The Green Knight - Arthurian Story

Captain Ron

A few years back on the old site I wondered with GoT getting everyone into fantasy period pieces if it was time for someone to take a new crack at Arthurian Legend, we got Guy Ritchie's King Arthur Legend of the Sword. In underwhelmed.

Now we have a new take and an interesting story for that take: The Green Knight. It's directed by David Lowery (The Old Man and the Gun). And I find this story interesting because it is very much more about chivalry and honor than fighting. I'm curious to see how it goes

Here is the Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJc2tH3WBw

The full trailer

8 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I think I would rather just re-watch Excalibur to get my King Arthur fix.

This looks pretty good, but Excalibur is one of the great underrated movies of the 80’s. I’m definitely having the Funeral March of Siegfried played at my funeral. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sometimes seeing the same old movie with a new title is fine. (Looking at you Wrath of Man).   But I've seen enough Arthurian moves that it has to bring something new to the table.   This trailer does that for me. Dev Patel is a good actor but I wouldn't have though to make him a Knight of the Round Table.  I'm intrigued. 

Unless the next trailer changes the whole vibe, yeah I'll see this.  Probably not in a theater, but I'll see it.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Esque said:

What in the world did I just watch. Visually stunning. Story telling is confusing and underwhelming on first watch as all get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It felt like someone asked a freshman contemporary art major taking filmmaking 101 to make the greatest movie ever.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 1

What in the world did I just watch. Visually stunning. Story telling is confusing and underwhelming on first watch as all get out.

Probably helps if you’ve read the epic poem, or have some familiarity with Arthurian legends, which to be honest, is probably a small audience.

Since this is only in theatres for now (and I’m an introvert who enjoyed watching movies from my couch for the past year), going to pull the book off the shelf and refamiliarize myself.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, this movie mostly sucked. Although parts of it were truly visually stunning, the cinematography was so masturbatory that it was largely to the detriment of the story and to the characters.

This movie is in the running for worst movie I have ever seen. So incredibly boring. Pointless slow scene after slow scene. And confusing on top of it all. I’m baffled by the IMDB rating. I think it is a case of people trolling others by rating it highly so they share the misery. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Full disclosure, I was also not high. Don't think it would have helped as I would have just gone to sleep.  

Also full disclosure, I seem to be in the minority in my love for King Arthur Legend of the Sword.  And perhaps that was my problem. I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this movie. I thought I was going to be seeing something more like The Witcher and, you know, less boring.

I enjoyed it, but I'm familiar with the poem. So I thought he did a pretty good retelling, and it had a pretty solid message. Aside from reading the epic, it also helps to know everything is an allegory. So you have to put yourself back in a High School English class mindset where you have to interpret everything as having a different meaning. For example, the jizz rag on the sash is showing he failed yet another test, this time by quite literally staining it with a mark of his shame, etc.

Edited by MillerEP

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 10:55 PM, MillerEP said:

I enjoyed it, but I'm familiar with the poem. So I thought he did a pretty good retelling, and it had a pretty solid message. Aside from reading the epic, it also helps to know everything is an allegory. So you have to put yourself back in a High School English class mindset where you have to interpret everything as having a different meaning. For example, the jizz rag on the sash is showing he failed yet another test, this time by quite literally staining it with a mark of his shame, etc.

And Whats the allegorical meaning behind me failing High School English?

Movie was a fucking trip. Slow and creepy. Great sound production.  Dev looks like that other kid Alex Wolff from Hereditary and felt like I was watching the same eery supernatural movie play out. Probably wouldve been wild on mushrooms. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Dumb movie, but couldn’t stop watching.  Kept telling myself, ‘ Alright, this is the scene where it start making sense…’

The challenge itself was fine I guess, and his courage to execute it was a great starting point, but did he miss the ‘ what you do to me will happen to you next year?’

Also why was the tree knight.king/ wizard just sitting tight at home waiting on our hero to show up on Christmas?  What if homie had reneged?

Whole movie should have been called ‘Jizz rag,’

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

Dumb movie, but couldn’t stop watching.  Kept telling myself, ‘ Alright, this is the scene where it start making sense…’

The challenge itself was fine I guess, and his courage to execute it was a great starting point, but did he miss the ‘ what you do to me will happen to you next year?’

Also why was the tree knight.king/ wizard just sitting tight at home waiting on our hero to show up on Christmas?  What if homie had reneged?

I didn't understand the premise of the movie after he decapitated the green knight for precisely this reason. 

The rest of the movie was great as a standalone journey without the green knight beginning and ending scene tbh. 

Imagine he was just on some quest and got the sash and whatnot and lived out his days. Dope movie about a knight who found his way on an epic journey. Instead it's just a journey with pointless stuff along the way to what he knows is his eventual demise. 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

3 hours ago, immamac said:

I didn't understand the premise of the movie after he decapitated the green knight for precisely this reason. 

The rest of the movie was great as a standalone journey without the green knight beginning and ending scene tbh. 

Imagine he was just on some quest and got the sash and whatnot and lived out his days. Dope movie about a knight who found his way on an epic journey. Instead it's just a journey with pointless stuff along the way to what he knows is his eventual demise. 

it's not a blank-slate movie.  its based on the arthurian tale.  so your issue is with the tale, not the movie. 

without getting into the high-brow literary interpretation, medieval tales often start with a challenge, and the green knight probably wanted to show off his mettle in court.  young man ego vibes.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

it's not a blank-slate movie.  its based on the arthurian tale.  so your issue is with the tale, not the movie. 

without getting into the high-brow literary interpretation, medieval tales often start with a challenge, and the green knight probably wanted to show off his mettle in court.  young man ego vibes.

I don't think the issue was the tale, there is a way more compelling way to deliver the same tale of some guy accepting the challenge, not understanding the meaning of the challenge and lopping the head off, then essentially doing everything he could to absorb life over the year and set off with a purpose of fulfilling his honor as a knight returning to the challenge. 

Instead it was halfway in both camps, where it was like this guy just started his life and then they did the "flash forward" and then abruptly ended the movie. The tale isn't the issue it was the delivery, unless the tale (which I have not read) included all that other stuff, in which case what a stupid fucking tale.