What bars should I being going to in Houston?

Tex48

Graduating this May moving back home for work.  Only bars I've gone to are Kirby Icehouse and a couple random bars in Midtown.  

Where should I be going in Houston as a new grad?

What places have good weekday or weekend specials?  

For reference, mainly looking at inner-loop and West Houston. 

I’m old and married, so maybe I’m not the best person to answer this question. But I’ll try. 

Memorial : Memorial Icehouse (honorable mention to Watson’s, but it’s definitely an after work spot)

Heights : Eight Row Flint 

Townie Shitshow/Live Music : Mo’s Place in Katy 

Montrose: West Alabama Icehouse 

West U: Upstairs at Hungry’s 

Downtown : Biggio’s 

River Oaks : Lizzard’s 

Memorial Park: Canyon Creek

There are too many dive bars to name.  Every neighborhood has them. 

If you want to fill your “dance card” I’d recommend joining a rodeo committee. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m old and married, so maybe I’m not the best person to answer this question. But I’ll try. 

Memorial : Memorial Icehouse (honorable mention to Watson’s, but it’s definitely an after work spot)

Heights : Eight Row Flint 

Townie Shitshow/Live Music : Mo’s Place in Katy 

Montrose: West Alabama Icehouse 

West U: Upstairs at Hungry’s 

Downtown : Biggio’s 

River Oaks : Lizzard’s 

Memorial Park: Canyon Creek

There are too many dive bars to name.  Every neighborhood has them. 

If you want to fill your “dance card” I’d recommend joining a rodeo committee. 

Lol. Yeah man, this kid is looking for pussy. Most of the places you listed are probably going to be a big wet fart to this guy. 

Axelrad, Heights Bier Garten on Shepherd, Kirby Ice House, are probably solid spots for him, but he's going to be wanting to drink in Midtown and the like 90% of the time I'd wager.

Lizzards is still around? Well I'll be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Mcintyres, drift, bungalow are all a block or so from each other on like 19th and Beall and I’d say they trend 20-30 age. If I were right out of college and in the heights those places would be in the rotation. Mcintyres has a shitload of TVs for game watching but the douche factor can be high (no worse than anything on Washington though). Heights bier garten is a cool spot, they also have a liquor bar attached.

I’m 30 and married so my priorities may be different from yours, but I’ve been to almost all the bars listed so far and they all have good qualities. I’m not out trolling for puss though so take it fwiw. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Yeah man, this kid is looking for pussy. 

Yes I am.  

3 minutes ago, mycox said:

Pre-COVID I would say hit up downtown and walk around. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

Are you talking about the bars on main st?  I went to a bunch of those when I had a fake ID and was home for a summer.  I had a ton of fun.  Did those bars keep on gaining in popularity or did covid do them in?  

On 5/14/2021 at 12:03 AM, Tex48 said:

Yes I am.  

Are you talking about the bars on main st?  I went to a bunch of those when I had a fake ID and was home for a summer.  I had a ton of fun.  Did those bars keep on gaining in popularity or did covid do them in?  

Etex is correct. If you are looking for mid to late 20’s bitches, mcintyres and Drift down the street are a good choice. In midtown check out FAO at some point, lots of trim still waking around that area.

The creek bars are good for a brunch spot or early weekend afternoon.  Washington is played out IMO, it peaked around 2013.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Washington is very happening now, since Covid protocols started to get removed. I recently moved away from that area due to all the crime, gunshots and break-ins. Clutch and Bottled Blonde tend to attract some crazy people. This shit happened last weekend, and as you can see in the background, there are some lovely ladies who probably need a ride home after their guy got curb stomped:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CR8cnu2F8NM/?utm_medium=copy_link&fbclid=IwAR1nUv_plrV6oCdztXT6UbvlETMYpHEfmbKWxg8iVFd6nhjqkgypvnX1Fu0

Sometimes it's all about being in the right place at the right time! 

17 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Washington is very happening now, since Covid protocols started to get removed. I recently moved away from that area due to all the crime, gunshots and break-ins. Clutch and Bottled Blonde tend to attract some crazy people. This shit happened last weekend, and as you can see in the background, there are some lovely ladies who probably need a ride home after their guy got curb stomped:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CR8cnu2F8NM/?utm_medium=copy_link&fbclid=IwAR1nUv_plrV6oCdztXT6UbvlETMYpHEfmbKWxg8iVFd6nhjqkgypvnX1Fu0

Sometimes it's all about being in the right place at the right time! 

My buddy got a in a fight at the Bottle Blonde back in March.  Some guy kept on trying to flirt with his girlfriend and her friend.  He asked the guy to go away.  The guy said make me and shoved my buddy and spit in his face.  My buddy knocked him out with a single punch.  My buddy fractured his hand in the process and had to get surgery on it.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 6:40 PM, Tex48 said:

Where should I go watch us vs Piggy this Saturday?  Looking for somewhere with cheap beer in the River Oaks/Upper Kirby area.  

The weather looks pretty nice tomorrow night by September in Houston standards, which makes West Alabama tough to beat for game watching, IMO. I have heard Kirby Ice House is good but never been.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The weather looks pretty nice tomorrow night by September in Houston standards, which makes West Alabama tough to beat for game watching, IMO. I have heard Kirby Ice House is good but never been.

Ok we were already thinking of going to Kirby but I haven't been to West Alabama.  Is West Alabama cheaper and does it have a sufficient amount of tvs?  I've wanted to try it for a while.  

9 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Ok we were already thinking of going to Kirby but I haven't been to West Alabama.  Is West Alabama cheaper and does it have a sufficient amount of tvs?  I've wanted to try it for a while.  

West Alabama is cheaper for sure, but my goodness, the biggest TV there might be 50 inches.

I'd call McIntyre's in the Heights and ask if they're going to put the Arkansas game on the LED big boy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

killer tacos at west alabama. ive never noticed a tv in that place. kirby ice house will be loud as fuck

Oh I have some thoughts on Tierra Caliente. There are better and cheaper taco trucks in Houston, but TC definitely deserves credit for popularizing it with Houston gringos. I was convinced that taco trucks would food poison for years before working up some courage at TC. I would also like to thank Chula's for transforming my stomach into the lead lined bomb shelter that is today. 

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

chula's memorial city, check the soccer schedule first. no one has more tv's

I love Chula's. Good looking wait staff especially on Saturdays. I usually order chicken fajitas and bone in wings. I don't really mess with the rest of the menu. Their appetizer sampler sucks, just get chips and red/green salsa. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I love Chula's. Good looking wait staff especially on Saturdays. I usually order chicken fajitas and bone in wings. I don't really mess with the rest of the menu. Their appetizer sampler sucks, just get chips and red/green salsa. 

.wings are 1/2 on tuesdays

• 3 months later...

Help a brother out that needs to go in the complete opposite direction as OP. Trying to do a little Christmas get together with some family Saturday afternoon, I need a spot for 8 adults that’s kid friendly-ish, ranging from 6 year old to baby. Somewhere with a good (probably covered) outside area is ideal because it’s supposed to rain Saturday. Heights/oak forest/Spring branch areas are probably the sweet spot. Cottonwood is the only thing coming to mind. Y’all got anything else?

Edited by Etexhorn13

On 12/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Help a brother out that needs to go in the complete opposite direction as OP. Trying to do a little Christmas get together with some family Saturday afternoon, I need a spot for 8 adults that’s kid friendly-ish, ranging from 6 year old to baby. Somewhere with a good (probably covered) outside area is ideal because it’s supposed to rain Saturday. Heights/oak forest/Spring branch areas are probably the sweet spot. Cottonwood is the only thing coming to mind. Y’all got anything else?

I wouldn’t recommend The Branch. Ambience sucks. It’s basically a dive bar in a strange looking building. 

Live Oak Grill is pretty solid. It’s in an old house on Hempstead Road. Good patio and there are rooms with couches and coffee tables if y’all are looking for privacy. Food is pretty good. 

That strange looking building used to be a whataburger and I cant recall themexican place after but they had great mole.

It is dive barish but Kyle is good people and does alot for the community. When Im in town I usually try and stop by for a drink or 2.

3 hours ago, Smax said:

That strange looking building used to be a whataburger and I cant recall themexican place after but they had great mole.

It is dive barish but Kyle is good people and does alot for the community. When Im in town I usually try and stop by for a drink or 2.

I like what The Branch is trying to do, but holy shit that interior. Throw some couches and TVs  in there. 

Their happy hour is good. I think everything was half off, and the chow was solid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

I know it's a bit late, but Preslee's in the Heights is a nice little family friendly place to hang out and get some decent food. Nothing special on the food front, but the place is great for kids and parents. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...