What Time Is It? It's Permanent Daylight Saving Time

Bama Llama

Or Howdy Doody Time, take your pick.

From AL.com: "The Alabama House voted 93-1 on Thursday following a lengthy debate on SB388, sending the bill to Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey for final consideration. But making daylight saving time year-round in Alabama will only be possible through the approval of Congress."

I would much prefer permanent standard time.  I don't enjoy stone darkness at 7:30 am, which is what we'd have with permanent DST, at least in the eastern part of CT zone.  What say you in Fort Stockton, where it would remain dark in December even longer?

Guest Lobo

I used to want us to just pick one or the other.  Either go the whole year with standard time or the whole year with DS time.  

But after our February storm, I know that no matter which time setting we choose---the appointees at ERCOT will use it as an excuse for why our grid failed again and again.  

Edited by Lobo

How does permanent Day light savings  keep black people from voting?

With a 93-1 vote like that, there’s got to be some sort of voter suppression angle to this, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

How does permanent Day light savings  keep black people from voting?

With a 93-1 vote like that, there’s got to be some sort of voter suppression angle to this, right?

Nah just a stupidity and laziness thing.  They think they’re having a lively discussion about a concept that involves them manually switching clock hours twice a year.

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

From AL.com: "The Alabama House voted 93-1 on Thursday following a lengthy debate on SB388, sending the bill to Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey for final consideration. But making daylight saving time year-round in Alabama will only be possible through the approval of Congress."

I would much prefer permanent standard time.  I don't enjoy stone darkness at 7:30 am, which is what we'd have with permanent DST, at least in the eastern part of CT zone.  What say you in Fort Stockton, where it would remain dark in December even longer?

There is nothing worse than darkness at 5:30 pm with ST winter. Leaving work in the dark day after day is soul crushing. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Fort Stockton

which should be in mountain time. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't care much, but it is annoying if you deal with foreign countries.  Some do it, some don't and some do it on a different schedule, so the time difference is temporarily altered.

we were on the same schedule as europe until about a decade ago when congress fucked with it. 

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

There is nothing worse than darkness at 5:30 pm with ST winter. Leaving work in the dark day after day is soul crushing. 

then leave at 4:30.  just don't lie to everyone and say it's 5:30.

Edited by elfenix
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

I agree. We all have our preference. Our preferences and a quarter won't buy shit.

But there are societal benefits to standard time: fewer traffic accidents during the morning commute being one. Higher productivity at work. Teenagers and young adults do better in school and have better attendance under standard time.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
ask yo momma for the reason

Guest Lobo
39 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

What is 4:30 am on the metric scale?

I tried to use your mom's mattress scale.  But its clock says, "It's always business time."  

Serious question---why did we go from 6 months (half the year) of Standard and 6 months of Daylight Saving -TO- 8 months of Daylight Saving and 4 months of Standard?  I get the case for keeping DST, but why 8 months?  If the majority of timekeeping is a modification, isn't that now the standard?  What was so important about putting October back and March from Standard into DST?  

Edited by Lobo

So, real talk:  I'm convinced much of the hate on the time change is related to a 2005 law that changed the dates of switch over.  It used to be the last sunday in October and the first sunday in April.  The bill changed it to the First Sunday in November and the 2nd Sunday in March. It adds a month of daylight savings time.  I think that move makes, particularly Spring Forward, much more intense diurnal discontent with our internal body clocks.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not affected by SAD, but I know people who are and thus am sympathetic to the problem. When we lived closer to the CST/EST line, it was very hard on them. They soldiered through it as most people do, but I can see how it is an issue.

That being said, it doesn't bother me one way or the other, I'm just as well suited regardless. So, my only request would be to figure out something and stick with it. Whether that is the old way, a new way, or whatever--just publicize it so I'm not unaware.

Guest Lobo

It adds closer to two months.  It's okay in November but it sucks in March.  

In 2021, we will spend 238 days under DST and just 127 days under Standard Time.  Roughly a 65/35 split.  It also calls into questions, the boundaries of certain timezones as populations shift.   

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I tried to use your mom's mattress scale.  But its clock says, "It's always business time."  

Serious question---why did we go from 6 months (half the year) of Standard and 6 months of Daylight Saving -TO- 8 months of Daylight Saving and 4 months of Standard?  I get the case for keeping DST, but why 8 months?  If the majority of timekeeping is a modification, isn't that now the standard?  What was so important about putting October back and March from Standard into DST?  

I think I’ve posted a similar rant 2-3 times before when this has come up. The fact that “Standard Time” is now by definition not the standard irritates me more than it should.

Pick a time, any time, and stick to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

I think we should have Standard Time at National League ballparks and Daylight Saving Time for the American League ballparks.  

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

I think I’ve posted a similar rant 2-3 times before when this has come up. The fact that “Standard Time” is now by definition not the standard irritates me more than it should.

Pick a time, any time, and stick to it.

I addressed that above: 2005.   The Spring forward is the real problem.  Humans, like dogs and squirrels, are intensely diurnal animals.  we live by the sun.  Anyone who has lost power for more than two days knows you start going to bed pretty quick after sunset after the first night of candles and wine. The March date creates a terrible situation on the eastern seaboard where right as we are starting to get morning light and getting used to is, we are pushed back into darkness.  It makes mornings horrible. When the Spring date was in April, the light change effect was much less intense.

Guest Lobo

Just giving you a hard time because Jonah's giant body is hard to miss.  But I guess on tapa you can't see it.  I've never been on tapa, didn't know the pics don't show up.  

Go back to ignore but you'll miss out on funny Veep shit.  Cool to hear you actually have a sense of humor though.  

---------------

I get the Congressional deal with regards to states making new decisions on DST.  But how did Indiana circumvent the whole deal for decades?  It wasn't until 2006 they did a statewide switch to both DST/Standard which was also conflated by their chunk of population in CT to correlate with Chicago.  You could leave NW Indiana and move two hours because of ET and lack of DST.  I know Arizona and Hawaii were sort of "grandfathered" in, but Indiana wa a shitshow.  Is there some kind of precedent where states can move in/out as they see fit?  It would be a disaster but let's be honest...in this post 2020 era...I can see states switching to one or other full-time just to pretend like they're standing up to federal rules. 

Edited by Lobo

Today it was pretty lit up by 6:30 in the morning and should stay pretty lit up until at least 8:00 tonight.  I get these standard / daylight saving times mixed up, but whichever one we're on now is what I prefer.  I hate the winter when it gets light at 8:00 and dark again at 5:00.  Fuck that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Just giving you a hard time because Jonah's giant body is hard to miss.  But I guess on tapa you can't see it.  I've never been on tapa, didn't know the pics don't show up.  

Go back to ignore but you'll miss out on funny Veep shit.  Cool to hear you actually have a sense of humor though.  

---------------

I get the Congressional deal with regards to states making new decisions on DST.  But how did Indiana circumvent the whole deal for decades?  It wasn't until 2006 they did a statewide switch to both DST/Standard which was also conflated by their chunk of population in CT to correlate with Chicago.  You could leave NW Indiana and move two hours because of ET and lack of DST.  I know Arizona and Hawaii were sort of "grandfathered" in, but Indiana wa a shitshow.  Is there some kind of precedent where states can move in/out as they see fit?  It would be a disaster but let's be honest...in this post 2020 era...I can see states switching to one or other full-time just to pretend like they're standing up to federal rules. 

Totally guessing but I bet they got a waiver/rider in the same 2005 Energy bill that added a month of daylight savings. 

24 minutes ago, elfenix said:

yeah damn that whole earth tilted on an axis thing

Which is another reason my retirement will be in a locale close to the equator.  I think sunrise and sunset each vary by about 20 minutes over the course of a year.

47 minutes ago, elfenix said:

yeah damn that whole earth tilted on an axis thing

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is what we should concentrate on fixing!

Didn't W commit to fighting this axis of evil? #WhyNotDone

• Haha 1

As a computer guy working in the trading/data industry, day light savings is a huge pain in the ass every single year. It's not as huge an issue when we "spring forward" other than we have to account for the missing hour if looking at 24hr timeframes.  If is however a complete cluster pain in the ass when we fall back as suddenly there are two data points for 2am or 1am or 3am or whenever since its not like all places some standard on day light savings.  And now with many exchanges on a 24hr trade cycle... dear lord it can be awful.  Trade happened at 2:05am CST... ok... when exactly did it happen again??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like CFB playoffs, we spend too much time debating the details of the flawed system instead of putting the whole thing on trial. Rather than a variable sunrise and sunset time and a standardized rate of time, we should establish standardized sunrise and sunset times (6:30 am and 8:00 pm respectively) and use variable hour rates.

Sunrise is henceforth 6:30 AM and sunset is 8:00 PM. This should be standardize regardless of your location and time of year. Make the day hours fit into this standard with a variable rate of time.

It might make some things a little more complicated since time would move more quickly or slowly based on time of year and location, but it would forever solve the time change problem and give us consistent morning and evening daylight “hours.” It would also reinvigorate the watch industry since everyone’s current watches would be obsolete. Good for our health, good for our recreation, and good for the economy.

Edited by Mole

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Sunrise is henceforth 6:30 AM and sunset is 8:00 PM. This should be standardize regardless of your location and time of year. Make the day hours fit into this standard with a variable rate of time.

Congrats, this is one of the batshittiest things I've ever read.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

It harkens back to our primal roots in using daylight to track the day. Plus, those long afternoon meetings in the winter just got a lot shorter.

Instead of thinking of time as something fixed, think of it as a measure of a percentage of the sun’s movement across the sky in any given location.

Edited by Mole

3 hours ago, Mole said:

Like CFB playoffs, we spend too much time debating the details of the flawed system instead of putting the whole thing on trial. Rather than a variable sunrise and sunset time and a standardized rate of time, we should establish standardized sunrise and sunset times (6:30 am and 8:00 pm respectively) and use variable hour rates.

It might make some things a little more complicated since time would move more quickly or slowly based on time of year and location, but it would forever solve the time change problem and give us consistent morning and evening daylight “hours.” It would also reinvigorate the watch industry since everyone’s current watches would be obsolete. Good for our health, good for our recreation, and good for the economy.

it's called a temporal hour and that's how things worked in most of civilization until about 500 years ago.  except it was 6 to 6.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

why the fuck aren't you using UTC or unix epoch?

Same reason alarm clocks wouldn't use UTC, we also deal with future dates. We'd still have to deal with UTC offsets for client perspectives as well.

Also conversion to UTC will always be correct, but conversion from UTC back to local may not be over time if the local rule changed.  If just became easier to know all data trade/expiry data was stored in exchange time as that would always be correct and when audited it would never be an issue.

Let's get the people who crashed the multimillion dollar spacecraft into Mars because they didn't know the difference between yards and meters to solve this clock problem.  Should be easy for them.

• Like 1