RIP - JIM BERTELSEN

Steamboat1874

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the story of how a Wisconsin kid made it down to Texas. Probably just wanted to join a group of other bad asses. RIP 35.

If I recall, he hated the cold (as someone now living not far from his hometown of Hudson I can relate).  He was on a recruiting visit to Colorado and the other recruits were all comparing offers.  When he said he had one from Texas they all looked at him and said what the hell are you doing here then. 

My ex father in law is the same age and from Wisconsin.  He remembers it was a big deal that he left big 10 country at the time.  

• Hook 'Em 5

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the story of how a Wisconsin kid made it down to Texas. Probably just wanted to join a group of other bad asses. RIP 35.

Thought there was something about a dentist relative or some weird connection like that that put him on DKR radar. I don’t think it was Ketch

Just found this

https://playground.wissports.net/post/the-legend-of-jim-bertelson-9342498
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

A reporter asked the same question.   🙂

The reporters asked Jim how a running back from Wisconsin got to Texas.

"By plane," Koy said Bertelsen replied without expression.

“And,” Koy said, “he wasn’t trying to be a smart aleck.”

Below is a great, lengthy article on Jim's career worth the read.   Has some great photos.  Will post one below.

It is oft forgotten he scored the tying touchdown in the historic 1969 Arkansas game.    Worster and Street had the attention of the media.

RIP Jim,  Thanks for the memories !

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/2021/05/07/bohls-jim-bertelsens-great-texas-career-says-all/4995161001/

Several 1969 Longhorns pose for a photo at the Cotton Bowl. Front row, from left: Randy Peschel, Bob McKay, Mike Dean, Forest Wiegand, Bobby Mitchell, Bobby Wuensch and Cotton Speyer. Back row, from left: Billy Dale, Ted Koy, James Street, Steve Worster and Jim Bertelsen.

Capture.PNG66.PNG

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 2

I looked and can't find the source for the CU recruiting visit story I shared- I could swear I read it but who knows.

As far as the dentist aunt, according to my ex FIL he was the Vince Young of his day in Wisconsin, everyone in dairy country knew who he was.  I dont think finding him was exactly a diamond in the rough, it was just convincing DKR to waste time on recruiting  a midwest kid when we really didn't recruit much nstionally.

RIP - one of my favorites back in the day.

All I can add is that he moved into a house across the street from my brother in Northwest Hills about the time he retired from the NFL.

My brother, who is damn near a mute himself, said “That guy doesn’t talk much”. Lol

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

All I can add is that he moved into a house across the street from in Northwest Hills about the time he retired from the NFL.

My brother, who is damn near a mute himself, said “That guy doesn’t talk much”. Lol

As a freshman, I lived in Jester and rode the elevator with Jim Bertelsen any number of times.  Everyone in that dorm was pretty much in awe of the football players and you didn’t go out of your way to speak when riding with them unless they initiated the conversation.  Bertelsen, however, was approachable. He projected a kind demeanor and didn’t look like he’d pile drive you if you said, “Hi”.  Our conversations were brief,  but they left a big impression on an 18 year old frosh.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

As a freshman, I lived in Jester and rode the elevator with Jim Bertelsen any number of times.  Everyone in that dorm was pretty much in awe of the football players and you didn’t go out of your way to speak when riding with them unless they initiated the conversation.  Bertelsen, however, was approachable. He projected a kind demeanor and didn’t look like he’d pile drive you if you said, “Hi”.  Our conversations were brief,  but they left a big impression on an 18 year old frosh.

It must suck to be a famous guy just doing life. I usually just give them a nod to let them know that I know.  The fuckers trying to get photos and autographs are insufferable.  Michael Dell and his family just trying to have brunch at Chez Zee was a beating.

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

All I can add is that he moved into a house across the street from my brother in Northwest Hills about the time he retired from the NFL.

Hey Army, Navy here.  We grew up in the same hood!  And all of us were huge Bertelsen fans.  His son Andy is a real talent and if you head out Wimberly way and catch a chance to hear his band the Texas Renegades.  It’s a real treat.  Andy, like his father is quiet, but he has an amazing soulful deep voice. 😢🤘

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jim Bertelsen was the first Longhorn name I remember.  The first college football game I remember watching was the 1969 Texas/Arkansas game.  I was an 8 year old living in northern New Jersey at the time.  A few months earlier, I had learned that the company my dad worked for was moving its HQS to Houston, and we'd all be moving to Texas the following summer, so I was all in on everything Texas.  I just remember hearing Bertelsen's name repeatedly, and he became my first Longhorn hero.  RIP, Mr. Bertelsen

• Hook 'Em 1