What Time Is It? It's Permanent Daylight Saving Time

Bama Llama

On 5/7/2021 at 12:45 PM, Mole said:

Like CFB playoffs, we spend too much time debating the details of the flawed system instead of putting the whole thing on trial. Rather than a variable sunrise and sunset time and a standardized rate of time, we should establish standardized sunrise and sunset times (6:30 am and 8:00 pm respectively) and use variable hour rates.

Sunrise is henceforth 6:30 AM and sunset is 8:00 PM. This should be standardize regardless of your location and time of year. Make the day hours fit into this standard with a variable rate of time.

It might make some things a little more complicated since time would move more quickly or slowly based on time of year and location, but it would forever solve the time change problem and give us consistent morning and evening daylight “hours.” It would also reinvigorate the watch industry since everyone’s current watches would be obsolete. Good for our health, good for our recreation, and good for the economy.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

Guest Lobo

There was a dystopian 70's/early 80's thriller that was something about humans trying to straighten the planet off its axial tilt to avoid global warming or some shit.  and we ended up fucking it up worse (like in "Snowpiercer", but much earlier).  And then everything got covered in either sand or ice.  So dune buggys or snowmobiles were the hot commodity.  I forget the rest of the movie, but I think David Carradine was in it and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick sucks cocks in hell.  

Guest Lobo

But the end is your mom's favorite part.  Admittedly, my role in it is never a twist...but she always completes the denouement with such passionate fervor. 

Seriously though, it's 5 weeks to the Solstice.  I can't get the kids asleep with this shit until 8:30p some nights.  Let's just go back to standard.  To hell with being sad in the Winter because of the early sunsets.  Let's just deal with it like the Nordic folks and develop dependency issues. 

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

But the end is your mom's favorite part.  Admittedly, my role in it is never a twist...but she always completes the denouement with such passionate fervor. 

Seriously though, it's 5 weeks to the Solstice.  I can't get the kids asleep with this shit until 8:30p some nights.  Let's just go back to standard.  To hell with being sad in the Winter because of the early sunsets.  Let's just deal with it like the Nordic folks and develop dependency issues. 

Fuck that to hell.  Standard time sucks ass.  No one forced you to have kids; deal with it. 

Guest Lobo
44 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Fuck that to hell.  Standard time sucks ass.  No one forced you to have kids; deal with it. 

Show me on the clock where Standard Time touched you.  

• 9 months later...

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-bill-that-would-make-daylight-savings-time-permanent-2023-2022-03-15/

U.S. Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

The Senate approved the measure, called the Sunshine Protection Act, unanimously by voice vote. The House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on the matter, still must pass the bill before it can go to President Joe Biden to sign. The White House has not said whether Biden supports it.

On Sunday, most of the United States resumed daylight saving time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November.

Senator Marco Rubio, one of the bill's sponsors, said after input from airlines and broadcasters that supporters agreed that the change would not take place until November 2023.

The change would help enable children to play outdoors later and reduce seasonal depression, according to supporters.

"I know this is not the most important issue confronting America but it is one of those issues that there is a lot of agreement. ... If we can get this passed, we don't have to do this stupidity anymore," Rubio added. "Pardon the pun, but this is an idea whose time has come."

About 30 states since 2015 have introduced legislation to end the twice-yearly changing of clocks, with some states proposing to do it only if neighboring states do the same.

The House Energy and Commerce committee held a hearing on the issue this month. Representative Frank Pallone, the committee's chairman, said that "the loss of that one hour of sleep seems to impact us for days afterwards. It also can cause havoc on the sleeping patterns of our kids and our pets."

Pallone backs ending the clock switching but has not decided whether to support daylight or standard time as the permanent choice.

Pallone cited a 2019 poll that found that 71% of Americans prefer to no longer switch their clocks twice a year.

Supporters say the change could prevent a slight uptick in car crashes that typically occurs around the time changes and point to studies showing a small increase in the rate of heart attacks and strokes soon after the time change.

"It has real repercussions on our economy and our daily lives," said Senator Ed Markey, another leading sponsor.

Supporters argue it could help businesses such as golf courses that could draw more use with more evening daylight.

The use of daylight saving time has been in place in nearly all of the United States since the 1960s after being first tried in 1918. Year-round daylight savings time was adopted in 1973 in a bid to reduce energy use because of an oil embargo and repealed a year later.

The bill would allow Arizona and Hawaii, which do not observe daylight saving time, to remain on standard time.

I can't prove it, but I think Cruz was behind this because it gives him more time to see into his backyard for fleeing men who just finished banging his wife.  

Because she's a cum-guzzling whore.  Women should be free to do what they please, but sucking down jizz out of hatred for whom God cursed you to betroth.....that's a tough pill to swallow no matter the time of day.  Godspeed you two cum-dumpsters.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t give a shit gif

Whatever.  You know damn well who was behind the clock shift to start and why they're backing the change now, conveniently after all these years.  

8 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Frustrating how the senate never votes on anything cool like marijuana reform, but they waste their time with crap bills like this.

I get that (and 1000% agree), but isn't this a good thing? I mean, it's not whirrled peas or anything like that, but at least getting rid of one antiquated law/practice on the books, no?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I get that (and 1000% agree), but isn't this a good thing? I mean, it's not whirrled peas or anything like that, but at least getting rid of one antiquated law/practice on the books, no?

Let’s put it this way:

we (the US as a whole) are a basketball team and we’re trailing Team 1st World by 30 points in the third quarter. These senators are falling down trying to high five each other after nailing a single free throw.

32 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Maybe.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/03/daylight-saving-time-senate-rubio-markey.html

From the article:

"And there’s good evidence to believe that people might not like a change to permanent DST once it’s implemented. For example: the previous time the United States did this exact thing, and people hated it.

"In 1973, President Richard Nixon, seeking to find a way to alleviate the pain of an energy crisis (and to do morning crimes in the darkness?), signed into law a year-round DST bill. This enjoyed wild polling support at the time. Shortly after it was implemented in 1974, though, people started going to work and school in the dark and polling support collapsed. It screwed up circadian rhythms! Everyone was losing it! It didn’t help with energy costs either. So the experiment wasn’t renewed.

"Have times changed? Sure. Much fewer kids are walking to school now, so there is less immediate safety concern about sending them out into dark streets in the morning. That, however, does not solve the problem of people being miserable and confused if they’ve been up for a couple of hours in the dark. (We could always allow society to start a little later in the morning. Just one not-a-morning-person’s two cents.)"

19 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Of course these fucking idiots, 100%, go against science and common sense, and vote 100% the wrong way.

The stats and science are clear: people are happier, more productive, less tired, kids do better in school, better attendance, less traffic accidents, under standard time.

cue up the two categories of whiny bitches:

1- But I like getting up early, I'm a morning person, wah wah waaah

2- But I like plenty of daylight after I get home, boo hoo hoo.

It ain't about your feelings and what you like, snowflakes.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
DST induced bad typing

59 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

The antiquated law is daylight savings time itself. Getting rid of the antiquated law known as DST would be going back to Standard time 100%.

• Like 1

The problem is that this bill would go to DST year round. There would no longer be Standard time, at least in most states.

They should have voted to do away with DST and go to Standard time year round. Like the founding fathers, God, and Baby Jesus on the Cross all intended.

edit: and yes, of course people just want to bitch.

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The problem is that this bill would go to DST year round. There would no longer be Standard time, at least in most states.

They should have voted to do away with DST and go to Standard time year round. Like the founding fathers, God, and Baby Jesus on the Cross all intended.

edit: and yes, of course people just want to bitch.

isn't Standard the problem? that makes for brighter mornings and early evenings, no? and I don't know about other parts of the country, but the sun coming up at 7:30 instead of 6:30 is a great thing in my book. the sun going down at 6p is depressing as fuck. I must be missing something

Yeah, i'm leaning towards standard full time and not dst. Or make it illegal to start schools (or anthing else for that matter) before 8:00. I know there is a time of year when I drop my daughter off at school at 7:30 am when its pitch dark outside.

• Hook 'Em 1

what you are missing is that the earlier the sun comes up, the easier it is for most people, on average, to get up and get going. If I have to get up at say, 7, to get to work by 8, then its better for me biologically if the sun comes up at 6:30 instead of 7:30. I'm less tired, yadda yadda yadda.

If I'm a slug who gets up at 10, then yeah, later sunrise might be preferable, because then I'm sleeping through less of the "day".

Everybody has their preferences. But if you ignore what people "like" and look at measurable metrics like productivity, car crashes, school attendance rates, etc, standard time is better.

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

what you are missing is that the earlier the sun comes up, the easier it is for most people, on average, to get up and get going. If I have to get up at say, 7, to get to work by 8, then its better for me biologically if the sun comes up at 6:30 instead of 7:30. I'm less tired, yadda yadda yadda.

If I'm a slug who gets up at 10, then yeah, later sunrise might be preferable, because then I'm sleeping through less of the "day".

Everybody has their preferences. But if you ignore what people "like" and look at measurable metrics like productivity, car crashes, school attendance rates, etc, standard time is better.

You sure you're just not projecting your own preference?

Pallone cited a 2019 poll that found 71% of Americans prefer to no longer switch their clocks twice a year.

Supporters say the change could prevent a slight uptick in car crashes that typically occurs around the time changes and point to studies showing a small increase in the rate of heart attacks and strokes soon after the time change. They argue the measure could help businesses such as golf courses that could draw more use with more evening daylight.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-bill-that-would-make-daylight-savings-time-permanent-2023-2022-03-15/

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Of course these fucking idiots, 100%, go against science and common sense, and vote 100% the wrong way.

The stats and science are clear: people are happier, more productive, less tired, kids do better in school, better attendance, less traffic accidents, under standard time.

cue up the two categories of whiny bitches:

1- But I like getting up early, I'm a morning person, wah wah waaah

2- But I like plenty of daylight after I get home, boo hoo hoo.

It ain't about your feelings and what you like, snowflakes.

Tell me you live where the sun doesn’t set at 4:30p in December without telling me you live where the sun doesn’t set at 4:30p…

Everybody's pissed off that they lost an hour of weekend and their sleep cycles are off. I suspect that the bill was passed in this tragic time of American suffering when our minds are already overwhelmed by the Ukraine Invasion and all the effort we put into using Uke flag backgrounds and reading cute memes about the war.

We've seen A&M cruelly left out of the NCAA tournament. There was a late cold front that made us cold. I'm pretty sure another Kardashian has ended a relationship with an NBA player. 

We need this legislation. We've been through hell. Fucked up supply chains have left the Pillsbury biscuit shelf empty at my HEB!  

spacer.png

We've been face down in the mud with somebody kicking us in the head with an iron boot. Now the Reds are coming after our sunshine? Children's sunshine, Mandrake? 

God bless the Senate for the Sunshine Protection Act. 

Edited by RomaVicta

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Or make it illegal to start schools (or anthing else for that matter) before 8:00. I know there is a time of year when I drop my daughter off at school at 7:30 am when its pitch dark outside.

So locally, Middle School starts at 9:10.   Elementary something like  7:20.    Which to me makes no sense.  The more I read about things and kids the more I think yeah, everything should start at 9:00.  

4 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

Does this finally put us into alignment with Arizona year round or are they just permanently way off now?

Nevermind the fucking Hawaiians, a few counties in Indiana, George Soros, and a Mister Ronan Sinatra.