Jupiter's Legacy (Netflix, Based on Mark Millar's Comics, TVMA)

atomheartbevo

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This struggled to grab my attention 

Between The Boys and Invincible, the bar is pretty high.  I'm going to try a few episodes.

If it was not Mark Millar, I might not be interested.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I've watched about 4 episodes now.  At times it is reminiscent of The Boys but I think, unintentionally - the similarities are more about style than anything.  The substance of the show is reminding more of Watchmen with the overarching plot line about "The Code".  They seem to be setting up a lot of characters with woven subplots and the flashback backstory is pretty interesting.  I think I'm enjoying it for what it is, but I started it without any expectations.

9 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I watched the first episode last night when I couldn't sleep.  It's certainly not The Boys, and it's a little different approach to the flawed super hero angle.  I'll give it at least a couple more episodes before I decide about it.

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s At 39% on rotten tomatoes. Woof 

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

I've watched about 4 episodes now.  At times it is reminiscent of The Boys but I think, unintentionally - the similarities are more about style than anything.  The substance of the show is reminding more of Watchmen with the overarching plot line about "The Code".  They seem to be setting up a lot of characters with woven subplots and the flashback backstory is pretty interesting.  I think I'm enjoying it for what it is, but I started it without any expectations.

From what I've read and what friends have said, they are barely digging into the first handful of comics - basically they are doing a shit-ton of world and character building.  I will stick it out, since it sounds like the future will be really solid.

This is a pretty good breakdown/review of somebody who is really familiar with the comics.  There are some serious spoilers towards the end.  He said they haven't even dug into the main story arc from the first 5 issues.

And he mentions there is a bunch of material that was invented for the show.  Millar was heavily involved with all of it.  

The fight scenes are bad, but so much so I feel like they had to have been making fun of comic book movies.  

I found the world building interesting. I wasn’t sure about the timeline though. Is the opening scene with the bank robbery the future?  

I felt like it didn’t tell as much story as it should have. 

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

The fight scenes are bad, but so much so I feel like they had to have been making fun of comic book movies.  

I found the world building interesting. I wasn’t sure about the timeline though. Is the opening scene with the bank robbery the future?  

I felt like it didn’t tell as much story as it should have. 

Please be 18 vs fox dude inside thing’s head was incredibly bad. She can’t even run. Going for a smart shark vibe only explanation

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, atomheartbevo said:

From what I've read and what friends have said, they are barely digging into the first handful of comics - basically they are doing a shit-ton of world and character building.  I will stick it out, since it sounds like the future will be really solid.

This is a pretty good breakdown/review of somebody who is really familiar with the comics.  There are some serious spoilers towards the end.  He said they haven't even dug into the main story arc from the first 5 issues.

And he mentions there is a bunch of material that was invented for the show.  Millar was heavily involved with all of it.  

Thank you! The video from 1:10 to 2:20 was extremely helpful to me (I was unfamiliar with the original material).  Sounds ambitious. I hope they nail it. 

On 5/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, Js1 said:

This struggled to grab my attention 

I watched the first episode and it was just not good.  As mentioned in here, between Marvel and The Boys, you better do a damn good job if you're going to do a superhero show/movie.  This missed the mark.  Leslie Bibb still looking damn fine, though.

It was decent enough.  No spoiler, but I hate when the season finale serves as a cliffhanger to the upcoming season more than resolution to the current season.  It felt like the show was building up to a signficant showdown or resolution the whole season, but the finale didn't deliver.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

YOUCH!!

The universe is still alive though, and Netflix actually owns the comic book publisher behind it

https://deadline.com/2021/06/supercrooks-live-action-series-netflix-matt-millar-jupiters-legacy-canceled-cast-released-1234768204/

Netflix is turning Mark Millar’s Jupiter’s Legacy series into a universe spanning an anthology franchise. The streamer has set a live-action adaptation of Supercrooks, which delves into the story of Millarworld’s super-villains, as the next installment of the Jupiter’s Legacy saga.

“We’re confident we’ll return to it later,” Millar said of Jupiter’s Legacy, which could come back in a different iteration, sources said.

Netflix has an anime series adaptation of Supercrooks, the superpowered heist comic about eight supervillains written by Millar and drawn by Leinil Francis Yu, which will be released later this year. It will get a sneak peak at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival this month.

While there are characters in the comics that cross over between Supercrooks and Jupiter’s Legacy, the live-action Supercrooks adaptation is in early stages, so it is unclear whether characters from Season 1 of Jupiter’s Legacy would migrate to it. 

Spoiler

Supercrooks is described as a return to the world of Jupiter’s Legacy with a ragtag gang of supervillains, con artists, petty thieves and leg-breakers who band together for the heist of the century and the most outrageous crime story you’ve ever seen in your life. Crime pays, and they’re going to prove it. Some people just want to have the time of their lives and make a little dirty money while they’re doing it. If the superheroes get in the way, they’re going to be spitting teeth.

How do they give a show only one month then drop it?   Many shows take longer then that to catch on then become popular.   I’ve watched the first  few episodes I like, they do a good job of telling the story in pieces.  

Edited by Hook1997

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

sorry they cancelled it. I enjoyed the series but perhaps they spent too much time in Season 1 introducing the characters and didn't get into the story fast enough. Also, if they spent $200m for those 8 episodes, it would seem like there should have been more of something.

I enjoyed it enough but didn’t feel like the told enough story. I assumed the fight scenes were intentionally corney, but how the hell do you spend 200M and have fight scenes like that?  Where did the $200M go?  I don’t remember a ton of special effects. Maybe $200M doesn’t go as far as it used to

• Hook 'Em 1