Pipeline Problem Potentially Problematic, production possibly paralyzed

Wally Fairway

besides the pipeline, it looks like gasbuddy.com is also not available. in addition to not being able to access the app for a couple of days, when I did get in none of the local stations had any pricing and it says it can't find my favorites list. 
Hey DeHaan, quit making public statements and get your shit together

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

besides the pipeline, it looks like gasbuddy.com is also not available. in addition to not being able to access the app for a couple of days, when I did get in none of the local stations had any pricing and it says it can't find my favorites list. 

Noticed a day or two ago in Austin that Google maps wasn't displaying prices on stations like it normally does. And 2 days ago the closest spot was out of everything but the super premium bullshit. Then late last night I went to the closest station to my house and filled up for $2.59 and thought... hmmm this doesn't seem like a gas crisis. 

21 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Run it to the vent line and it isn't gravity fed. That's what most guys w/ transfer tanks do, from the tank into a tee fitting spliced into the filler vent. So fuel transfers to main tank as fuel pump empties it out and draws new fuel in through the vent  /csb

That may be what it was. I know some DOT gave him shit for it but he kept it, so maybe DOT was wrong. Or story got fucked up.  I’ve drank ALOT since those days.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

That may be what it was. I know some DOT gave him shit for it but he kept it, so maybe DOT was wrong. Or story got fucked up.  I’ve drank ALOT since those days.  

Back in the late 70s early 80s a lot of the farmers/ranchers had their trucks converted to run on either propane or gas.  Some gas tractors ran on propane too.  

19 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Back in the late 70s early 80s a lot of the farmers/ranchers had their trucks converted to run on either propane or gas.  Some gas tractors ran on propane too.  

10/4 yeah I’ve been around some of that.  This was more I don’t want to stop for diesel every few hours so will plumb in the 150gal transfer tank and never worry about that type of deal.  

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

10/4 yeah I’ve been around some of that.  This was more I don’t want to stop for diesel every few hours so will plumb in the 150gal transfer tank and never worry about that type of deal.  

Our ranch trucks all have those diesel tank/toolbox combos.  I think they hold around 90 gallons in auxiliary.

I am about to by a used F250 from an uncle -- he is the type of dude you absolutely want his used cars.  He upgrades everything, garage stores it (yes, even his F250), puts about 5,000 miles a year on it (he has other vehicles), and keeps it in immaculate condition.  Be nice to top off my tanks at the ranch.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

The app worked for me last night.

Our ranch trucks all have those diesel tank/toolbox combos.  I think they hold around 90 gallons in auxiliary.
I am about to by a used F250 from an uncle -- he is the type of dude you absolutely want his used cars.  He upgrades everything, garage stores it (yes, even his F250), puts about 5,000 miles a year on it (he has other vehicles), and keeps it in immaculate condition.  Be nice to top off my tanks at the ranch.
And plumb the service tank right in to the injection pump. Offroad diesel, Baby!

Few months ago I watched some jackass pour acetone into a styrofoam coffee cup trying to take some to where he was working on a job.  Moron.

No idea why he didn’t just take the can of acetone.  But, then again humans continue to amaze me. Not in a good way.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

How were they feeling when they had no power back in Feb?

Just fine while sitting in their heated car in the garage watching Netflix, not worried about CO poisoning.  It’s not like they were going to drive anywhere.  

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Parliament said:
31 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And plumb the service tank right in to the injection pump. Offroad diesel, Baby!

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Few months ago I watched some jackass pour acetone into a styrofoam coffee cup trying to take some to where he was working on a job.  Moron.

No idea why he didn’t just take the can of acetone.  But, then again humans continue to amaze me. Not in a good way.

I once saw a guy dump a little bit of some sketchy looking meth into a styrofoam cup of coffee.  He didn't stir it and it melted a hole through the bottom after a couple of minutes.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Still plenty of 585 M-M propane irrigation motors running on top of the Ogllala Aquifer today that date back to the 60s and 70’s.

• Hook 'Em 1

b179b9e4cf5889103d9e8e84ed1c76c0e3cd0068.gifv
Rather than having the engine (injection pump) draw from the factory tank, filled with taxed, road fuel, you fuel it with the untaxed offroad fuel from the service tank. Cop'll never figure it out.. 80's era Chevy's with dual tanks we especially easy to modify.

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Are you sure he wasn't reading an 80s copy of the Anarchist Cookbook?

12 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Reading that gave me a chubby. That was my wheelhouse when I was a consultant. These places often find the need to implement security after the fact. They can't usually afford to hire adequate employees to actually figure out how to build a security program so they just throw money at consultants to design their program. The newly hired security leadership usually doesn't know what the fuck they are doing so it becomes a buffet for a security consulting firm.

Raining Money GIF by AppSumo

• Haha 2

Guest Lobo

Statistically speaking one of these fuel hoarders is gonna park their barrels next to their meth lab.  And Fourth of July come early.  

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

These folks have the brain capacity to fill a barrel, plastic container, or trash bag with gas.

Do they now have enough capacity to siphon the gas into their gas tank?

That's been my first thought every time I've seen one of those pictures. "How the fuck do you plan on getting that into your car's tank?" 

2 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

That's been my first thought every time I've seen one of those pictures. "How the fuck do you plan on getting that into your car's tank?" 

Mine was over under on how long before we hear a report of cars suddenly exploding all over the eastern seaboard.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, F250 said:

I've heard the same, IT was breached but not OT. Which doesn't really surprise me that much. It's pretty common for this to happen on the IT side while OT is left alone. I've responded to several incidents where the IT was breached and OT was untouched despite there being poor segmentation. No real reason for attackers to stop in IT other than avoiding the hornets nest it would stir. My theory was always that no one outside of state actors were going to fuck with OT and the criminal groups would stick with the IT soft underbelly.

So no Stuxnet counter fire possibility here?

14 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So no Stuxnet counter fire possibility here?

Nah, more than likely this was someone just doing a smash and grab without paying too much attention to the company they were attacking.

State actors often breach the OT network and just lay low and don't fuck with shit waiting for some Order 66 to come. I doubt this was a government sanctioned attack.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Man, I'd love to know more about this cryptolocker attack. What was the entry vector? How did it spread? How the shit did they not detect this happening? Do they not have a NOC/SOC??

I mean the past 10 years experts have been yelling about how vulnerable our infrastructure is to outside attack.

42 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Man, I'd love to know more about this cryptolocker attack. What was the entry vector? How did it spread? How the shit did they not detect this happening? Do they not have a NOC/SOC??

Guarantee they phished some 60-something who clicked on a URL and downloaded the package. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Guarantee they phished some 60-something who clicked on a URL and downloaded the package. 

I agree - I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd bet the endpoints were the vulnerability in this hack, not the network itself. It's crazy how simple it is to enforce endpoint protection for a fleet of managed devices, but I also know how many businesses DON'T take such precautions. It's usually smaller businesses and older businesses that lag behind on basic security best practices.

Gonna be a very interesting post-mortem whenever we get more details

SIAP

Pipeline may have been shut down because hacker hit company’s billing system and execs were afraid they wouldn’t be able to bill people correctly

New details from within Colonial Pipeline have come to light surrounding the decision to shut off supply. Those briefed on the matter have suggested that fuel flows were shut down due to the company's billing system being compromised. Company officials were reportedly concerned that they would not be able to accurately bill customers for fuel delivered, and chose to stop delivery instead.

No evidence available has pointed to the pipeline's operational systems actually being compromised. Of course, in the wake of the initial hack, the full scale of the ransomware's penetration into company systems would have been unknown. Thus, the decision to shutdown could easily be explained as taking a highly cautious approach.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40583/the-colonial-pipeline-is-finally-back-online-and-pumping-gas

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

ERCOT Governor-appointed officials were unavailable to comment on this possibility as all passed out from post-climax trauma with notes saying “Holy shit; that’s a thing?”

18 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

SIAP

Pipeline may have been shut down because hacker hit company’s billing system and execs were afraid they wouldn’t be able to bill people correctly

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40583/the-colonial-pipeline-is-finally-back-online-and-pumping-gas

a quick scan of their careers reveals they are running legacy oracle

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Most of the successful phishing attacks I've seen over the past few years have been that - board of director types and senior management, who either don't get cybersecurity training or don't pay attention when they do.  

• Like 1