Former Hawaii QB Colt Brennan, dead at 37

Don Johnson

7 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Juts from reading his Wikipedia, he had a bad car crash in 2010 and claimed it messed him up pretty bad mentally (quote below).  Since then he's had a number of issues, usually alcohol related.  You can kind of guess how this likely ended, without knowing.

All I know is I woke up, six, seven days later, [...] and I was — and I still am — a different person. I suffered minor TBI — traumatic brain injury. I just have a small scar, you know, on my brain, but it's in an area that makes you impulsive and emotional. I've had to learn how to control that

I’m very sorry to hear this. 37yrs old. Damn. By 37 I had been married three years and we had a beautiful 3yo Daughter (who’s going to be enrolled in McCombs this fall yay!!)  I was in the throes of parenthood and so looking forward to more life. ugh...This is horrible news and quite honestly, a scenario with which I really struggle.

Depending on one’s faith/beliefs, the taking of ones own life is just.NOT.good from an eternal standpoint. 
(IF this is what we could deduce as having happened)... But it this?  It was caused by a freaking car accident....a scar on the area of the brain that controls impulsive and emotional control.  Man, I just REALLY struggle with this one. So sad to hear. 
I pray, like really earnestly pray that he’s at rest with God, now.  

Edited by NTVTXN
Apologies for getting speculative and “deep”, here.
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

QBR is all that matters!!!!!!!

Craig Krenzel’s first pass in the NFL went for a TD down the left sideline for the Chicago Bears.

I hope Justin Fields has a more successful NFL career playing for the Bears than any former Buckeye because my school isn’t known for producing successful NFL QB’s.

But that’s beside the point. It makes me feel old and sad that Colt Brennan passed away. I’ve been near the stadium but never saw a game there. I think it would be great if UH fielded a championship team.

Remember Colt’s criticism of the UH program back in 2007?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story?id=2860691

You’re living in paradise. Things should be better.

Shit. I was at that 08 sugar bowl game. Sat in the Georgia section. It reeked of Copenhagen and whiskey. We were on the upper deck and this dude who was definitely in the KKK just launched his beer bottle at kick off down to the lower deck. Then I was exposed to Georgia trash again in 2018/19. That sugar bowl they broke out the “SEC!!!” Chants. Just a truly shitty fan base. 

Sucks to hear about Brennan. Fucking fentanyl. That shit has killed a couple people I know. Can’t stand that shit 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Troy got sick and lost the starting job to Joe Flacco. Did you know that?

Now let’s compare arrests.

You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. Fuck off. Just straight fuck off. Comparing Vince and Troy fucking Smith. “Let’s compare arrests!!!!” Fucking douchebag. Let’s compare couch burnings on campus. Let’s compare how visiting fans are treated in Austin vs. how they’re treated in Columbus. Just shut the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s too bad he didn’t dominate the way Vince Young did. 

Offensive rookie of the year, a couple of pro bowls, winning nearly 2/3 of his starts; yeah, the guy really stunk up the league.  Probably wishes he had had Troy Smith's career.

I met Colt Brennan on a flight from LA to Honolulu back in his heyday.  He was on his way back from the ESPY awards.  He was a really nice guy and seemed to have the world in his hands at the time.  We talked football and he thought Texas football was cool as shit.  Very sad to hear how the rest of his story went.  RIP

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Troy got sick and lost the starting job to Joe Flacco. Did you know that?

Now let’s compare arrests.

Smith was pulled over at a random DUI checkpoint on Riverside Drive, just north of Bethel Road, about 9:30 p.m. The checkpoint was run jointly by Perry Township police and the sheriff’s office as part of its DUI Task Force.

Franklin County Chief Deputy Jim Gilbert said authorities smelled a strong odor of marijuana in Smith’s vehicle. Smith, who was driving alone, failed a field sobriety test. Police recovered a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia from Smith’s vehicle.

Smith, 33, who lives near Westerville, also was charged with driving with a suspended license and having drug paraphernalia. He was issued a summons to appear in court and was picked up by his girlfriend, Gilbert said. 

Smith’s driver’s license had been suspended in April, after he was charged in a hit-skip incident in Blendon Township. At that time, he pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor charge of hit and run and was fined $300, according to records in Franklin County Municipal Court.

tim and eric oops GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Maybe trying to get them addicted to yet another drug?

If you buy fentanyl laced weed or pain pills and you don’t know it how do you get hooked on something when you don’t know what it is?  This seems to be what is happening. 

Edited by Hook1997

8 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If you buy fentanyl laced weed or pain pills and you don’t know it how do you get hook on something when you don’t know what it is?  This seems to be what is happening. 

The fuck I know. Maybe just so you need more of what that guy sold you. I’m the wrong guy to ask about illegal drug use. Just spitballing. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Haha 1

People are selling Fentanyl laced pills because pharm regulations have locked down all the real shit and so the demand on the streets has dramatically outgrown the available supply. To fill this void dealers ship in Fentanyl from China for cheap as fuck and try to dilute it and mix it into aspirin or whatever to pass off as "oxys". These pills are often haphazardly mixed and overdosed and kill people that thought they were taking an oxy

• Like 2

Fentanyl works pretty good in EMS for pain relief it’s strong as hell and in the correct doses less chance of snowing someone and sending them into respiratory arrest like morphine can and it has a very short working period given iv it only lasts 15-20 minutes

Appreciate that bricktop but that info is still incorrect. As someone who has been addicted to fentanyl a few years back, this is not medicinal fentanyl. These are fentanyl analogues that basically have complete different chemical makeups and therefore react much differently than pharm fentanyl. For people wondering why, the explanation above is pretty spot on. Government shut down Prescription on opioids around 2010, added corn starch to oxy and other pain pills to make them tamper proof. Many people, myself included, had nowhere else to turn other than heroin. Eventually people started mixing fentanyl into Heroin to make it stronger and cheaper. Each batch is different, there are 10+ different analogues, so much can go wrong. I shouldn’t be here, so many others should. It’s terrible. And yes, the rehab business is from top to bottom a joke and has a long ways to go compared to the rest of the health world. Another person dead from this addiction, Rest In Peace, life with addiction is tough as is. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, cmontexas said:

People are selling Fentanyl laced pills because pharm regulations have locked down all the real shit and so the demand on the streets has dramatically outgrown the available supply. To fill this void dealers ship in Fentanyl from China for cheap as fuck and try to dilute it and mix it into aspirin or whatever to pass off as "oxys". These pills are often haphazardly mixed and overdosed and kill people that thought they were taking an oxy

Fuck China.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

If you buy fentanyl laced weed or pain pills and you don’t know it how do you get hooked on something when you don’t know what it is?  This seems to be what is happening. 

It’s an old trick. Look into fast food. 

you are activating parts of the brain over time that will overrule your conscience ability to deny yourself the stimulus. 

Once that happens people literally care and are pissed that their shit was spiked but still come back multiple times a week. 

Getting someone addicted to something is the best way to control them

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Craig Krenzel’s first pass in the NFL went for a TD down the left sideline for the Chicago Bears.

I hope Justin Fields has a more successful NFL career playing for the Bears than any former Buckeye because my school isn’t known for producing successful NFL QB’s.

But that’s beside the point. It makes me feel old and sad that Colt Brennan passed away. I’ve been near the stadium but never saw a game there. I think it would be great if UH fielded a championship team.

Remember Colt’s criticism of the UH program back in 2007?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story?id=2860691

You’re living in paradise. Things should be better.

Eh, their attitude is "You're living in paradise.  Why bitch?"

U of H is probably the most poorly-funded University of State Name school in the country.  That state just does not prioritize higher education at all. You'll see private high school window stickers on cars frequently (Punahou, Iolani, St. Louis, Mid-Pac, Kamehameha), but almost never UH stickers. 

Appreciate that bricktop but that info is still incorrect. As someone who has been addicted to fentanyl a few years back, this is not medicinal fentanyl. These are fentanyl analogues that basically have complete different chemical makeups and therefore react much differently than pharm fentanyl. For people wondering why, the explanation above is pretty spot on. Government shut down Prescription on opioids around 2010, added corn starch to oxy and other pain pills to make them tamper proof. Many people, myself included, had nowhere else to turn other than heroin. Eventually people started mixing fentanyl into Heroin to make it stronger and cheaper. Each batch is different, there are 10+ different analogues, so much can go wrong. I shouldn’t be here, so many others should. It’s terrible. And yes, the rehab business is from top to bottom a joke and has a long ways to go compared to the rest of the health world. Another person dead from this addiction, Rest In Peace, life with addiction is tough as is. 

The info is correct in and of itself in the way we use it and while of course I agree with you anything made in an actual lab Is cleaner and more controlled it doesn’t change the fact that fentanyl is a synthetic opioid itself which leads to easier less involved and way less expensive replication, I feel for you man have lots of friends who went down that road in pain management and never came back there is no reason something that dangerous should be so easily made on the street, the scary one is dilaudid there are 3 ER’s in the Houston area that I know of that post signs stating they don’t prescribe it, created instant addicts overnight

These are the discussions we should be having, and not just on this thread....I'm glad we're mature enough to handle this without jumping all over eachother.

There was a meth/fentanyl ring busted awhile back at UT.  I can only assume it's the tip of the iceberg of what's still happening on campus, let alone the rest of the U.S.

Parents need to get smart and keep their kids educated.  Growing up, we all had to deal with these same pressures, just the drugs were different.  This is serious shit folks, these particular drugs don't fuck around. 

Fentanyl and its derivatives seem to be a common thread in a lot of these overdose deaths. They just drop fucking dead without any time to react. Many times they think they are taking oxy or something but it's fake oxy laced with fentanyl and every batch has a different amount with the line between getting high and overdosing being razor thin. 

12 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Fentanyl and its derivatives seem to be a common thread in a lot of these overdose deaths. They just drop fucking dead without any time to react. Many times they think they are taking oxy or something but it's fake oxy laced with fentanyl and every batch has a different amount with the line between getting high and overdosing being razor thin. 

Happened to wife's cousin.  He was probably more aware of risks than most as in his teens apparently a relatively successful dealer on east coast.  Then moved, cleaned up his act, married, successful in real job and took what he thought was oxy to relax on a Friday afternoon (he got from a small time close friend dealer he knew well) and wife found him an hour later dead in bathroom presumably panicking.  Autopsy came back laced with fentanyl as expected.  Shit is just crazy.  Shit we didn't really have to deal with growing up.  Watched a 60 minutes or similar story on it last year and shit is just getting flown in from China via fedex and presumably also in bulk across the Mexico border.  No idea how this problem can get solved.

Oxy is pretty much as bad as they come too it’s a major respiratory depressant on its own and when combined with booze It’s amplified lots of young deaths just happen by falling asleep then they stop breathing, doesn’t take long after that