Former Hawaii QB Colt Brennan, dead at 37

Don Johnson

1 minute ago, Stinkpalm said:

Can we speculate on this one?

From the article:

He was 37 years old. Details about his passing were not immediately available, but Brennan is believed to have been at a rehabilitation facility in California at the time of his death.

Juts from reading his Wikipedia, he had a bad car crash in 2010 and claimed it messed him up pretty bad mentally (quote below).  Since then he's had a number of issues, usually alcohol related.  You can kind of guess how this likely ended, without knowing.

All I know is I woke up, six, seven days later, [...] and I was — and I still am — a different person. I suffered minor TBI — traumatic brain injury. I just have a small scar, you know, on my brain, but it's in an area that makes you impulsive and emotional. I've had to learn how to control that

Edited by Don Johnson

16 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Didn't he beat Colt's win record or something? Or was it passing yards/TDs?

Brennan owns the career completion percentage record but he finished playing before CMc did so not sure how he "beat" one of Colt's records. 

Brennan - 70.4% (2005-2007)
McCoy - 70.3% (2006-2009)

Damn RIP Colt

And man that makes me feel old , I remember being in a bar in Maui watching the Warriors beat the Huskies the game that got them into the sugar bowl if i recall correctly. Those Warrior teams were electric , had it all offence swagger

5 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

He was found AT the rehab center? Damn, that sucks.

Just had a friend we know do a ayahuasca trip in Costa Rica last month...was fighting depression.  As soon as they got back to the hotel he jumped.  Rehab is touch and go, that's why there should be a lot of supervision.  We are centuries behind in how we treat mental health compared to physical ailments...

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Didn't he beat Colt's win record or something? Or was it passing yards/TDs?

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Brennan owns the career completion percentage record but he finished playing before CMc did so not sure how he "beat" one of Colt's records. 

Brennan - 70.4% (2005-2007)
McCoy - 70.3% (2006-2009)

What he's remembering is that McCoy was ahead of Brennan before the 2009 Big 12 title game. So Brennan's career mark did sort of "pass" McCoy's but really McCoy's mark fell behind Brennan's.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Sad news. I remember that Sugar Bowl season pretty well. I travelled out of Houston the day after that game, and my plane had a lot of sad Hawaii fans on board. I respected them for still rocking their colors in defeat.

This news gave me something like Deja Vu. I thought, "didn't something happen to another Hawaii QB fairly recently?" But I can't find anything, so I must have been thinking about Brennan's car accident back in 2010. Weird. That was a long time ago.

Edited by CurlyDumps
removed "Funny story," because it wasn't funny or a story.

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Juts from reading his Wikipedia, he had a bad car crash in 2010 and claimed it messed him up pretty bad mentally (quote below).  Since then he's had a number of issues, usually alcohol related.  You can kind of guess how this likely ended, without knowing.

All I know is I woke up, six, seven days later, [...] and I was — and I still am — a different person. I suffered minor TBI — traumatic brain injury. I just have a small scar, you know, on my brain, but it's in an area that makes you impulsive and emotional. I've had to learn how to control that

I saw this happen with my wife's uncle after he was in a serious car accident. She would say sometimes that it was like her uncle died in the accident, and now there was this stranger walking around in his skin.