Meanwhile, in Jerusalem...

Anastasis

https://www.thedailybeast.com/al-aqsa-mosque-in-jerusalem-turned-into-a-war-zone-videos-show?

The third-holiest site in Islam—the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem—was turned into a chaotic battlefield Monday as Israeli police responded violently to Palestinian protesters, injuring more than 300 people.

In recent days, Jerusalem has been suffering its worst violence for years, sparked by incendiary plans to evict dozens of Palestinians from an Arab area in the east of the city and hand their homes to Israelis. The crisis worsened Monday ahead of the nationalist Jerusalem Day Flag March, which marks Israel’s capture of East Jerusalem in the 1960s.

According to the Associated Press, more than 305 Palestinians were injured in Monday’s violence alone, including over 200 who have been hospitalized, and nine people who have been left in a serious condition. Twenty-one Israeli police are reported to have been injured.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-israel-jerusalem-076a9ec7e2bd9c065882c64a4ab820a1

JERUSALEM (AP) — Hamas militants fired dozens of rockets into Israel on Monday, including a barrage that set off air raid sirens as far away as Jerusalem, after hundreds of Palestinians were hurt in clashes with Israeli police at a flashpoint religious site in the contested holy city.

The rocket fire drew heavy Israeli retaliation in the Gaza Strip. Health officials said at least 20 people, including nine children, were killed in fighting, making it one of the bloodiest days of battle between the bitter enemies in several years.

The fighting escalated already heightened tensions throughout the region following weeks of confrontations between Israeli police and Palestinian protesters in Jerusalem. Those confrontations, focused around a disputed hilltop compound in Jerusalem’s Old City, have threatened to spark a wider conflict.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/world/middleeast/jerusalem-protests-aqsa-palestinians.html

Gaza Militants Fire Rockets at Jerusalem; Israel Responds With Airstrikes

Gaza officials say nine people were killed. The exchange followed clashes between the Israeli police and Palestinian protesters at Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem after a week of increasing tensions.

Edited by Anastasis

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, the good thing is that this will surely all end well.

No issues at all with attacking one of the holiest sites in the muslim world, can't see how that will create any blowback.

This planet is.....not good.

not my words, so not sure if true but "Started at the holiest day of the week, in the holiest part of the holiest month, in one of the 3 holiest mosques"

1 minute ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

could I get sugar on one side, chocolate chip on the other .... so both sides are similarly awesome?

Even better, we can sell the sugar to one side, and the chocolate chips to the other, and profit off both while stoking a sugar cookie vs. chocolate chip debate, as long as the international currency remains wonka bucks. American foreign policy!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Even better, we can sell the sugar to one side, and the chocolate chips to the other, and profit off both while stoking a sugar cookie vs. chocolate chip debate, as long as the international currency remains wonka bucks. American foreign policy!

I like the way you cheney

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

not that it means much but most of my American Jewish friends I went to Israel with are really fucking tired of Israel rn. 

That's actually a microcosm of American Jews in general. And you worded it perfectly, too. It's not so much that they suddenly support Palestinian self-determination, but their active support for the Zionist government has certainly become less active.

40 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

That's actually a microcosm of American Jews in general. And you worded it perfectly, too. It's not so much that they suddenly support Palestinian self-determination, but their active support for the Zionist government has certainly become less active.

I feel like there are many examples in some book or something to point to which informs a trope around Jewish impatience and ungratefulness. Maybe it's a Woody Allen thing. Or maybe it's the Torah? Definitely the Pentateuch. Are those the same thing?

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

In fact it couldn't be a "violent and brutal apartheid state" without the US.

Just curious but what do you think would happen if Israel wasn’t an apartheid state?  Not saying I agree with the way they are doing things with the Palestinians but if the Jews let the Arabs take full control of Israel and the government how does that end for the jews living there?  I am guessing that most Jews that look back at history will assume it doesn’t end well for them which kind of means they have to remain that apartheid state in order to exist. 

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just curious but what do you think would happen if Israel wasn’t an apartheid state?  Not saying I agree with the way they are doing things with the Palestinians but if the Jews let the Arabs take full control of Israel

it’s not just their conduct inside of Israel that makes them an apartheid state, although that alone qualifies. There’s also the aspect of how they’ve militarily occupied the whole of the West Bank, the whole of Gaza, and the whole of East Jerusalem. Israel has not one atom of sovereignty over those area, but they pretend to vis a vis their actions. The label of “apartheid state” is just understood to mean both Israel and Palestine as both are defined by the pre-June 4 1967 borders.

As to such conduct being necessary for survival, that’s absurd and any honest military expert would tell you that. 

Edited by hpslugga

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just curious but what do you think would happen if Israel wasn’t an apartheid state?  Not saying I agree with the way they are doing things with the Palestinians but if the Jews let the Arabs take full control of Israel and the government how does that end for the jews living there?  I am guessing that most Jews that look back at history will assume it doesn’t end well for them which kind of means they have to remain that apartheid state in order to exist. 

Arabs are only about 20% of the Israeli population. In what world would treating them like equal citizens result in them "tak[ing] full control"?

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Arabs are only about 20% of the Israeli population. In what world would treating them like equal citizens result in them "tak[ing] full control"?

One full of morons. Who is advocating for full Arab control of ALL of Israel and not just actually letting them live in Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem without Israeli military occupation? 

Anyways, from what I briefly read, it sounds like Hamas started it (this round of fighting, at least) and if they wanna FAAFO, Israel will finish it.

That said, the root problem seems to be Palestine can't accept defeat and still wants to fight for what they've lost.

Israel also captured the West Bank and Gaza in 1967. It later annexed east Jerusalem and considers the entire city its capital. The Palestinians seek all three areas for a future state, with east Jerusalem as their capital.

The world should just get out of their way and let them have a fair fight (no women/kids, etc.) then and whoever wins, wins and the other can shut up and deal with it until they can fight again and win.

35 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The world should just get out of their way and let them have a fair fight (no women/kids, etc.) then and whoever wins, wins and the other can shut up and deal with it until they can fight again and win.

Has nothing to do with the law.

43 minutes ago, Js1 said:

One full of morons. Who is advocating for full Arab control of ALL of Israel and not just actually letting them live in Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem without Israeli military occupation? 

I mean one could argue that the most fringe elements of the BDS movement tacitly supports that, but they constitute a very small percentage and pale miserably in comparison to their counterparts, which of course are Israeli Jews who get a woody thinking about a Greater Israel.

50 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Israel should leave the occupied territories or annex them. 

Also, it would be nice if they United States would actually get out of their way. But we all know that's not going to happen.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Israel should leave the occupied territories or annex them. 

Also, it would be nice if they United States would actually get out of their way. But we all know that's not going to happen.

I actually agree with you 100% here. US, everyone stay out of it and let them fight it out. Whoever wins, wins. 

Personally, I think Israel would demolish Palestine/Hamas in a fair fight without interference and in short order.

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I actually agree with you 100% here. US, everyone stay out of it and let them fight it out. Whoever wins, wins. 

Personally, I think Israel would demolish Palestine/Hamas in a fair fight without interference and in short order.

And then what? Annexation or sovereignty for Palestine?

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with the law. That prediction/hypothetical is about as useful as an asshole on an elbow.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, when we supply one side with a mile deep stack of advanced weapon systems, F-15s, etc., and do everything possible to ensure that the other side has no access to arms at all.......damn right the side with F-15s will win.  But then, that's not a fair fight.  That's a big part of the point.

This^

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Well a not so insignificant number in this here country think a bunch of haggard women and children from them Mexican countries like Costa Salvador and Puerto Rico are going to overthrow America.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, when we supply one side with a mile deep stack of advanced weapon systems, F-15s, etc., and do everything possible to ensure that the other side has no access to arms at all.......damn right the side with F-15s will win.  But then, that's not a fair fight.  That's a big part of the point.

So then you want to give Hamas one ally? how do you sufficiently handicap this then?

Then again, I guess all is fair in war (and love).