HBO's Crime of the Century (opiod documentary)

mchookem

i mean, this is RICO organized crime shit.

image.png.40bc600c3d972e933675640deb5d0259.png

i kind of knew, in general...but the extent is shocking. criminals up and down the entire healthcare chain. and some of the public officials tasked with protecting the public.

Edited by mchookem

Yeah, it was a great documentary. We all knew pharma was evil, but this really exposed them.

The politicians on both sides of the aisle are all in bed with big pharma.

So now translate this corruption to the pushing of the COVID vaccines. Same thing. I'm sure bribes are being thrown around left and right to doctors and politicians.

hmmm. well, as someone who believes in the vaccine efficacy, has watched this doc and has also followed the numerous 60 Minutes and other stories on the science of the vaccine development, Operation Warp Speed, and the rollout...i'll just say that while it's always good to question, i doubt any of the companies were doing rap videos, hiring strippers, and paying doctors to push it. in fact...doctor offices were the last folks to actually even get the vaccine. i think attempts to literally equate the two as 'the same thing' gets into conspiracy CR territory.

Just now, Deej said:

I worked at a doctor's office in college and very attractive reps used to drop off boxes of samples. 

i mean, Insys quite literally hired a stripper to be a regional sales manager over a third of the U.S.

because she could 'relate well' lol.

10 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Yeah, it was a great documentary. We all knew pharma was evil, but this really exposed them.

The politicians on both sides of the aisle are all in bed with big pharma.

So now translate this corruption to the pushing of the COVID vaccines. Same thing. I'm sure bribes are being thrown around left and right to doctors and politicians.

spacer.png

54 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I'm sure Big Pharma's motives are purely altruistic where the vaccines are concerned.

Of course they're not.

But, in a lot of cases, the profit motive and the "right thing" align.  Actually, in more cases than not.

We paint "pharma" with too broad a brush, although there are similarities.  Purdue Pharma was not really a pharma in the sense of Pfizer.  But there are some similarities.

• Like 1

hmmm. well, as someone who believes in the vaccine efficacy, has watched this doc and has also followed the numerous 60 Minutes and other stories on the science of the vaccine development, Operation Warp Speed, and the rollout...i'll just say that while it's always good to question, i doubt any of the companies were doing rap videos, hiring strippers, and paying doctors to push it. in fact...doctor offices were the last folks to actually even get the vaccine. i think attempts to literally equate the two as 'the same thing' gets into conspiracy CR territory.
And in both cases, the drugs (whether opioids or vaccines) do what they were designed to do. But in the case of opiods, that is cause dependence and destroy lives. In the case of vaccines, it is save lives.

anyway, back to the doc...

the part that made me scream out loud was the doctors giving the pharma companies access to their patient's records so they could call the insurance companies and pretend to be in the doctor's office and justify how the patient met the conditions for the prescriptions (narrator: they didn't).

they had to know something about the patient's condition to make it plausible. the fucking pharma call center was making those calls. and the doctors were sharing the info.

gotdamn that's some next level evil shit 😳😡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Of course they're not.

But, in a lot of cases, the profit motive and the "right thing" align.  Actually, in more cases than not.

We paint "pharma" with too broad a brush, although there are similarities.  Purdue Pharma was not really a pharma in the sense of Pfizer.  But there are some similarities.

Are you 11 years old? 

Watched part 1 last night.  Fucking hell.  Straight as dope dealing.  How about the Florida Guinea pig dude they were pumping 22-25 160mg pills twice daily.  How his kidneys didn't fail right then and there is amazing.

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Are you 11 years old? 

I'm sure you have a point.  Purdue wasn't a heavy research "pharma" like Pfizer, they were a bit more like Shkreli's outfit, plying a niche market (one drug class: painkillers) with a handful of patents or other exclusive rights (FDA mfg. certification in Shkreli's case).

Like all pharmas, their marketing practices were highly questionable, but "real" research pharmas divide their unethical practices among multiple drugs, many or most of which don't have the potential for lethality that Oxycontin had.  And their ethics are less compromised than Purdue's, I think as a general proposition.

Purdue Pharma is to big pharma more broadly as Platoon is to Vietnam War movies:  a concentration of the evils turned up to 11.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm sure you have a point.  Purdue wasn't a heavy research "pharma" like Pfizer, they were a bit more like Shkreli's outfit, plying a niche market (one drug class: painkillers) with a handful of patents or other exclusive rights (FDA mfg. certification in Shkreli's case).

Like all pharmas, their marketing practices were highly questionable, but "real" research pharmas divide their unethical practices among multiple drugs, many or most of which don't have the potential for lethality that Oxycontin had.  And their ethics are less compromised than Purdue's, I think as a general proposition.

Purdue Pharma is to big pharma more broadly as Platoon is to Vietnam War movies:  a concentration of the evils turned up to 11.

Yep.  Just like throwing all drug dealers in the same boat.  Sorry the local street guy dealing pot isn’t the same as the one peddling Chinese synthetic heroin...