Eyes

jw4381

So I have no fucking clue how this happened. Thursday afternoon started seeing a shadow in my peripheral vision.

Wife starts doing some research says this is an emergency. Go in to the eye doctor immediately set up in an emergency appointment in Santa Fe. Guy down there says if you don’t get something done in three days you’ll be blind.

Holy shit I say. Gnarly ass procedure with a hellacious five hours afterwards. Got a bubble in my eye to keep the retina in place now got a hold my head tilted it’s all fucked up.

Edited by jw4381
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WBT said:

A lot?  You know you're supposed to wear a hood right?

Ha, back when I first started working as a welder, it wasn't necessary to have a face guard when grinding. Now everyone does, and I'm grateful for it. Just only had the safety glasses.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Ha, back when I first started working as a welder, it wasn't necessary to have a face guard when grinding. Now everyone does, and I'm grateful for it. Just only had the safety glasses.

Just giving you a hard time.  My dad used to grind in flip flops.  Probably not the smartest thing he did.

My mom had it, I've also met numerous people who've had them detached. My mom's eye was pretty messed up afterward. I had one patient who detached multiple times and he lost vision totally in that eye. Diabetes and high myopia are risk factors. Age is too.

If you see shadows or a flood of new floaters, it is an emergency. You don't have to lose much vision if you get it taken care of.

• Hook 'Em 3

Early last year the Ophthalmologist said I had some material growing over my retina - piled on top of that little indented spot over the optic nerve area. It was distorting my vision quite a bit by making most things such as straight lines appear wobbly or wavy. A month after cataract surgeries on both eyes, he went in and ripped out that growth which he said was like a membrane of some sort.

The pictures showing the cross section result looked like the mud stirred up on the bottom of a pond. A few months later it had settled back a bit, but has not regained the normal shape. Vision is still distorted some and things are still a little wavy, but supposedly it will not get worse.

The air bubble he pumped in my eye was really weird, looking like I was halfway under water all the time. The level line slowly went down until it went away about a month later.

The cataract surgery was pretty successful and my right eye is far sighted at 20/20. Plus everything is a lot brighter. I do have to continue using readers for up close stuff because I chose the cheap lens replacement.

6201CEB8-AE64-4302-B3E5-8995EDCFC631.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...

I didn't search for this topic until the surgery was done but I had my retina detach out of nowhere 2 weeks ago and had the surgery last Tuesday.  Most stressful week of my life wondering if I'd have vision in my left eye ever again but everything went well and my vision should improve for the next month or so. If any of y'all start seeing random floaters or bright lights get your ass to a retina doc.