Are all Restaurants Understaffed now (2021)?

hornian

58 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Tried to have lunch in Idaho Springs, CO and the wait was 35 minutes for a table, and 1 hour for food.  Reason, understaffed.  Went to a fast food place closer to Denver.

When I lived in Ken Caryl Ranch, I used to like to stop at the A&W in Idaho Springs (gone now) after a day’s skiing, so this hits close to home.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:28 PM, conVINCEd said:

Mine certainly found a better job.  The handle on the freezer drawer filed for disability.  I’m out on Samsung.

Our house had Samsung appliances when we bought it. All were POS. I could go on, but it would be like some Surly poster droning about his FFL. 

Our Samsung fridge (no ice maker) and microwave that have worked fine for years and years, door handles and everything. Got a couple of phones that are still kicking despite being relatively older models (6 & 7). Also have a small TV that's been going for a decade.

Where we're seeing the staffing problems is in public transport. Restaurants have been hit hard as well. Not sure what impact this has had on wages though as the safety net is much more wound into the economy here (UK), and taxes are going to eat into higher wages quite a lot.

10 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Fewer. No wonder no one thanked her for teaching.

Hope this doesn't derail the thread, but I'm not sure you are entirely correct, or atleast the point is subjective. 'Less' is an adjective in this case. The reason why it seems out of place here is that we are used to seeing it followed, either immediately or later in the sentence, with a qualifying phrase such as "than blah blah blah". Tweets are messages where I believe the grammar guidelines are somewhat more relaxed and brusque due to the character limit. So her implied 'than the amount of hours I was working as a teacher' is left out on purpose.

If you really wanted to be picky about her grammar though, she should have put 'a' or 'per' before 'week', or 'week' should be 'weekly'. And 'thank you' should be in some kind of quotation mark (probably single apstrophe - but that's perhaps a UK bias). And the following sentence after that was a fragment. But then again brusqueness so.... She's already at 241 here (250 limit).

There's raw bar, tap house in a marina where we hang on the weekends. It's the only one in town.  indoor, and outdoor seating on the water.  They should be minting gold coins, but they're so poorly run they can't get food orders straight (great food by the way). It can take 2 hours for lunch, they don't greet you when you walk in with anything other than a shit more people to deal with attitude (not rude, just harried and slack) look on their face.  

The bar tender doesn't even acknowledge you when you sit down for 5 minutes sometimes. It's your house, say hey how ya doing, I'll get to you as soon as I can. Your tip just stayed at 20% min.  They'll be half full because they don't have enough staff, or the kitchen can't handle the load.

Ya don't wanna get pissed, it's just food, and they're not trying to be rude, but you want to grab the manager, and give him/her a laundry list of the little things they could do to just keep people from being pissed,  and feeling ignored.  No. 1 is keep glasses filled, you'll make more bank, and better tips with that little basic rule than just about any other.  Pay staff a couple bucks more an hour if that's what it takes to get the right people.

Hitting sports now too...

Citi Field Staffed by Rival Phillies Vendors Amid Worker Shortage

Spoiler

It’s the Citi of brotherly grub! 

The Mets are having such a hard time staffing home games with food and drink vendors amid a dry labor market that the service company responsible has to bus in labor from the rival Philadelphia Phillies, The Post has learned. 

Vendors who usually sling hot dogs and beers at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia have been shuttled on an hours-long bus ride to Citi Field to serve unsuspecting Mets diehards at some recent home games, according to employees and a union leader.

Food service firm Aramark, which hires vendors at both ballparks, is so desperate to fill positions amid the coronavirus crisis and its related economic downturn, it’s paying Philly-based workers to undertake the sometimes three-hour commute into enemy territory, said Ryan Nissim-Sabat, director of Union 174 in Philadelphia.

“They’re busing them back and forth and paying them for the ride,” said Nissim-Sabat.

“My guess is they’re struggling to fill positions because they don’t pay a high enough wage,” he said, adding that concessions workers make roughly $15 an hour. “At the end of [the] day we’re still in a pandemic, and asking workers to be in front of 10,000 strangers at a stadium is still somewhat risky.

“They should be paying more.”

On June 11, as the Mets prepared for a home tilt against the Pittsburgh Pirates, some Citi Field workers noticed buses of food vendors from the Phillies’ stadium arriving in Flushing.

“I saw buses full of workers in the parking lot and saw they came from Philly,” said longtime Citi Field food vendor Bobby Lee.

In recent months, the food service industry in New York City has been plagued by a shortage of workers, some of whom say they’re better off collecting unemployment checks — fattened by COVID-19 relief bills — than returning to work.

But Lee said that the arrangement has been going both ways.

“It’s reciprocal,” said Lee. “They’ve been busing people there [to Philadelphia] too.”

Aramark may simply want to fill vacant positions with people who already work for the company instead of hiring temps, said Nissim-Sabat — while arguing that it would be more efficient for the company to have vendors stick to home games.

“They should be hiring locally,” he said. “It’s a waste of resources to send them back and forth.”

An Aramark rep said the company has been occasionally busing workers from Philadelphia to Citi Field for decades — but workers said it’s been happening more frequently in recent weeks.

The rep didn’t respond to inquiries about whether the company is having trouble hiring locally.

Harold Kaufman, a spokesman for the Mets, declined to comment.

For their part, Mets fans were split on whether they wanted to be served by the road team.

“I would never work at Citizens Banks Park because it’s that grit. I’m a huge Mets fan so I would never want to work for the Phillies organization,” said Jamie Lynch, a lifelong supporter who said he’d only be OK with the outsiders if they were fellow Mets boosters — or at least agnostic.

“If [slugging first baseman Pete] Alonso hits a home run … and I’m standing there and grabbing food and they are handing it to me and they are upset, it definitely crushes my vibe at the park,” explained the 21-year-old Westchester resident wearing the jersey of Amazins ace Jacob deGrom. “I want all pro-Mets.”

Another sports buff, who declined to be identified by name, said that the important thing was the service, not who was providing it.

“If I want to buy a beer at a game, I don’t care if it’s from a Phillies worker,” the fan said. “I’d be madder if I wanted a beer and couldn’t get one.”