Are all Restaurants Understaffed now (2021)?

hornian

Where are the restaurant workers?

So if restaurant workers aren't looking for restaurant work, where are they going?
Some have left the industry altogether.

Jessica Vines, 45, left her job as a server at Mexican restaurant El Pavo Real in New Orleans last year.

While she had held jobs in human resources and accounting in the past, her passion was hospitality, she said. About six years ago, following her son's high school graduation, she moved to the city from Indianapolis to work in the industry.

When the pandemic hit last year, her busy schedule — which included a separate bartending gig — dwindled, and her wages took a hit. She was working just five hours a day at the restaurant, which was only preparing takeout orders.

Vines decided in August to head back to Indianapolis, where her son still lives. She was able to find a job as an accounting associate at a medical device company,
"I just didn't see an end in sight," she said. "I knew I couldn't do it for another year."

Vines had become close with the El Pavo team, and leaving them was difficult. "Those are the people I keep in touch with the most," she said. "Those are still the people I talk to every single week."

Lindsay McLellan, who along with her husband owns El Pavo Real, described Vines as not just an employee but a friend. "We're very sad to have her leave, but I get it, I really do," she said.

Even though she misses the camaraderie of restaurants, she's not sure she'll ever work in a restaurant or bar again. The last year has made her wary of a future in the hospitality industry.

"If this happened again, I would be at the same place," she said. "I don't foresee ... a safety net for people like me."

Last year, a Glassdoor analysis looked at a group of over 120,000 job seekers who were actively searching for "restaurant server" positions on its site in January and February. It then tracked those users' job searches in April and the first half of May. Glassdoor found that within that cohort, searches for "data entry" jobs jumped about 400% during that period compared to the year before. Searches for "remote" positions jumped roughly 300%, and searches for Amazon — which Glassdoor sees as a catch-all for warehouse, delivery and other jobs — rose about 600%.

The analysis didn't track whether those people ended up in new jobs but Chamberlain said that, statistically, it's likely at least some fraction did.

"They might be reluctant to leave those new sectors and move back over into restaurants because of the turmoil over the past year," he said.

Some young restaurant workers have likely gone back to school, he said, and left the labor market completely. School enrollment tends to surge during recessions, he explained. And, of course, many people may be afraid of going back to restaurant jobs while the pandemic is still going on, or may be unable to return to work because of child care or other responsibilities that have become more acute during the pandemic.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/business/restaurant-labor-shortage/index.html

pretty decent article. when your pay completely disappears without warning, along with other factors, it's hard to want to go back to that industry. if i get laid off, it's likely i get about a year of severance. if a waitperson gets laid off, they get nothing. 

i'm telling yall, it's not fun being on unemployment. it's a job, and texas is not friendly to out of work people. add in that the twc was overwhelmed by the massive spike in unemployment, people are trying to find work. just not back in the restaurant business. why go back to fight karen not wearing her mask in the waiting area or refusing a temperature check to get a shitty tip from that table?

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Bastrop, New Braunfels, Fort Worth, Katy, Go fuck yourself...

There's a labor shortage in many locations that laid workers off. Restaurants aren't entitled to an endless supply of chipper, hard working 25 year olds, not when there's better jobs out there.

Jesus, dusting off your Manifesto?  Power to the fucking proletariat.....

As stated over and over on this thread, many people love working in the service industry.  Cash in your pocket.  Flex shifts.  Zero work concerns after your shift ends.  You act like these are indentured servants.  Guessing you've never bussed or waited a table in your life?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Jesus, dusting off your Manifesto?  Power to the fucking proletariat.....

As stated over and over on this thread, many people love working in the service industry.  Cash in your pocket.  Flex shifts.  Zero work concerns after your shift ends.  You act like these are indentured servants.  Guessing you've never bussed or waited a table in your life?

You seem to have a difficult time with reading and comprehension. Just a few posts above I discussed my serving/bar tending experience. And acting like anyone is an "indentured servant"? The only explanation I can come up with for your take is that you're delusional.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We all knew restaurants run on razor-thin margins.  Always have.  So now all the private shops are done, leaving nothing but chain shops.  Is this what we want?  Is this the outcome everyone is happy with?  Giant corporate chains that absolutely loved this pandemic as it utterly decimated smaller, privately owned business competition?  A little more than a "reset".

I get the "consolidation and inequality" argument, but this is a massive and mandated shift in market share.  Had this done the opposite, and decimated massive corporate organizations, you have to wonder if their leverage, money, and influence driven a different chain of behavioral events?  

i'm going to skate close to a political line here, but since you point out the workers that you think are sitting at home collecting government money rather than going out an working, i think my point is fair. how many of these corporate chains took money from the ppp while small businesses were left to languish? sure ruth's chris and shake shack  returned theirs, but there were several more that did not. 

i do agree with you that we should be taking better care of mom and pop shops. i'm not sure how to do so without discussing politics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

You seem to have a difficult time with reading and comprehension. Just a few posts above I discussed my serving/bar tending experience. And acting like anyone is an "indentured servant"? The only explanation I can come up with for your take is that you're delusional.

Never said they were, JFC.  Read better.  You are acting like these restaurant jobs are akin to working the coal mines and just chew through workers like fodder.  Again, many, many people love the gig and make good money to the tune of hundreds of dollars cash over the course of a good shift.  Many have moved on.  Many others have returned, and many are still on the dole and working cash-only side hustles.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Anyone who looks at this problem and has the conclusion that “unemployment benefits are too high” rather than “labor is underpaid and the pandemic forced businesses to rethink their business model" is thinking like a fucking moron 

adding that for you

The traditional business model took a hit and people saw a year of alternatives and didn't seem to mind it. 

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We all knew restaurants run on razor-thin margins.  Always have.  So now all the private shops are done, leaving nothing but chain shops.  Is this what we want?  Is this the outcome everyone is happy with?  Giant corporate chains that absolutely loved this pandemic as it utterly decimated smaller, privately owned business competition?  A little more than a "reset".

I get the "consolidation and inequality" argument, but this is a massive and mandated shift in market share.  Had this done the opposite, and decimated massive corporate organizations, you have to wonder if their leverage, money, and influence driven a different chain of behavioral events?  

Funny thing about the restaurant industry is those same chain restaurants are the ones with problematic customers.  They have a unrealistically low ceiling with how much they want to pay.  $15 per person is about it.  (I'm talking the Brinker and Darden restaurants of the world.)  Sure, they can try to bump that to $20 but Karen and Kevin are on a budget.  $15 for endless pasta but $20 is too much, damnit.  Every chain that has tried to raise prices the past few years have gotten their shit pushed in.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm going to skate close to a political line here, but since you point out the workers that you think are sitting at home collecting government money rather than going out an working, i think my point is fair. how many of these corporate chains took money from the ppp while small businesses were left to languish? sure ruth's chris and shake shack  returned theirs, but there were several more that did not. 

i do agree with you that we should be taking better care of mom and pop shops. i'm not sure how to do so without discussing politics. 

Means testing relative to corporate vs private entities are not the same playing field.  That might be a start and should nor be partisan.  Identify differences and facilitate an easier process for private maybe?  It's tough.  Or take the opposite approach and lower their expenses?

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Funny thing about the restaurant industry is those same chain restaurants are the ones with problematic customers.  They have a unrealistically low ceiling with how much they want to pay.  $15 per person is about it.  (I'm talking the Brinker and Darden restaurants of the world.)  Sure, they can try to bump that to $20 but Karen and Kevin are on a budget.  $15 for endless pasta but $20 is too much, damnit.  Every chain that has tried to raise prices the past few years have gotten their shit pushed in.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yep.  The price elasticity argument is a tough nut to crack, so many are looking at margin management to lower costs (hence the initial consolidations in the first place and franchising)

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

adding that for you

The traditional business model took a hit and people saw a year of alternatives and didn't seem to mind it. 

Some businesses have seen the UE + stimulus monies equate to more than $23/hr.  To think this doesn't have an effect on workers collecting these benefits and making less than this hourly wage is not being realistic.  You can have the macro conversation about MW, but unless you are talking about maintaining these endless checks until the market wages equal the govt checks, you are going to have a facet of the labor market with the disincentive to work.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

based on any time i drive down (or sit in standstill traffic on) mlk between about 10am and 8pm these days, i am pretty sure chickfila could triple their prices and just keep on fucking cruising.  good christ almighty.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Bastrop, New Braunfels, Fort Worth, Katy, Go fuck yourself...

There's a labor shortage in many locations that laid workers off. Restaurants aren't entitled to an endless supply of chipper, hard working 25 year olds, not when there's better jobs out there.

Why are those better jobs having the same problems hiring rt now?

11 minutes ago, sidis said:

based on any time i drive down (or sit in standstill traffic on) mlk between about 10am and 8pm these days, i am pretty sure chickfila could triple their prices and just keep on fucking cruising.  good christ almighty.

Their model is rock solid and their efficiency hard to mirror.  Heard a rumor one of the architects of their drive-through efficiency was brought in to Texas Motor speedway to help with their vax lines.  

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Only eat local, skip the corporate owned chains. We’ve seen a number of our local owned places thrive through this as people have done everything they can to support them. I can’t remember the last time we ate somewhere in the City we live that we don’t know the owner. It’s been years, not months.

CNN article on what’s going on. Again, there are a bunch of factors. It can’t be pinned on one issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/11/economy/unemployment-benefits-work-incentive/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Anyone who looks at this problem and has the conclusion that “unemployment benefits are too high” rather than “labor is underpaid” is thinking like a fucking moron 

Bullshit.  Unemployment benefits are an outside factor that is severely inhibiting the prevailing market.  Sure the market has to adjust, and we're experiencing that.

I mean, why don't wages magically increase?  Should just mandate it from DC and the folks who work these low skill jobs will catch up to everyone else, just like that, right?

12 minutes ago, Brew said:

Only eat local, skip the corporate owned chains.

This.  I remember who stayed open.  I remember who stuck it out for their employees.  These places stayed staffed too.

I feel a sense of community in doing business there, whether that is real or not, I still feel it.

Timing of this is perfect.  I work in staffing.  Those of you that don't think UE is a factor are out of touch at this price point.  Severely I would say.  This has been going on the entire time.

EMAIL FROM CLIENT 5 MIN AGO

Here’s your laugh (or really CONCERN)  for the day.  I asked XXXXX “You were laid off in March 2020 – over a year ago.  With the job market is so attractive right now, why haven’t you been able to find a job?”

Pretty fair question huh!

His answer.   “Unemployment pays him $20/hour, so he would rather not work to get the $20/hour instead of work for a few dollars more.”

This is for a drafter we are looking to pay $27/hr.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Whataburger's drive-through efficiency architect is still patiently waiting for his phone to ring.

It's so bad.  Haven't been to the one in Frisco off 423 in ages because of this very reason.  Long waits just to have them screw up your order.  Meh, I've got a freezer full of venison and axis patties that I can grill in a shorter amount of time and they're damn sure better for you and taste better

28 minutes ago, huge said:

Timing of this is perfect.  I work in staffing.  Those of you that don't think UE is a factor are out of touch at this price point.  Severely I would say.  This has been going on the entire time.

Here’s your laugh (or really CONCERN)  for the day.  I asked XXXXX “You were laid off in March 2020 – over a year ago.  With the job market is so attractive right now, why haven’t you been able to find a job?”

His answer.   “Unemployment pays him $20/hour, so he would rather not work to get the $20/hour instead of work for a few dollars more.”

Incentives matter.....

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Only eat local, skip the corporate owned chains. We’ve seen a number of our local owned places thrive through this as people have done everything they can to support them. I can’t remember the last time we ate somewhere in the City we live that we don’t know the owner. It’s been years, not months.

CNN article on what’s going on. Again, there are a bunch of factors. It can’t be pinned on one issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/11/economy/unemployment-benefits-work-incentive/index.html

Same.  Even go so far as you get down to the ingredient level when I can.  Local farmers market.  Fantastic Mexican meat market near the house.  Hunting game (whitetail/axis) for almost all our "red" meat + a freezer full of duck breasts.  

*except those god damn McDonalds Oreo Mcflurrys.  Those are god damn delicious and I swear have crack in them.....

1 hour ago, huge said:

You know, if someone is side hustling for cash and not reporting it to the IRS, I can't blame them.  It's a rare chance to build some savings.  

If they're just so unmotivated to go from $20/hr to $27/hr because it requires them to actually work 5 days a week, then they're kind of unreachable, and in the end, this will come back to bite them.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

You know, if someone is side hustling for cash and not reporting it to the IRS, I can't blame them.  It's a rare chance to build some savings.  

If they're just so unmotivated to go from $20/hr to $27/hr because it requires them to actually work 5 days a week, then they're kind of unreachable, and in the end, this will come back to bite them.

Of course it will.  But forward looking people with a plan aren't what we are talking about here.  The point is that in my specific experience a LARGE PERCENTAGE of people that make $25/hr or less would rather stay at home for "similar" pay.  At least the people that my staffing company in Houston has contacted for lower paying roles in the last 12+ months.  Not everyone.  And surely not anyone that would ever deign to post on this site.

Just giving my perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Why are those better jobs having the same problems hiring rt now?

I don't know but it's interesting that the people whining the most are restaurant managers.

fwiw A lot of women have apparently left the workforce as finding daycare has been apparently especially difficult during the pandemic.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/u-s-job-openings-reached-highest-number-on-record-in-march-labor-department/

50 minutes ago, huge said:

Of course it will.  But forward looking people with a plan aren't what we are talking about here.  The point is that in my specific experience a LARGE PERCENTAGE of people that make $25/hr or less would rather stay at home for "similar" pay.  At least the people that my staffing company in Houston has contacted for lower paying roles in the last 12+ months.  Not everyone.  And surely not anyone that would ever deign to post on this site.

Just giving my perspective. 

This is why I’m against Universal Basic Income.  In theory, it’s a supplement to their current income.  In reality, people will just take it, live cheap somehow, and not do shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Never said they were, JFC.  Read better.  You are acting like these restaurant jobs are akin to working the coal mines and just chew through workers like fodder.  Again, many, many people love the gig and make good money to the tune of hundreds of dollars cash over the course of a good shift.  Many have moved on.  Many others have returned, and many are still on the dole and working cash-only side hustles.  

I didn't and would never compare working in a restaurant to working the coal mines. You seem to love to just make shit up and have a straw-man argument. Maybe that's the only way you can win one. Yes, you can make reasonable cash on a nightly basis waiting tables if you have the right shift at the right restaurant. But typically you can't just walk into a prime job in the restaurant industry without either good experience or a good connection. Additionally you typically have to train for 2 weeks by working without tips. Then they'll put you on the schedule but start you with the least lucrative shifts. Typically no paid leave, sick leave or healthcare. And if you're just starting out, it's really a difficult job to do well. I can recall having nightmares about "being in the weeds" for the first few months on the job. Except for some servers at very successful fine dining establishments, it's a job for people in transition or a 2nd job. Or people who have no better choices and aren't overjoyed to be working in a restsuarant.

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is why I’m against Universal Basic Income.  In theory, it’s a supplement to their current income.  In reality, people will just take it, live cheap somehow, and not do shit.

Except that the few real life examples of this don't prove your theory true. (edit: I'm not arguing for or against it and don't have an opinion on it, just noting a fact)

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, synoptic said:

Regarding customers, there are some incredibly entitled folks out there these days.  I've gotten voice mails and emails cussing us out for not being open.  I've explained we just do not have sufficient properly trained staff.  They take personal offense at this.  

seriously fuck those people. 

3 hours ago, huge said:

One of the major media outlets, which one I can't remember(Bloomberg?), did a story on this last week and UE was pretty low on reasons.

IIRC #1 was Amazon, Target, and Walmart starting pay $15/hr, with benefits, taking away the gamble of are you going to have a good week tip wise.

Followed closely by COVID fear driving food service employees to pick food delivery/shopping for others work over face to maskless face contact all day. It wasn't necessarily fear for themselves but as low wage earners they are far more likely to be in a multi-generational living situation. Food service workers didn't/don't want to risk it when the majority of those still dining out are/were anti mask and now compounded by the anti vax crowd.

Rounding out the top three was childcare/homeschooling issues during COVID.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, huge said:

FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I'd also posit that the largest generation to date, millennials, have largely moved beyond service industry jobs at this point and thus have moved from the service labor supply column to the service labor demand column.

Moved on...pffft. They haven’t even moved out of the basement yet...

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I'd also posit that the largest generation to date, millennials, have largely moved beyond service industry jobs at this point and thus have moved from the service labor supply column to the service labor demand column.

They’re buying avocado toast instead of serving it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slorch said:

Moved on...pffft. They haven’t even moved out of the basement yet...

As the poster below mentioned, you are beyond stupid. That generation is STILL digging out of the Great Recession and finally in the age group of having jobs and being able to buy homes and have families. 

Dumbass boomer. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As the poster below mentioned, you are beyond stupid. That generation is STILL digging out of the Great Recession and finally in the age group of having jobs and being able to buy homes and have families. 

Dumbass boomer. 

Laugh much?  of course not.  It's the way you people love it.  I'm weell aware of the Millenial influence on the labor market, purchasing power, and right now...the housing market.

Also, not a boomer...not even close.

Edited by slorch

On 5/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, Royalfan5 said:

While I’ve never worked in food service, everyone seems to indicate that doing so fucking sucks with shitty hours and schedules, and that management is often pretty shady regarding tips and other employment laws. Then you add in a declining cohort of younger workers. (I believe nationally school enrollment is to drop in aggregate through 2030 or so) so the labor pool that the industry relies is getting shallower on top of that. Then you can add in other opportunities that your labor force sees as better be it door dashing or working in an Amazon warehouse(slightly better pay, defined hours, less assholes deciding your pay on whims, less drawbacks overall) and you can’t be really surprised that labor is getting tighter. It’s like when people bemoan the lost of small dairy farms without ever acknowledging that being a small dairy owner sucks because you work your ass off and wreck your body for limited payoff.

Yeah, waiting tables sucks.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Anyone who looks at this problem and has the conclusion that “unemployment benefits are too high” rather than “labor is underpaid” is thinking like a fucking moron 

Why does it have to be one or the other and not both? I will say this, the higher unemployment benefits are affecting other industries, not just restaurant industry 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

Why is it the same 4-6 same shitty posters that blast Republican talking points on all subs. 

UE isn’t stoping any material amount of people from not working. For every 1 person that says this, there is 10x that have too many applicants because wages were raised. 

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

Why is it the same 4-6 same shitty posters that blast Republican talking points on all subs. 

UE isn’t stoping any material amount of people from not working. For every 1 person that says this, there is 10x that have too many applicants because wages were raised. 

Which Republican talking points?

Your denial that  extended UE incredibly impacts the labor market?  That isn't partisan.  That is fundamental economics.

Even in West Texas where more businesses tried to stay open, there are still "Help Wanted" ads and signs all over the freaking place. There are recruiting bounties and signing bonuses all over the board.  Businesses are struggling like hell to get staffed.

Edited by slorch