Falcon's Matt Ryan is the First $30 Mill/Year QB

Vic Mackey

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Probably should only get paid for the first 3 quarters of the year 

He was my Fantasy QB for the first few weeks of the year and stunk up the place. Always underperformed and finally made the permanent switch to my ~10th Round backup QB for the rest of the season...

...a 2nd year player by the name of Carson Wentz.

Dumpled Ryan late in the season because Blake Bortles was outperforming him. I do no trust Ryan as a top QB... but the Falcons don't care what I think.

Edited by Napoleon

More Blank on Ryan: ““So, yes, we were very generous with Matt and I think he’ll be able to feed those new twin babies...

Its tough out there. 15 years ago Latrell Sprewell couldn't feed his kids at $7,000,000 a year. with price of living undoubtedly going up and having twins...how in the world is Matt going to do this at $30,000,000 a year? 

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Mr Regular Season.

He's had 2 good seasons in his career. 2012 and 2016. Both ended in massive choke jobs. We all know the 28-3 Super Bowl lead but he also blew a 17pt lead against the Niners at home in the NFC title game. They have surrounded him with big time offensive weapons, too. So no excuses. 

23 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I thought the Falcons colors were red and black? Cause that sure seems like a blue falcon thing to do to his teammates against the salary cap...

Not everyone gets to marry a supermodel to offset the hometown discount like Tommay gives NE.

That being said, I think in football, it really does come down to grabbing what you can personally and how much you want your team to win with a better roster.

I don't begrudge Ryan for grabbing what he can, while he can, but in the out year's of this deal, he's going to probably going to wonder if it was worth it when he's throwing to JAGs while his defense get's marched up and down the field.

At some point, either QB's are going to have to start moderating their pay in order to field competitive teams, or the collective bargaining agreement is going to need to address QB pay.

Sadly...QB is the hardest job in the world. 

As in, there are only 32 positions to be filled, and probably only 10 that are really good at it. So if you are good at being an NFL QB, you're really one of the rarest people on earth. And since million pay to watch said job, the QB will be paid way more than any human should be

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You'll never win super bowls like this.  There is always going to be a well rounded team with good enough QB play that is going to be better.

Matt Ryan was never going to win a Super Bowl anyways. Might as well get the money before your career ends.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Matt Ryan was never going to win a Super Bowl anyways. Might as well get the money before your career ends.

Agree.  I'll never fault a player for signing a contract.  Just this idea that in a hard cap league devoting so much resource to one position isn't sound. 

I understand that but you would think the yearly salary would reach a ceiling at some point.

$30 million is insane but it likely doesn't make a year as the highest salary. At some point, fans and tv can pay only so much. Was just curious if anybody thought there was some magic number that would eventually act as a ceiling.