Knee issue. Mcl, acl, or am I a whiner?

Whiner of course.

Going to Colorado with the fam in 5 weeks. Lots of rafting and hiking.

Anyhow I think I screwed my knee Saturday. Stepped in a hole.

So from my perspective it's my left knee. In particular about 2 inches down and to the right (inside) it is ridiculously tender.

Is that acl or ncl? My point is, get a knee brace and don't be a pussy until after vacation so I don't screw it up for my boys and wife? Pain is fine. I dealt with 5 torn ligs and torn cuff last year so I can deal with it.

Or, is the inside of the knee something serious. I believe the outside is the issue.

I fucked up my knee about 3 months ago and have been letting it rest. Haven't gotten an MRI yet but thinking about it now. Not in pain but can't squat without making adjustments which is concerning to me after this amount of time. 

Keep us updated 

FWIW, 9mo ago, one of our tennis players, computer geek, 38, average build, tore his acl on the court. For the last couple of months, he's been out there on the courts running around like a mad man. No brace, no neoprene, nothing. Absolutely ZERO signs that he ever hurt his knee. 
Job Elway played his whole career without an ACL.

23 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

FWIW, 9mo ago, one of our tennis players, computer geek, 38, average build, tore his acl on the court. For the last couple of months, he's been out there on the courts running around like a mad man. No brace, no neoprene, nothing. Absolutely ZERO signs that he ever hurt his knee. 

He have surgery?  One can play some sports / physical activities, but I'm not so sure tennis would be one w/o a reconstruction.

Edit: Even with surgery, 7 months seems awfully quick.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

On 5/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, markstanco said:

Whiner of course.

Going to Colorado with the fam in 5 weeks. Lots of rafting and hiking.

Anyhow I think I screwed my knee Saturday. Stepped in a hole.

So from my perspective it's my left knee. In particular about 2 inches down and to the right (inside) it is ridiculously tender.

Is that acl or ncl? My point is, get a knee brace and don't be a pussy until after vacation so I don't screw it up for my boys and wife? Pain is fine. I dealt with 5 torn ligs and torn cuff last year so I can deal with it.

Or, is the inside of the knee something serious. I believe the outside is the issue.

There's really no way to diagnose this based on a description.  When I blew out my left knee, the doc said he thought I might have a torn ACL but wouldn't know for sure until he opened me up.  I only found out after waking up from surgery.  When I blew out my right knee, I was pretty sure it was a torn ACL based on what I felt the first time.  Again, the ortho didn't know for sure until surgery.  (Apparently, I asked the nurse at least 30 times if if was a reconstruction before coming out of the anesthetic fog.)  Note:  I did not have an MRI either time.  Docs just did some manipulation motions to check.  

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My bad.  One more thing.  My injuries were in the 90's, so I'm sure things have improved since then re: identification w/o an MRI or surgery.

Drawer test and imaging are still being used.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

He have surgery?  One can play some sports / physical activities, but I'm not so sure tennis would be one w/o a reconstruction.

Edit: Even with surgery, 7 months seems awfully quick.

Pretty sure. He had to be helped off the court at the time. Didn't see him for months. I think it was a complete tear too. I'm afraid to bring it up again because I don't want to jinx him. He doesn't appear to be worried about it. He'll run full speed and stop on a dime. If I get a chance, I'll get more details.

• Hook 'Em 1

If it is meniscus and it locks occasionally, don't panic.

The wave of pain passes quickly.

Just reverse the motion that caused the locking to unlock it. Do it once you can breathe normally and relax. The unlocking is mostly painless.

Mostly . . . 

Good luck with it. Hopefully it just was bruise (not a bone bruise, though). 

Edited by washparkhorn

Just found this thread...

I'm 44, in decent shape and active. I had a torn meniscus in January. Left knee was swelling and felt like it was loose or unstable. Got the MRI and x-rays and it showed a torn meniscus. Bit the bullet and had surgery. I went back 8 weeks later and had a check up. Doc says everything looks good and since I was walking normally but still a little sore I could go back to my regular activity, which was tennis twice a week and golf occasionally. 

In April, the knee started to swell again and now it feels the same as before the surgery. It swells and fucking hurts to walk around. The swelling goes down for a few days but the pain/instability remains. If I use it for any activity, say mowing the lawn, it swells back up. I went back to the doc and they tell me there is a little arthritis and to give it a little rest, do some physical therapy, take some anti-inflammatory meds for a while, but nothing has helped. It feels like the entire knee is in pain. I feels like I can do everything with it except really turn to the inside (go hard right), but the pain is really debilitating. I don't run anymore and really only play tennis. 

I'm kicking myself for not getting a second opinion, but maybe I've torn the other side of the knee's meniscus? I don't know, but being an active person, this shit is killing me. Anyone else deal with something like this? The doc said I could go back to normal activity, but should I have just stayed off it for 6 months?

Just found this thread...
I'm 44, in decent shape and active. I had a torn meniscus in January. Left knee was swelling and felt like it was loose or unstable. Got the MRI and x-rays and it showed a torn meniscus. Bit the bullet and had surgery. I went back 8 weeks later and had a check up. Doc says everything looks good and since I was walking normally but still a little sore I could go back to my regular activity, which was tennis twice a week and golf occasionally. 
In April, the knee started to swell again and now it feels the same as before the surgery. It swells and fucking hurts to walk around. The swelling goes down for a few days but the pain/instability remains. If I use it for any activity, say mowing the lawn, it swells back up. I went back to the doc and they tell me there is a little arthritis and to give it a little rest, do some physical therapy, take some anti-inflammatory meds for a while, but nothing has helped. It feels like the entire knee is in pain. I feels like I can do everything with it except really turn to the inside (go hard right), but the pain is really debilitating. I don't run anymore and really only play tennis. 

I'm kicking myself for not getting a second opinion, but maybe I've torn the other side of the knee's meniscus? I don't know, but being an active person, this shit is killing me. Anyone else deal with something like this? The doc said I could go back to normal activity, but should I have just stayed off it for 6 months?

I couldn’t kneel on my repaired knee for about a year after the surgery, but could run 3-5 weeks or something after. Honestly don’t remember if I had swelling persist since I stopped doing a lot of knee strenuous activities and really only doing extended rehab stuff. Maybe it’s too soon for tennis? Not sure.

Public service announcement of high importance for stubborn men) i.e. all men.

if you injure your knee, at a minimum don’t do anything at all on it for 4-8 weeks. Preferably, go get it checked by a doctor. 

Playing intramural football at UT I hyperextended it. Trying to shake it off, I went back into the game and properly effed it up good.

My knee surgeon said half the time guys only partially tear the knee but insist on continuing anyway, tearing it completely. A partial tear can often heal on its own. But once it’s fully torn, it’s major surgery. 

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

I am a doctor (of jurisprudence), so I can say based on my extensive years of experience that it is mostly likely knee cancer. 

Oh thank God! I was scared it was Knee AIDS. 

Edited by Droopy
from your Mom