I Wanna Say ‘I Told You so…’ (Chinese Glass Bridge Shannonigans)

Doc Reeves

Nope, nope, nope.

Nope.

A tourist was left clinging on for dear life after the glass panels of a 100m-high bridge in China were damaged in strong winds.

The walkway, located in the Piyan Mountain in the city of Longjing, reportedly saw its glass panels shattered by the extreme weather conditions on Friday.

Now a picture has emerged of a man holding onto the railings of the bridge, which is suspended 100m in the air.

According to local media, the man was stuck on the walkway for a short time before being rescued by firefighters and police.

The man was then taken to hospital, where he received counselling.

The photo was first posted on Chinese social media site Weibo and has since been viewed millions of times.

A video of tourists walking across the bridge on another day shows that one section of it has a fake shattering effect when visitors walk over it.

Chinese mountain resorts are increasingly featuring popular glass-bottomed bridges as a way to attract tourists….

Actually, that hand/guardrail looks tailor made for saving yourself if something happens to the glass other than shatter under your feet.

It looks like at least a couple of the panels flipped up, including the one where he's holding on.  Given that rail, which appears intact all the way to the end, looks like you could keep a firm grip and sidestep your way to safety.

Of course, it looks like the flying glass panel "did unto" a couple of railing sections on the right side.

Apart from the bridge failure, it must have been scary af to be on that bridge in that kind of wind.

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

another quality job by chinese engineers !!!!

if they're not copying / stealing it from someone smarter, it's going to be crap 

It's still possibly crap because their manufacturing is only as good as the company supervising it.  Made in China is a strong warning signal.

• Hook 'Em 2

I wouldn’t lean against the windows of the Sears Tower like they did in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. You couldn’t pay me to walk on any glass floor over a huge drop-off, the Grand Canyon or anywhere else. Fuck that. If anyone anywhere would get screwed by random chance in one of those situations, I’m pretty sure it would be me.

I’m glad I got to go to the top floor of one of the World Trade Center towers back in the 80’s. While we were there some window cleaners came down outside on a scaffold.

Not for all the money in the world. Nope. No way, no how. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's still possibly crap because their manufacturing is only as good as the company supervising it.  Made in China is a strong warning signal.

Yep. When I worked for a oil field equipment manufacturing company, most customers required no Chinese steel be used to build their equipment. I wouldn’t want to work for those companies that allowed Chinese steel to be used.

12 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I wouldn't trust a Chinese PEZ dispenser. If you view every item they make with Harbor Freight skepticism, you just might live.

CHIEF

Steel Shank: "Listen to me Chief, and listen good. Do EXACTLY as I say when I say it and we just might get out of this thing alive."

Chief: "Ok then."

Steel Shank: "Let's go!!"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I wouldn’t lean against the windows of the Sears Tower like they did in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. You couldn’t pay me to walk on any glass floor over a huge drop-off, the Grand Canyon or anywhere else. Fuck that. If anyone anywhere would get screwed by random chance in one of those situations, I’m pretty sure it would be me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Garry_Hoy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I don't get the desire to be scared like that. Roller coasters, glass bridges, no thanks. If I want to feel terror, I'll look at pics from my first marriage.

Same.

I have no desire to cross bridges like that or the one pictured in this post.

When I was little I crossed the Royal Gorge Bridge and that was enough for me.

E1327C05-7334-4D18-8FE5-2D6EEFDCBC96.jpeg

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This is of no concern to me as I would never get within 100 feet of that bridge.  I fell off a ski lift as a kid and have generally avoided activities where I could fall a great distance ever since then.

I have no fear of heights but I have a great fear of falling. Flying in a plane doesn’t bother me but I’m not going to jump out of one. King’s Island used to boast the tallest Ferris wheel but you were in a completely enclosed car surrounded by a cage. The little seats on the Ferris wheel at your average county fair scared me a lot more because there was nothing but a little bar between you and certain death. Going up to the top of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis? No problem. Climbing higher than about six feet in a tree? Nope. 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I have no fear of heights but I have a great fear of falling. Flying in a plane doesn’t bother me but I’m not going to jump out of one. King’s Island used to boast the tallest Ferris wheel but you were in a completely enclosed car surrounded by a cage. The little seats on the Ferris wheel at your average county fair scared me a lot more because there was nothing but a little bar between you and certain death. Going up to the top of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis? No problem. Climbing higher than about six feet in a tree? Nope. 

I’m about the same.  Planes don’t bother me, but I really don’t like having to get up on the roof.

A video of tourists walking across the bridge on another day shows that one section of it has a fake shattering effect when visitors walk over it.

I saw a video of the section that makes the glass breaking sound and was thinking, that's the king of bad ideas.

Edited by TexasEd

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Same.

Standing on the edge of 300 foot cliffs this weekend looking at Aoudads. Closest I would get is about 3-6 feet from the edge. CHIEF Jr. is about a foot away from the edge looking through binoculars. I hated acting like a helicopter Dad to a 23 year old kid, but I kept grabbing his shirt and pulling him back. I kept getting the WTF glance, but when you are all excited looking through binoculars you aren't looking at your feet.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Same.

Standing on the edge of 300 foot cliffs this weekend looking at Aoudads. Closest I would get is about 3-6 feet from the edge. CHIEF Jr. is about a foot away from the edge looking through binoculars. I hated acting like a helicopter Dad to a 23 year old kid, but I kept grabbing his shirt and pulling him back. I kept getting the WTF glance, but when you are all excited looking through binoculars you aren't looking at your feet.

CHIEF

Spy Spying GIF

28 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Same.

CHIEF

Not to mention a sudden gust of wind affecting one's balance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Yep. When I worked for a oil field equipment manufacturing company, most customers required no Chinese steel be used to build their equipment. I wouldn’t want to work for those companies that allowed Chinese steel to be used.

This isn’t as much of a deal anymore.  I agree that I remember the same.  Many, if not most, valve companies are bringing forgings and castings in from China for machining and assembly in the US.  Amazing the amount of oilfield stuff nowadays with “Made in China” on the tag. 

31 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

This isn’t as much of a deal anymore.  I agree that I remember the same.  Many, if not most, valve companies are bringing forgings and castings in from China for machining and assembly in the US.  Amazing the amount of oilfield stuff nowadays with “Made in China” on the tag. 

It's only been a couple of years since I worked in the oil field.  It's interesting to hear that the drop in oil prices caused companies to settle for Chinese stuff.  We did work for some pretty big companies just a few years ago that would have nothing to do with Chinese material (Nabors, NOV, Halliburton for example). 

Edited by Hate

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

It's only been a couple of years since I worked in the oil field.  It's interesting to hear that the drop in oil prices caused companies to settle for Chinese stuff.  We did work for some pretty big companies just a few years ago that would have nothing to so with Chinese material (Nabors, NOV, Halliburton for example). 

I work in chemicals, and for higher end steel we had problems with Korean valves about a decade ago. Through body corrosion. No bueno.

17 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

This sent me down a WikiRabbitHole back to the Defenestrations of Prague. I'd thought there was only one, but it turns out tossing people off high buildings is an ancient Czech custom, or maybe more widely Slavic, as the Russians seem fond of the practice even today. 

Anyway, per Wiki, the two earliest mass defenestrations of Prague involved outraged citizens rounding up certain members of the Prague town council and chunking them out of the highest windows of town hall.

1024px-Prague_Praha_2014_Holmstad_-_Det_

On advice of counsel, we offer this disclaimer: this is merely a historical account, not an instigation to the citizens of Austin nor a suggested course of action of any kind. Additionally, Austin City Hall is not a particularly defenestration-friendly structure so for maximum effect in following the course of action we are not suggesting, we would theoretically propose using the Texas tower.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This sent me down a WikiRabbitHole back to the Defenestrations of Prague. I'd thought there was only one, but it turns out tossing people off high buildings is an ancient Czech custom, or maybe more widely Slavic, as the Russians seem fond of the practice even today. 

Anyway, per Wiki, the two earliest mass defenestrations of Prague involved outraged citizens rounding up certain members of the Prague town council and chunking them out of the highest windows of town hall.

1024px-Prague_Praha_2014_Holmstad_-_Det_

On advice of counsel, we offer this disclaimer: this is merely a historical account, not an instigation to the citizens of Austin nor a suggested course of action of any kind. Additionally, Austin City Hall is not a particularly defenestration-friendly structure so for maximum effect in following the course of action we are not suggesting, we would theoretically propose using the Texas tower.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 2