Insurance Fraud

Horn_Spanker

If you have an elderly parent with a home, please check over their homeowners policy.

In getting involved with mine, I've found what I think is fraud.  The one that stands out most, mom has DishTV, there was an endorsement covering the dish for $1,000.  Something she didn't even own!

Endorsement for furs, which she's never owned.  Coverage for dog bites, she hasn't had a dog in over 20 years.  All-Terrain vehicle which she's never owned.

Sad part is that agent is someone we've knowned (and trusted) her entire life.

16 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Sad part is that agent is someone we've knowned (and trusted) her entire life

yep. 

youre moms in the peak victimization age. Ripping them off is part of some companies profit profile. 

She’s lucky to have you to help. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not saying nothing is going on here, but those additional endorsements probably  put a total of less than $10 in the agent’s pocket.  It’s probably laziness more than anything in not reviewing the policy every so often and just letting it automatically renew.

edited to add:  if the guy really wanted to take your mom to the cleaners the life insurance/financial services lines would probably be the most profitable way to do that.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Or maybe she's just hiding all that from her son?

One of my favorite things on Surly is writing some stupid fucking joke, then seeing a couple of people rep it, then coming back and rereading it and laughing more.

Unrelated to insurance, but something to know about.

My sister had power of attorney over my (late now) Aunt's estate the past few years.  She developed Alzheimers and had to go into a home, leaving my sister to sort through everything, sell the home, etc.

ATT had been fucking over my aunt for years.  Going back for a while, they charged her for DirecTV (even though she had cable), cell service (even though she had a pre-paid plan), DSL internet service (even though she had no computer or smart phone), and assorted wifi equipment for her house (ditto), and a land line phone (that she had not used in years, since she used her cell).  The bill was around $300 per month.

None of the equipment I just listed was even found in the house, yet ATT wanted it back.

Also, get your elderly relatives pin codes for ATT (and possibly other utilities).  Because they will not cancel anything without the pin code.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Also, get your elderly relatives pin codes for ATT (and possibly other utilities).  Because they will not cancel anything without the pin code.  

ORRRR  you just move all of their funds to a different account than the one being charged and/or cancel the credit card being charged.

Then send ATT a certified get fucked message that you have notified them their customer is deceased and all services (other than basic electricity and water) are no longer needed at that address and any additional attempted charges will result in them being told to get fucked a 2nd time.

4a3bf939000341a024db6d68c201ff57.png

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

ORRRR  you just move all of their funds to a different account than the one being charged and/or cancel the credit card being charged.

Then send ATT a certified get fucked message that you have notified them their customer is deceased and all services (other than basic electricity and water) are no longer needed at that address and any additional attempted charges will result in them being told to get fucked a 2nd time.

Yep, something similar is what happened here.  The ATT bills were on autopay, so the local bank just intervened.

In one of the calls to ATT, the account representative told my sister after being informed that the ATT bill would never be paid again, she said (paraphrasing) "aren't you worried about your aunt's credit?"  To which my sister said my aunt didn't recall her name any longer, was living in a home and quite frankly, her credit score was something that really wasn't going to be a concern going forward.  Sticking to her script, she told my sister that ATT would have no choice but to report our aunt to a collection agency.  My sister hung up after that.

My sister is nicer than I am.  

• Rage+1 3

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yep, something similar is what happened here.  The ATT bills were on autopay, so the local bank just intervened.

In one of the calls to ATT, the account representative told my sister after being informed that the ATT bill would never be paid again, she said (paraphrasing) "aren't you worried about your aunt's credit?"  To which my sister said my aunt didn't recall her name any longer, was living in a home and quite frankly, her credit score was something that really wasn't going to be a concern going forward.  Sticking to her script, she told my sister that ATT would have no choice but to report our aunt to a collection agency.  My sister hung up after that.

My sister is nicer than I am.  

My 'rents didn't have any of those type of consumer accounts, just utilities and cable and one credit card.  Their electricity, gas, and water accounts were so old they didn't even use socials on them, much less passwords or PINs or anything.

The cc was with Citibank, I believe and was auto-paid out of their checking account.  I forget exactly what happened, but within a month or so of Dad's death, I realized the cc bill hadn't been debited from the bank account.  So I went to their site to login and pay and it wouldn't log me in.

Somehow or other, Citibank Visa had gotten wind that my Dad had passed and shut down the card, the account, and online access, as well as the autodebit.  When I called, they put me over into "estate/probate."  

I was prepared to just pay the balance of ~$300 or so of just miscellaneous expenses, but before I could say a thing, the guy on the phone says "I'm authorized to compromise this account for __________ (roughly half the balance)."  I think I even said, hey, I'll just pay the bill, and he repeated the offer.  So I took it. I guess it's worth it to them not to have to monitor the probate and file a claim.