Pipeline Problem Potentially Problematic, production possibly paralyzed

Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I work in Cybersecurity for a US refiner.  We are hearing that their business network was completely compromised.  OT allegedly was not, but was shutdown as a precaution.  Down since Friday morning, supposed to be back online by this Friday.  The places that are fucked now are from panic buying.  There are imminent supply issues for almost every SE state though.  GA TN SC NC AL MS VA are most at risk and roughly in that order.

I've heard the same, IT was breached but not OT. Which doesn't really surprise me that much. It's pretty common for this to happen on the IT side while OT is left alone. I've responded to several incidents where the IT was breached and OT was untouched despite there being poor segmentation. No real reason for attackers to stop in IT other than avoiding the hornets nest it would stir. My theory was always that no one outside of state actors were going to fuck with OT and the criminal groups would stick with the IT soft underbelly.

Guest Lobo
10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Doesn't gasoline start to decompose past 90 days or so?

"His gallon's decomposing in my locker" /Angel

2 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

b9ad716675575e637b5ab336c92e1936.jpg
Look at this douchebag( and not the one in the reflection) getting gas beside me in Chattanooga. You can see the new stickers on 2 of jugs. I was in 3 counties today in Tennessee and all are out or about to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Sandler take that picture?

I live in Texas, had about a half tank left but gassed up anyway today. I know I’m part of the problem but I also know how hopelessly stupid people are. There’ll be a nationwide run on gas shortly.

I did as well. Was at a quarter tank and need to drive up to north Austin in a few days so I did it. But I think we are probably sitting on a shit ton of gas since it can’t go up north. Oh well, I learned my lesson in the ice storm so I’ll be a little more cautious on this shit.

Meanwhile, the idiot governor of Michigan is still planning on shutting down another major pipeline tomorrow:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/11/michigan-governor-enbridge-line5-shutdown
The state of Michigan has told a Canadian energy company it must shut down a controversial oil and gas pipeline by Wednesday amid growing fears that a spill would be catastrophic to the region, in a feud which threatens to strain relations between Canada and the United States.
The company’s refusal to comply with the order, and swift support from top Canadian officials, highlights the politicized nature of pipelines, which campaigners have used as a target in the fight against climate change.
For nearly 67 years, Enbridge has moved oil and natural gas from western Canada through Michigan and the Great Lakes to refineries in the province of Ontario.
But Michigan says that one section to the pipeline – Line 5 – is too risky to continue operating.
In November, the Michigan governor, Gretchen Whitmer, announced a plan to revoke the easement granted to Enbridge, which permits Line 5 to cross under the Straits of Mackinac. Whitmer set 12 May as the deadline for the Canadian energy giant to shut down the pipeline...
Spoiler

...“These oil pipelines in the Straits of Mackinac are a ticking timebomb, and their continued presence violates the public trust and poses a grave threat to Michigan’s environment and economy,” Whitmer’s office said in a statement.
The company says it has never experienced a leak in the underwater section of Line 5 and is currently working to tunnel beneath the lake bed to further improve the safety of the pipeline. But in the last two years, the pipeline has been struck by boat anchors and cables. And in 2010, a separate Enbridge pipeline spilled 3.2m litres of oil into Michigan’s Kalamazoo River.
Whitmer, who campaigned on shutting down the pipeline, has received support from Democratic attorneys general as well environmental campaigners and Indigenous communities on both sides of the border.
“Should anything that’s being transported in these 67-year-old pipelines get into the Great Lakes, it would have devastating effects and irreparable consequences,” said the Anishinabek Nation grand council chief, Glen Hare, who represents 39 First Nations across Ontario.
In February, a federal court ordered Michigan and Enbridge to enter mediation. Recently, Michigan has argued that the case should be heard by a state court, which could give it a more favourable judgment.
But international trade lawyer Lawrence Herman says that the United States, not Michigan, is legally bound to keep the pipeline running.
He points to the 1977 Transit Pipelines Treaty between Canada and the United States, which was ratified by the US congress.
“Regardless of what the state of Michigan may or may not want to do, the treaty is binding on the United States as a whole,”said Herman. “It’s a matter between the two governments: Canada and the United States.”
Both governments intended the deal to be a long-term arrangement, said Herman, pointing out the treaty requires either side give 10 years notice to withdraw.
“My point is, a deal is a deal,” he said.
Enbridge’s president, Al Monaco, has warned that a shutdown would have disastrous consequences for the country’s two most populous provinces, calling it a “very bad outcome”.
Line 5 delivers nearly half of the oil needs of both Ontario and Quebec, as well as propane for the state of Michigan.
Earlier this month, Canada’s natural resources minister said the continued operation of the pipeline was “non-negotiable” and warned that in addition to thousands of job losses, a shutdown would require 800 tanker rail cars and 2,000 trucks each day to move oil.
Canada and the United States have pledged to reduce emissions, but the two countries remain heavily reliant on oil. The precariousness of energy access was highlighted earlier this weekend after a key pipeline in the US was shut down following a ransomware attack....

...In addition to lobbying by diplomats, the Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau, has raised Line 5 with Joe Biden, who has not yet commented publicly on the issue.

Have a bunch of family in Northern Michigan. Fuck that Line 5 shit. You may not like the governor but it’s a huge local issue up there and indeed just a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have 3/4 of a tank and haven't gone looking, but it's getting a might scarce from the reports I'm hearing around central Va.

Just waited in line in Haymarket.  Only had premium left. Guy said he’s running thru 4k/gal/hr.  Tried 4 stations on way to that one but all were already taped off. We have about 15 3/4-ton trucks between me and my crew.  Luckily we have a few thousand gallons of diesel staged but this might suck for me very shortly.  

Edited by fattyflattie

On 5/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, Brisketexan said:

Seems like having massive slices of our infrastructure in entirely private hands, with patchwork security and contingency planning, has some downsides that maybe we should try to ameliorate.  Just like having it all run under one umbrella would have downsides.  Whatever the case, the risks are real, and it's literally in our national security interest to try to minimize them.  With some foresight and such.

Because the government does what exactly well or efficiently? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

War

Space 

Education 

Roads

Jobs 

Mail 

Energy 

Guess which one we never cut funding to

Good at war but pretty crappy at Cybersecurity which what this incident is really about.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Good at war but pretty crappy at Cybersecurity which what this incident is really about.

Totally agree. No one has really done shit to address cyber security yet. We just keep pretending it’s not real. Hack after Hack

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

War - efficiently?   

Space - Musk is laughing at you.

Education - where do we rank?

Roads - yeah I'll concede

Jobs - you're fucking kidding right?   

Mail - if it wasn't constitutionally mandated would the USPS still exist?

Energy - ummm what?  

Guess which one we never cut funding to

And I'll apologize I meant to say well AND efficiently. 

17 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

And I'll apologize I meant to say well AND efficiently. 

Did you read the cut funding part? That’s a pretty big point. actually that was my whole point

War - efficiently?   - 

Space - Musk is laughing at you. - (NASA was gutted like a pig. You think NASA wasn’t good at Space before money went bye bye? @RamjetFDO can help)

Education - where do we rank? (FUNDING. The majority of people on this board were educated at public schools) 

Roads - yeah I'll concede

Jobs - you're fucking kidding right?  (FDR, American Recovery Act after Great Recession, Military is the biggest jobs program for the poor in our history) 

Mail - if it wasn't constitutionally mandated would the USPS still exist? (Let’s see, who recently cut funding to USPS?)

Energy - ummm what?  (Nuclear, Hydroelectric- Hoover Dam, We just approved Wind Farms, We subsidize oil and gas) 

People continuously cry that the government never does anything well, and it’s a self-fulfilling lie. Cut spending, the government sucks, cut spending, the government never does anything well. No shit, if you keep cutting funding to all the programs they’re going to suck. Which ones don’t suck? The ones that never get funding cut. Military and Roads. (Social security too). 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

There is no gas shortage in Texas, but if/when people start panicking there will a transportation shortage to keep stores supplied.   Take Florida for example, people panicked there and ran half the stores dry and there isn't a pipeline in that state.  It's all barged or railed in.   If people would just stick with their normal purchasing habits everything would be okay.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

One of my coworkers in Charlottesville had a little less than half a tank so he went searching for station that wasn't empty.  After waiting in line for over an hour the station ran out of gas, so he came back with nothing.  After telling me the story, I asked, "so all brakes, no gas?"  He didn't seem overly amused.

• Like 1

No gas at 5 different stations on my way home tonight.  All the pumps are taped off.  If this isn't fixed quick the economy in the mid Atlantic is going to grind to a halt worse than the early covid days.   Some fucker was charging $6.99 for gas in the city at one station. That fucker needs to be firebombed.

I have just under 3/4 of a tank, and have 2 site visits planned tomorrow that will probably empty my tank.

• Hook 'Em 1