40 people shot in 3 days

Stros

43 minutes ago, Stros said:

Nearly 40 shot over three days in Chicago, including young mother, 4-year-old girl, teen on CTA bus

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/nearly-40-shot-over-three-days-in-chicago-including-young-mother-4-year-old-girl-teen-on-cta-bus/ar-AAwHD0p?ocid=ientp

What should be done?

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
Unnecessary assholery retraction
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Seriously.  Is there some Juarez style turf war going on now? Or just all unrelated shootings?

Gang warfare and retaliation accounts for the majority of the murders. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

What about integrated neighborhoods?

They have tried. It doesn't work on the scale that most would want it to. And others have been a colossal failure and massive waste of money. To a little reading on the history of Cabrini-Green.

3 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Fix the public schools, pour money into competent teachers and adequate facilities. It will pay off in 10 years, but gotta start now. I'm sure Devos is on it. 

Sadly that ship is long sailed and even if it was feasible they don't have a dime. Pension massively underfunded, City, State, all dealing with massive debt issues and budget shortfalls.

The biggest problem is the gangs run the bad parts of Chicago, those that are law abiding citizens turn the other cheek as it's easier to put your head down and mind your own business and hope that your kid doesn't get shot than to put a massive target on your back by saying something or trying to make a change. Throw in the massive majority of kids come from a single family home, the streets are how they get educated and it's very difficult to say no once the gangs come to recruit. In many cases if you do try and avoid that shit it's just the same as being from a rival gang. 

6 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Gang warfare and retaliation accounts for the majority of the murders. 

This. and innocent bystanders getting caught in the crossfire. 

1 minute ago, JimmyHoffa said:

They have tried. It doesn't work on the scale that most would want it to. And others have been a colossal failure and massive waste of money. To a little reading on the history of Cabrini-Green.

They tried low income housing in middle and high income neighborhoods? 

Interesting.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm old. Old enough to know that American housing is extremely segregated and that is part of the problem.

If that is the case than you are old enough to know why it normally works out that way not by design but a lot of basic economic principals? 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

30 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Sadly that ship is long sailed and even if it was feasible they don't have a dime. Pension massively underfunded, City, State, all dealing with massive debt issues and budget shortfalls.

The biggest problem is the gangs run the bad parts of Chicago, those that are law abiding citizens turn the other cheek as it's easier to put your head down and mind your own business and hope that your kid doesn't get shot than to put a massive target on your back by saying something or trying to make a change. Throw in the massive majority of kids come from a single family home, the streets are how they get educated and it's very difficult to say no once the gangs come to recruit. In many cases if you do try and avoid that shit it's just the same as being from a rival gang. 

This. and innocent bystanders getting caught in the crossfire. 

Which is why I never fully understood Rahm Emanuel relocating detective bureaus further from high crime areas and disbanding gang task forces. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Here's a thought. Start caring and see what happens.

I can care all I want to.  If the people doing this don't care then what difference does it make?  Me caring, me changing my ways won't do a damn thing to them care.  

It's like an alcholic or a drug addict.  Until they want to change then all the efforts by others are pointless.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

Do I like it?  No.

Do I want it to continue?  No.

Is it horrible?  Yes.

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I can care all I want to.  If the people doing this don't care then what difference does it make?  Me caring, me changing my ways won't do a damn thing to them care.  

It's like an alcholic or a drug addict.  Until they want to change then all the efforts by others are pointless.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

Do I like it?  No.

Do I want it to continue?  No.

Is it horrible?  Yes.

Would you accept low income housing in your neighborhood?

Edited by David Dennison

Would you accept low income housing in your neighborhood?

No.  Would you?

Section 8 housing is less than 3 miles away across the highway and it is a problem for our neighborhood.

Edited by deadshank

OK.  I'm sure that made a difference to the people in Section 8 housing, having you grow up down the street and what not.

So, you're telling me you'd like some S8 housing right up next to your house?  Interesting.

Just now, deadshank said:

OK.  I'm sure that made a difference to the people in Section 8 housing, having you grow up down the street and what not.

So, you're telling me you'd like some S8 housing right up next to your house?  Interesting.

I know that makes a huge difference for children. Integrated neighborhoods are one of the keys to breaking the cycle of poverty. Sadly, this country suffers from a NIMBYism that relegates low income households to neighborhoods where children have no exposure to anything but poverty.

Just now, David Dennison said:

I know that makes a huge difference for children. Integrated neighborhoods are one of the keys to breaking the cycle of poverty. Sadly, this country suffers from a NIMBYism that relegates low income households to neighborhoods where children have no exposure to anything but poverty.

Being poor sucks.  No doubt.  Integrated neighborhoods would be a great idea if it would work but it won't becuase people are people.  The world is a hard place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

so being poor makes one shoot people?

Fatalism is a privilege of the ruling class.

I'm not  member of the ruling class.  I do what I can to help others.  I've provided free roofs for the needy, I've given away items to those in need, I've provided money with no strings attached or requirement for repayment.

Some stuff goes to good use and some went down the drain.

There are those that choose to live as they do, some are stuck in their circumstances and, unfortunately, children are often the collateral damage.

There are rays of hope and at other times you need to shake the dust from your feet, move on and leave people on their own.

• Like 1

I'm not  member of the ruling class.  I do what I can to help others.  I've provided free roofs for the needy, I've given away items to those in need, I've provided money with no strings attached or requirement for repayment.

Some stuff goes to good use and some went down the drain.

There are those that choose to live as they do, some are stuck in their circumstances and, unfortunately, children are often the collateral damage.

There are rays of hope and at other times you need to shake the dust from your feet, move on and leave people on their own.

Are you white?

Just now, David Dennison said:

Welcome to the American ruling class. The number of white men in power greatly outweigh our numbers in this country.

Apparently I have yet to receive my welcome package and credentials.  

By "our numbers" are you indicating you are not white?

Apparently I have yet to receive my welcome package and credentials.  

By "our numbers" are you indicating you are not white?

I'm white. I know where I stand. I know that the number of white men in power is disproportionate to the number of white men in the general population. The numbers tend to skew in our favor in a big way. I'm trying to change that with every vote. 

I'm white. I know where I stand. I know that the number of white men in power is disproportionate to the number of white men in the general population. The numbers tend to skew in our favor in a big way. I'm trying to change that with every vote. 

Well, OK.  Is voting against someone because of their skin color the same thing as voting for someone becuase of their skin color?  Are you voting against a qualified white candidate  only because you wan't to see a non-white in office and not really caring about what they stand for?  That seems silly and misguided.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Well, OK.  Is voting against someone because of their skin color the same thing as voting for someone becuase of their skin color?  Are you voting against a qualified white candidate  only because you wan't to see a non-white in office and not really caring about what they stand for?  That seems silly and misguided.

I vote for the candidate who most closely reflects my ideology regardless of race. 

I hit the fucking jackpot with Barack Obama.

I vote for the candidate who most closely reflects my ideology regardless of race. 

I hit the fucking jackpot with Barack Obama.

I can't say anything different about who I vote for or why.  On the other hand, I don't put much stock in politicians.

Glad you got your guy Obama in office.  I didn't care for him nor vote for him. 

Good chat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

it's obvious the solution is more guns.  you guys are dense if you don't see that.

Disarm liberals and their constituencies by any means necessary. Our homicide rate would look like Belgiums. That’s if you want something that would actually work. 

• Like 2