undefeated team wins.    Not positive,  but I think we will play Iowa St and OU on Friday.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You called it. Time for Clark to go. 

We'll sneak into some regional as a 3 seed, we will lose a couple of "competitive" games in the regional, and Plonsky and Clark will call the season a success. Happens every year. Only CDC can force a change. 

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

#39 RPI.

Correct me,  but I do not recall a coach at Texas entering the final year of their contract without an extension/termination.    Perhaps CC was asked to retire but declined and the administration elected to permit her to serve the final year without an extension/announcement/termination.     It was a poor choice which has effected the team and CC's  in-game coaching decisions imo.      Recruiting will likely be affected.

Rice and TCU do not have softball programs.   CDC was Asst AD at Arizona (strong softball program) from 2000-2006.   Will be interesting to see the decision.   Preaching to the choir,  but what we have is a Jody Conradt scenario minus the national championship.

B12 Tournament Schedule     FCS  is 1751/53/55/56  on  UVerse.  

NCAA Selection Show, 9PM, Sunday, ESPN2

PHILLIPS 66 Big 12 SOFTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE

FRIDAY, MAY 11
11:00 a.m. Game 1 No. 2 Oklahoma State vs. No. 3 Baylor Stadium- OGE Energy Field (FCS)
11:00 a.m. Game 2 No. 4 Texas vs. No. 6 Iowa State Integris (FloSoftball)
2:00 p.m. Game 3 No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 4 Texas Stadium- OGE Energy Field (FCS)
2:00 p.m. Game 4 No. 3 Baylor vs. No. 5 Texas Tech Integris (FloSoftball)
5:00 p.m. Game 5 No. 2 Oklahoma State vs. No. Texas Tech Stadium- OGE Energy Field (FCS)
7:30 p.m. Game 6 No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 6 Iowa State Stadium- OGE Energy Field (FCS)

SATURDAY, MAY 12
11:00 a.m. Game 7 Pool A 3rd place vs. Pool B 3rd place Stadium (FCS)
1:30 p.m. Game 8 Pool A 2nd place vs. Pool B 2nd place Stadium (FCS)
4:00 p.m. Game 9 Pool A 1st place vs. Pool B 1st place Stadium (FS2)

10-1, OU

Terrible !   PvS should have been relieved in the 2nd inning after OU scored 3 runs not in the 4th after they have 6 runs.    May have been the same result,  but you must give your team a chance.

Team came out aggressive with small ball and had momentum,  all for naught if you let your pitcher get rocked.

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

at this point, its either recruiting or coaching.  

Why not both/gif    

From what I have been told and observed,   softball recruiting is pretty cutthroat.    Not confirmed,  but I read/heard that CC does not actively recruit a player if they have committed elsewhere and is not as proactive in recruiting eligible transfer candidates.     OU began their run a few years ago fueled by key transfers from other programs.    They also have 10 players from California,  recognized as a premier state for softball.

Coaching decisions can always be criticized,  but the lack of offense and timely pitching changes are concerning.

Today's schedule:        The winner of Baylor/OU will be the tournament champion.    

SATURDAY, MAY 12

11:00 a.m   .Game 7   No. 6 Iowa State vs No. 2 Oklahoma    StateStadium (FCS)

1:30 p.m   .Game 8  No. 4 Texas vs No. 5 Texas Tech     Stadium (FCS)

4:00 p.m.Game 9No. 1 Oklahoma vs No. 3 Baylor    Stadium (FS2)

1 hour ago, torre said:

From what I have been told and observed,   softball recruiting is pretty cutthroat.    Not confirmed,  but I read/heard that CC does not actively recruit a player if they have committed elsewhere and is not as proactive in recruiting eligible transfer candidates.     OU began their run a few years ago fueled by key transfers from other programs.    They also have 10 players from California,  recognized as a premier state for softball.

This is what I've heard too. Clark is a bit of an 'old school' coach when it comes to recruiting... A bit honorable but times are changing and coaches need to adapt.