Texas @ TCU Series Thread

Horny Bull

7 hours ago, TornACL said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever been to the Disch before? It's the one venue, save possibly Gregory, where our fans and their volume/ participation are not an issue. 

I know it hurts, but this just isn’t true. The best regular season crowd in recent memory was 2018 TCU and it couldn’t touch last night’s atmosphere with a 10 foot pole. The majority of people that make noise don’t even enter the park. 

8 hours ago, B00M said:

Great game. We better ditch our fucking cardboard cutouts immediately so our players can get used to a home field advantage before the regionals. 

Maybe we can rent some really obnoxious assholes to come to the game and spew their venom!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I know it hurts, but this just isn’t true. The best regular season crowd in recent memory was 2018 TCU and it couldn’t touch last night’s atmosphere with a 10 foot pole. The majority of people that make noise don’t even enter the park. 

Winning cures all. The Disch, vs LSU was fucking loud and rowdy. When Texas is winning/playing well the fans come and get loud. People fall asleep in the Erwin Center and the football games is well documented. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Winning cures all. The Disch, vs LSU was fucking loud and rowdy. When Texas is winning/playing well the fans come and get loud. People fall asleep in the Erwin Center and the football games is well documented. 

Lol I’d cleared my brain of all things 2019. That was a great weekend, but the cold weather kept too many people away for it to be a top tier crowd. 

8 hours ago, B00M said:

Great game. We better ditch our fucking cardboard cutouts immediately so our players can get used to a home field advantage before the regionals. 

I agree, except I want them to keep the possum cut out behind home plate.  That cracks me up every time I see it.

• Haha 1

Yup.
It's time for UT to quit with the bullshit.
Open it back up and get on with it.

Our TV announcers are still wearing masks while calling the game. Have you seen that anywhere else? Any sport at any level?
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's not hard to single handedly make a big impact on the crowd noise at the disch without being an autistic David ash. Show up and help lead your section. Most people want to make noise.

10 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Our TV announcers are still wearing masks while calling the game. Have you seen that anywhere else? Any sport at any level?

The volleyball final 4 like 2 weeks ago? But yeah it's laughable, you know they're both vaccinated lol

55 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Your last statement is asinine. 

TCU has a good home crowd. Texas has a good home crowd. Both can absolutely influence the play on the field, which is what you want from your home baseball fans. 

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Bullshit.  When the team is good and we have something to play for, the crowd at The Disch is good.

50 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I agree, except I want them to keep the possum cut out behind home plate.  That cracks me up every time I see it.

Yes!  The possum needs to be a permanent fixture at The Disch.  A reminder of this crazy year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, the Disch is typically pretty rowdy.

Besides Covid, I'm going to guess that a couple of things have happened that might make it less rowdy in the past.  First, we haven't been that good, and in those times when we have showed, we've been away.  Second, I think the Wild Bunch is aging out or dying off and there's been some fan turnover.

9 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

When it looked like they were keeping Witt out there for the 3rd batter, I said out loud "we just lost this game". Glad Pierce heard me 300 miles away. 

It could have be be me yelling it 2500 miles away.....

11 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

You can start Gordon against the lefties, but it was clear early he had no movement.

Witt at most gets a batter, after that everyone has seen him. 

Luckily it didn’t cost us but it was mismanaged. He got away leaving Ty, Gordon and Witt a batter too long. We won’t get that lucky again.

exactly.  you have to understand the moment and it was obvious on TV Gordon wasn't ready.  he also let Gordon pitch against a righty.  Witt and Nixon while freshmen had been in big moments this season.

Witt was overthrowing a bit and high in the zone(the catcher even had to motion to settle down).  sometimes when guys get jacked up they also tire faster.

my biggest thing though was Nixon in the 9th.  you have to get 3 outs to win.  who has the best shot of doing that?  Witt on his 3rd inning or Nixon?

it worked so all good but I bet even he would admit he made a couple of mistakes.

Starting pitcher today for TCU was a teammate of my son’s in JUCO. They’re still good friends and hang out from time to time here in FW. Great kid. He just came over to visit us a few weeks ago. This will be a tough one today. I hope he pitches well but the Horns get the W. So awkward. 

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Starting pitcher today for TCU was a teammate of my son’s in JUCO. They’re still good friends and hang out from time to time here in FW. Great kid. He just came over to visit us a few weeks ago. This will be a tough one today. I hope he pitches well today but the Horns get the W. So awkward. 

Text him and say you are sorry to hear that his family dog died. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

exactly.  you have to understand the moment and it was obvious on TV Gordon wasn't ready.  he also let Gordon pitch against a righty.  Witt and Nixon while freshmen had been in big moments this season.
Witt was overthrowing a bit and high in the zone(the catcher even had to motion to settle down).  sometimes when guys get jacked up they also tire faster.
my biggest thing though was Nixon in the 9th.  you have to get 3 outs to win.  who has the best shot of doing that?  Witt on his 3rd inning or Nixon?
it worked so all good but I bet even he would admit he made a couple of mistakes.

Hold on here. The first hitter against Gordon bunted on pitch 2. The defense didn’t handle it well. He had perhaps their best hitter down 0-2 and a subsequent pitch hit Ardoins glove but was called a ball. He was pulled on the 3rd hitter, the righty. It didn’t work out, but I’m not certain what signs there that he wasn’t ready.

Gordon was a reasonable choice given the circumstances. It didn’t work as hoped. My guess is he does not regret this choice. Next time he’ll probably go Nixon, but last night sticking with Witt was reasonable and in part May be because he’d hit the point of needing an off day this weekend. My guess is Witt will be getting an off day today. The Witt move to start the 9th was a flow of the game selection.

Antico and Hodos plays were nice, but otherwise our defense was below average. Gave up the first run. TCUs triple easily could have been an out. Hodo didn’t bust it to backup then had a poor throw followed by a poor throw to third. Zubia mishandled a ground ball that could have potentially been 2 or at least get the lead runner. Our two wild pitches should have been blocked.

We left way too many runners on base. Bases loaded twice, right? Hodo didn’t come hard out of the box on his double play. Melendez and Williams had terrible at bats in top 1.

All that said, we beat a top 5 team on the road not playing our best. That’s a major positive.
  • Hook 'Em 2