Elise Stefanik needs her own thread. She's gonna be a GQP big player.

Jive Turkey

She's on the verge of becoming the GQP's No. 3 as Republican Conference Chair.  She is a full on Trump convert.  Like so many others, she complained about Trump but now kisses his feet.  Elise supports audits to show the election was stolen.  Trump has responded in kind by endorsing her to replace Liz Cheney.

She's joining the mix.  I could definitely see her angling to be Trump's VP if he runs in 2024.  Trump's pick will be a woman.  You can book that.  Ivanka, Nikki, and now Elise are probably the top contenders.

Elise would be fine with that.  She's still young.  She's not in a hurry like Hawley or Cruz to jump to the top of the ticket.

• Hook 'Em 2

Speaking of people I "hate/follow" - I present Exhibit 666 why Trumpism is non-ideological and more akin to a personality cult:

"According to the conservative Heritage Action group:

• Stefanik's lifetime voting score is 48%. (Cheney's is 80%.)
  • The fiscally conservative Club for Growth came out in opposition to Stefanik's ascension on Thursday, noting that she "is NOT a good spokesperson for the House Republican Conference.
    • She is a liberal with a 35% CFGF lifetime rating, 4th worst in the House GOP."
  • And, even when it comes to votes in support of Trump, calculations done by 538 show that Stefanik backed him 77.7% of the time while Cheney did so 92.9% of the time."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-dirty-little-secret-of-trumpism-that-elise-stefanik-reveals/ar-BB1gtrYK

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

NY dems should redraw districts so that she loses her district.

If this is possible and they don't do it, it will show that they have no idea what game they are playing and that they still think there are rules.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If this is possible and they don't do it, it will show that they have no idea what game they are playing and that they still think there are rules.

While it's theoretically possible, it's easier and more in the overall benefit of the Dems to chop up Claudia Tenney's district (NY-22) and pit her and Stefanik against each other in a GOP vote sink district (NY-21) and use the remains of NY-22 to protect NY-19 and NY-18, which are both Dems in R PVI districts, and make life difficult for the current GOP rep in NY-24, which is a D PVI district.   This would likely change the NY map from 19 D - 8R to 23D - 3R, which forces the GOP to make up 5 seats elsewhere. 

Stefanik likely stays in Congress, but at the expense of 5 of her colleagues in NY. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

We already knew the main point here:

Elise Stefanik isn't very conservative. Or, really, that big a backer of Donald Trump's policies during his time in the White House.

This might come as a shock to you, mostly because the New York congresswoman has been endorsed by the former president in her bid to replace Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney in Republican leadership, assuming Cheney is ousted by her colleagues next week.
And Trump -- even before this latest endorsement -- has long lavished praise on Stefanik as one of his favorite members of Congress. In a speech celebrating his acquittal after his first impeachment trial, Trump said this of Stefanik: "I thought, 'She looks good, she looks like good talent.' But I did not realize when she opens that mouth, you were killing them Elise. I'll always be your friend. What a great future you have."
But the numbers don't lie. According to the conservative Heritage Action group, Stefanik's lifetime voting score is 48%. (Cheney's is 80%.) The fiscally conservative Club for Growth came out in opposition to Stefanik's ascension on Thursday, noting that she "is NOT a good spokesperson for the House Republican Conference. She is a liberal with a 35% CFGF lifetime rating, 4th worst in the House GOP."

So, why then is she such a favorite of the former president and his allies in Congress, like Ohio's Jim Jordan, who has already thrown his significant political weight behind her candidacy for Cheney's job?
Because -- and this is the little secret at the heart of the modern Republican Party -- the only qualification for being beloved by the former president is to loudly and publicly praise and/or defend the former president. That's it. Trumpism has nothing to do with policy -- conservative or otherwise. It is a cult of personality, plain and simple.
Once you understand that, you get why Stefanik has risen so quickly in the ranks of Trumpworld. She emerged during the first impeachment hearings against Trump in 2019, aggressively bashing Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee for their handling of the question of whether Trump engaged in a quid pro quo in relation to Ukraine.
"Throughout the first two open hearings of the inquiry, Stefanik has emerged as one of Trump's chief defenders. It's an abrupt change for a lawmaker who opposed top Trump priorities and supported the special counsel probe into Russian interference in the 2016 elections. ... And as the GOP cements itself as the party of Trump, Stefanik appears eager to burnish her own conservative credentials and capitalize on the impeachment proceedings."
She repeated that performance -- and, yes, I mean performance -- during Trump's second impeachment for his role inciting the January 6 Capitol riot. "It is a partisan ploy with no basis in the Constitution," Stefanik wrote to explain her opposition to the impeachment. "The Democrats' decision to impeach the President with one week remaining in his term further fuels the divisions in the country during this very trying time."
Which is how, when Cheney's critique of Trump (and vote to impeach him earlier this year) got her into trouble with her colleagues and Stefanik began to signal interest, it was obvious -- to anyone paying attention -- that the job was hers for the taking.
And not because she is a conservative. She isn't. Or because she carried policy or legislative waters for the Trump administration. She didn't (not really). But because she was willing to say and do what Trump wanted when he wanted. That's it.
The rise of Stefanik lays bare this reality: Trumpism isn't a a set of policies, values or beliefs. It's simply Trump -- and those willing to properly kowtow to his whims and wants.

• Hook 'Em 2

With Trump and GQP, it's not about voting record or actual legislation.

Content generation.

Trumpists don't know a damn thing about the actual practice of politics or political philsophy, and don't give a shit either.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

While it's theoretically possible, it's easier and more in the overall benefit of the Dems to chop up Claudia Tenney's district (NY-22) and pit her and Stefanik against each other in a GOP vote sink district (NY-21) and use the remains of NY-22 to protect NY-19 and NY-18, which are both Dems in R PVI districts, and make life difficult for the current GOP rep in NY-24, which is a D PVI district.   This would likely change the NY map from 19 D - 8R to 23D - 3R, which forces the GOP to make up 5 seats elsewhere. 

Stefanik likely stays in Congress, but at the expense of 5 of her colleagues in NY. 

Yeah, upstate NY, with the is rural as hell and a complete Trump dystopian landscape, I'd imagine.  Although you might think some of the cities up there would counterbalance it some.

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As much as democrats would like to see her lose or gerrymandered out. I totally agree that New York needs to see a stiff 23 D - 3 R map redraw. I don’t trust the republicans. They will go all out in other states to “ own the libs” and we need New York to offset some of those losses elsewhere ( Illinois as well).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, upstate NY, with the is rural as hell and a complete Trump dystopian landscape, I'd imagine.  Although you might think some of the cities up there would counterbalance it some.

At the end of the day, adding 4 Dem seats and getting rid of 5 GOP seats in NY > drawing out Stefanik 

The goal is to protect the House 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

As much as democrats would like to see her lose or gerrymandered out. I totally agree that New York needs to see a stiff 23 D - 3 R map redraw. I don’t trust the republicans. They will go all out in other states to “ own the libs” and we need New York to offset some of those losses elsewhere ( Illinois as well).

They should aim for 26 D to 0 R.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They should aim for 26 D to 0 R.

Illinois can legally do that. They have no requirement for district boundaries to be contiguous. They could literally draw 17 districts that all contain parts of Chicago and are Biden +10 districts if they wanted. 

Edited by Js1

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is also an acceptable outcome.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Illinois can legally do that. They have no requirement for district boundaries to be contiguous. They could literally draw 17 districts that all contain parts of Chicago and are Biden +10 districts if they wanted. 

Essentially the reverse of what the Rs did to Austin.

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

She's on the verge of becoming the GQP's No. 3 as Republican Conference Chair.  She is a full on Trump convert.  Like so many others, she complained about Trump but now kisses his feet.  Elise supports audits to show the election was stolen.  Trump has responded in kind by endorsing her to replace Liz Cheney.

She's joining the mix.  I could definitely see her angling to be Trump's VP if he runs in 2024.  Trump's pick will be a woman.  You can book that.  Ivanka, Nikki, and now Elise are probably the top contenders.

Elise would be fine with that.  She's still young.  She's not in a hurry like Hawley or Cruz to jump to the top of the ticket.

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Thread title needs more snark 

To paraphrase a line from that video above:

"Elise Stefanik: If MTG or Lauren Boebert Went to Harvard"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

NY dems should redraw districts so that she loses her district.

So you don't mind rule breaking or gamesmanship as longest as it's just your party ? You're either kidding or you're part of the problem 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

She wants the job, only until the new Congress. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/politics/elise-stefanik-gop-leadership/index.html

CNN)Rep. Elise Stefanik, who's poised to replace Rep. Liz Cheney as the No. 3 House Republican, has signaled to some of her colleagues that she plans to stay in leadership and as chair of the House GOP Conference for just this Congress, wanting to pursue the top GOP job on the House Education and Labor Committee next Congress, according to a source with direct knowledge of the talks

Until it’s illegal, HYFR we gonna do it. SCOTUS said it’s a legislative thing. If Congress can’t get it done, we’ll play the fucking game until they do. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So you don't mind rule breaking or gamesmanship as longest as it's just your party ? You're either kidding or you're part of the problem 

Hey, Onboard, Mitch McConnell asked me to tell you to give him a call.

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Hey, Onboard, Mitch McConnell asked me to tell you to give him a call.

Yeh I know, your democrat super heroes are as pure, and honest, and forthright as the driven snow. Go peddle that BS to the tourists.  The trouble with y'all is you actually believe that shit.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeh I know, your democrat super heroes are as pure, and honest, and forthright as the driven snow. Go peddle that BS to the tourists.  The trouble with y'all is you actually believe that shit.

So you’re cool with the “gamesmanship and rule breaking” republicans have done in about 10 states when they started this shit? Please directly answer Yes or No and not with some obfuscating side step bullshit. 

Personally, just like wishing Texas would play the recruiting bag game in football, I’m fine with Dems playing this game. Make it absurd, and then say “listen, we’ll happy have everything redrawn with non partisan groups in charge, it’s right there in the verbiage of HR-1. Let’s go ahead and vote on it.”

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

So you’re cool with the “gamesmanship and rule breaking” republicans have done in about 10 states when they started this shit? Please directly answer Yes or No and not with some obfuscating side step bullshit. 

Personally, just like wishing Texas would play the recruiting bag game in football, I’m fine with Dems playing this game. Make it absurd, and then say “listen, we’ll happy have everything redrawn with non partisan groups in charge, it’s right there in the verbiage of HR-1. Let’s go ahead and vote on it.”

I'm not fine with anyone pulling shit that hurts others, disenfranchises votes, whatever. The difference is I don't have any illusions that it's only republicans pulling shit, and there are those here who can't fathom democrats ever playing games or fucking with the rules.  The utter naive, childishness of that bottles the mind.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not fine with anyone pulling shit that hurts others, disenfranchises votes, whatever. The difference is I don't have any illusions that it's only republicans pulling shit, and there are those here who can't fathom democrats ever playing games or fucking with the rules.  The utter naive, childishness of that bottles the mind.

Which Democrats are doing what?  Time to cite some sources. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I actually agree with you on the first sentence. But I don’t get the rest given that most of the posts on this thread are actually calling for them to play games etc. I’m not sure who you’re arguing with.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Seeing as how you literally got upset because someone suggested that the Dems should play games with redistricting, how about if you name the posters "here who can't fathom democrats ever playing games or fucking with the rules?"

Put up or shut up.

23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Seeing as how you literally got upset because someone suggested that the Dems should play games with redistricting, how about if you name the posters "here who can't fathom democrats ever playing games or fucking with the rules?"

Put up or shut up.

I'm not gonna go back, and research democrat or republican games with gerrymandering, political machine shit (SEE: Chicago, et al). If you think the democrats are above political tricks, and outright illegal activities there's no need talking to you further about this. 

I've followed politics my entire life, and seen it come from both sides of the aisles. It stepped up with the election cycle of the Clintons.  Nixon was horrible as a person, and engaged in some really horribly wrong behind the scenes shit.  If you can't be honest and acknowledge it's an issue for the entire system you're head is in the sand or you just drink the Kool aid with gleeful ignorance.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So obviously he should be quoted and replied to and get treated like someone whose opinion means a fuck.

FEED THE TROLL!

The whole line of democrats are good, and republicans are bad is a fucking troll topic.

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The whole line of democrats are good, and republicans are bad is a fucking troll topic.

Well, after the last 20 years,  I'd say it's kinda true. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not gonna go back, and research democrat or republican games with gerrymandering, political machine shit (SEE: Chicago, et al). If you think the democrats are above political tricks, and outright illegal activities there's no need talking to you further about this. 

I've followed politics my entire life, and seen it come from both sides of the aisles. It stepped up with the election cycle of the Clintons.  Nixon was horrible as a person, and engaged in some really horribly wrong behind the scenes shit.  If you can't be honest and acknowledge it's an issue for the entire system you're head is in the sand or you just drink the Kool aid with gleeful ignorance.

Again, I’m puzzled because you’re arguing against literally the opposite of what he said. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You are the new Slorch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1