Texas @ TCU Series Thread

Horny Bull

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and thats why you put Nixon in to start the inning.  Pierce owes both Witt and Nixon a nice steak dinner.

I had no issue with the way Pierce used the pen tonight. 

1) Pierce brought Gordon in the 7th against B2B lefties. The way Gordon has pitched recently and particularly against lefty/lefty match ups it was the right move. 

2) I had no issue with Pierce sticking with Witt. Even the broadcasters argued that they needed to stick with Witt based on how he was pitching. Based on the shitty strike zone you're running the risk of the next pitcher not finding the zone.  

• Like 2

What a fucking battle by this team. 13 hits, clutch hitting, clutch defense and clutch pitching - some all around damn good baseball these guys just played. So fucking proud of what this team displayed tonight! Fuck the roaches and take the series tomorrow! Hook’em🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I had no issue with the way Pierce used the pen tonight. 

1) Pierce brought Gordon in the 7th against B2B lefties. The way Gordon has pitched recently and particularly against lefty/lefty match ups it was the right move. 

2) I had no issue with Pierce sticking with Witt. Even the broadcasters argued that they needed to stick with Witt based on how he was pitching. Based on the shitty strike zone you're running the risk of the next pitcher not finding the zone.  

You can start Gordon against the lefties, but it was clear early he had no movement.

Witt at most gets a batter, after that everyone has seen him. 

Luckily it didn’t cost us but it was mismanaged. He got away leaving Ty, Gordon and Witt a batter too long. We won’t get that lucky again.

9 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

You can start Gordon against the lefties, but it was clear early he had no movement.

Luckily it didn’t cost us but it was mismanaged. He got away leaving Ty, Gordon and Witt a batter too long. We won’t get that lucky again.

I can agree that Pierce stuck with Madden too long. Completely disagree with all the other stuff.

It was the right situational move to bring Gordon in against B2B lefties in the top of the 7th based on how Gordon has looked all year against lefties. It didn't work but it was the right situational move based on the left handed hitters to start the inning. 

Like I said, I had no issue sticking with Witt either. He had insane stuff the previous 2 innings and that's why the broadcasters even argued Texas needed to stick with him. One of my biggest pet peeves in college baseball is pulling an arm that's dealing. That was Witt tonight before the 9th. Sometimes the results don't work out but I don't think it was egregious to keep Witt in the game. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I can agree that Pierce stuck with Madden too long. Completely disagree with all the other stuff.

It was the right situational move to bring Gordon in against B2B lefties in the top of the 7th based on how Gordon has looked all year against lefties. It didn't work but it was the right situational move based on the left handed hitters to start the inning. 

Like I said, I had no issue sticking with Witt either. He had insane stuff the previous 2 innings and that's why the broadcasters even argued Texas needed to stick with him. 

I think Witt, especially, succumbed to the pressure, overthrowing.  Probably Gordon a bit, also.

Nixon, however, was nails.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Good to see. Frustrating that we still had the cardboard cutouts up last weekend, but the people that would have otherwise filled those seats aren’t much louder. 

Home is Austin.... might as well be liberal California

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 11

God damn this team is awesome. No quit or pouting or anything. When they fuck up, they pick their heads up and make up for it. When we give up a run or 2, we almost always respond. We got a legit weekend rotation, a good enough bullpen, a solid ass defense and finally an actual lineup (minus Kennedy but surely he can get out of this funk, right?). Can’t wait to watch this team in the Austin regional 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I agree. Pierce seems to do this more than he should. For example, the maturity the freshmen have shown over the course of the season is extremely impressive. But he still needs to do a better job of balancing their limits with their talent. I feel like he struggles with pulling the trigger on certain guys because of the success they’ve show but again they’re still only freshman going up against some good ball clubs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think Witt, especially, succumbed to the pressure, overthrowing.  Probably Gordon a bit, also.

Witt got ahead 1-2, I believe, on the first two hitters in the 9th. 

They tried to get the hitter to chase instead of just attacking him. Harder to throw good pitches when you get in 2-2/3-2 counts with pressure. 

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Witt didn't succumb to the pressure.. He threw 40 pitches and recorded 6 crucial outs on the road in a hostile environment. Throwing 40 pitches under as much stress as he did tonight would be like throwing 65 stress free on a Tuesday night against Texas Southern.

The leadoff batter in the 9th walked after being down 1-2 and you could tell Witt lost command of his breaking ball that AB. Next batter he got 0-2, then 2-2, then singled to right on a fastball. Wasn't like they smoked him. 

Then Aaron picked him up and we are on to tomorrow looking to take the series.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DoneWithit said:

I agree. Pierce seems to do this more than he should. For example, the maturity the freshmen have shown over the course of the season is extremely impressive. But he still needs to do a better job of balancing their limits with their talent. I feel like he struggles with pulling the trigger on certain guys because of the success they’ve show but again they’re still only freshman going up against some good ball clubs. 

The only real complaint I have is we should’ve brought in Witt when we brought in Gordon. Should Nixon have started the 9th? Maybe. But I get sticking with Witt there after the last inning. Fuck it whatever. Let’s stomp on the roaches again tomorrow 

Just now, chase25 said:

Witt didn't succumb to the pressure.. He threw 40 pitches and recorded 6 crucial outs on the road in a hostile environment. Throwing 40 pitches in the under as much stress as he did tonight would be like throwing 65 on a Tuesday night against Texas Southern.

The leadoff batter in the 9th walked after being down 1-2 and you could tell Witt lost command of his breaking ball that AB. Next batter he got 0-2, then 2-2, then singled to right on a fastball. Wasn't like they smoked him. 

Then Aaron picked him up and we are on to tomorrow looking to take the series.

The pitch selection wasn't great in the 9th once Witt got ahead. TCU was behind on the fastball all night. 

Just keep pounding the zone with the fastball until they can hit it. 

Witt got ahead and then they tried to get TCU to chase. 2-2 and 3-2 counts in those situations lead to bad results. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Witt got ahead 1-2, I believe, on the first two hitters in the 9th. 

They tried to get the hitter to chase instead of just attacking him. Harder to throw good pitches when you get in 2-2/3-2 counts with pressure. 

I think when Witt started over throwing his off speed to the point where it was effecting his grip should have been a sign to Pierce. Witt was trying to hard, he had 1-2 count but still lost them. That’s another major sign to get your pitcher, a freshmen, off the mound after the first hitter and get in another arm. Which was ironically a freshman as well but hadn’t throw 40.+ pitches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Good to see. Frustrating that we still had the cardboard cutouts up last weekend, but the people that would have otherwise filled those seats aren’t much louder. 

What the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever been to the Disch before? It's the one venue, save possibly Gregory, where our fans and their volume/ participation are not an issue. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The only real complaint I have is we should’ve brought in Witt when we brought in Gordon. Should Nixon have started the 9th? Maybe. But I get sticking with Witt there after the last inning. Fuck it whatever. Let’s stomp on the roaches again tomorrow 

Yeah I’m not against taking Witt out after the 8th, he had every right to go back in the 9th. But after walking the first batter and not pulling him then is where I disagree with Pierce. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think when Witt started over throwing his off speed to the point where it was effecting his grip should have been a sign to Pierce. Witt was trying to hard, he had 1-2 count but still lost them. That’s another major sign to get your pitcher, a freshmen, off the mound after the first hitter and get in another arm. Which was ironically a freshman as well but hadn’t throw 40.+ pitches. 

I need to go back and look but the first hitter in the 9th I'm pretty sure they were trying to get the hitter to chase up with the fastball once Witt was ahead. 

I don't think his command of the off speed was great in the 9th but seems to me the pitch selection was the biggest issue. Just keep pounding the zone with strikes when you get ahead 1-2 and 0-2. 

They had one good swing on Witt's fastball all night and it was that 2-2 pitch in the 9th in a desirable hitting situation because they tried to get the TCU hitter to chase. 

4 minutes ago, TornACL said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever been to the Disch before? It's the one venue, save possibly Gregory, where our fans and their volume/ participation are not an issue. 

Posters like this show up in May to talk shit when they haven't been here all season. Never fails. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah, that's what I meant by succumbing to the pressure.  He was great in the prior inning, doing what he does.  

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I need to go back and look but the first hitter in the 9th I'm pretty sure they were trying to get the hitter to chase up with the fastball once Witt was ahead. 

I don't think his command of the off speed was great in the 9th but seems to me the pitch selection was the biggest issue. Just keep pounding the zone with strikes when you get ahead 1-2 and 0-2. 

They had one good swing on Witt's fastball all night and it was that 2-2 pitch in the 9th in a desirable hitting situation because they tried to get the TCU hitter to chase. 

I’m not saying this is certain but I’m pretty sure the second batter was where we were trying to get them to chase up and away. This could be for a number reasons, more than likely trying to get the hitter to chase while combining it with a good pitch out in case of an attempted steal. Witt also was facing the 2 and 3 hitter in the lineup so pounding the zone could be asking a lot for a freshman in that situation. It only takes one pitch and Pierce was probably trying to avoid that when he got into favorable counts. It’s a tough tho because Witt had thrown a good deal of pitches, was rolling and the go to thought is keep pounding the zone but it gets more risky after each pitch he throws in the zone. 

Just now, DoneWithit said:

I’m not saying this is certain but I’m pretty sure the second batter was where we were trying to get them to chase up and away. This could be for a number reasons, more than likely trying to get the hitter to chase while combining it with a good pitch out in case of an attempted steal. Witt also was facing the 2 and 3 hitter in the lineup so pounding the zone could be asking a lot for a freshman in that situation. It only takes one pitch and Pierce was probably trying to avoid that when he got into favorable counts. It’s a tough tho because Witt had thrown a good deal of pitches, was rolling and the go to thought is keep pounding the zone but it gets more risky after each pitch he throws in the zone. 

Maybe but if you're going to stick with Witt there you have to trust him to get outs with his best stuff. 

Until TCU could hit Witt's fastball I think you pound the zone with it. Especially with that ump calling balls right down the middle of the plate all night. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Maybe but if you're going to stick with Witt there you have to trust him to get outs with his best stuff. 

Until TCU could hit Witt's fastball I think you pound the zone with it. Especially with that ump calling balls right down the middle of the plate all night. 

Indeed and the ump is another factor that I a may not be putting enough thought into. I guess I felt that the risk was to great leaving him in there after the first batter. Anyway, he had a helluva showing in the 7th and 8th which is huge for his overall growth. 

Indeed and the ump is another factor that I a may not be putting enough thought into. I guess I felt that the risk was to great leaving him in there after the first batter. Anyway, he had a helluva showing in the 7th and 8th which is huge for his overall growth. 

I think the ump definitely played a role in sticking with Witt. 

When you throw 3 FR arms in a row the likelihood all 3 of those guys are going to find the zone is low with that ump. Witt was pounding the zone the previous 2 innings. Luckily, Nixon was finding the zone and TCU hitters were swinging at sliders that ump was calling a ball all night. 

I thought we were definitely losing this once Madden came out just based on the fact one of those young arms would go complete disaster mode with that ump.

8 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I honestly haven't seen that much horns down in any UT game in any sport in years. And most of what I saw was when we were winning. Know your fucking place, cockroaches. 

As a Fort Worth resident I feel I am a pretty good authority to report that TCU twerps live to annoy. If you single one out and pull their card, they'll tell you that you better watch out because their dad has a good lawyer. 

In short, they're all giant pussies. Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Lots of Ins and Outs and what-have-you’s but that was a hostile environment against one of the best teams in the country with a lot on the line. That’s how you, Texas Fight! 

Offense and Defense was great and clutch when it had to be. 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Is it time to admit that Antico is a better player than we gave him credit for?

He has been solid all year, just struggled to hit early in the year which is understandable making the jump from St.Johns to Texas and having to figure it out right away.

Has led the Big 12 in steals from the start of the season pretty much.

His OBP has hovered around or above .400 despite hitting under.250 the whole year and is also the only guy on the team with more walks than strikeouts (42/28).

Hitting .279 in conference play.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I honestly haven't seen that much horns down in any UT game in any sport in years. And most of what I saw was when we were winning. Know your fucking place, cockroaches. 

That was pretty bizarre. Though maybe the 2 games at Arkansas in 2018 but Jesus Christ. The way they were acting, you’d think they took a 9-1 lead in the 4th and coasted to a 12-2 win. Let’s sweep these obnoxious pieces of shit then leave em behind with Baylor once conference realignment cokes back around 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The pitch selection wasn't great in the 9th once Witt got ahead. TCU was behind on the fastball all night. 

Just keep pounding the zone with the fastball until they can hit it. 

Witt got ahead and then they tried to get TCU to chase. 2-2 and 3-2 counts in those situations lead to bad results. 

Witt did a great job mixing his pitches, starting many guys with curves and even showing a change to lefties... You just attack that lineup with fastballs and you're giving up homers and losing the game. 

7 hours ago, B00M said:

Great game. We better ditch our fucking cardboard cutouts immediately so our players can get used to a home field advantage before the regionals. 

Yup.

It's time for UT to quit with the bullshit.

Open it back up and get on with it.