Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information

Tex Pete

OD'd. 

Xanax laced with something is what I heard. 

It seems there is something bad circulating Austin. My sister is a nurse at the Dell Seton, and she says there has been a spike in young professionals at tech companies around Austin that have OD'd. Oracle lost a few employees.

• Hook 'Em 8

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

OD'd. 

Xanax laced with something is what I heard. 

It seems there is something bad circulating Austin. My sister is a nurse at the Dell Seton, and she says there has been a spike in young professionals at tech companies around Austin that have OD'd. Oracle lost a few employees.

These days one is playing Russian roulette if they buy anything off of the streets. Shit's coming across the border advertised as one thing and laced with other things. It's been significant for a few years now. And like you said, it's occurring in intermittent waves and is dependent on the batch that hits a particular place. Source: I work in the field.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Lots of shit is getting laced/contaminated with fentanyl these days apparently. 

If someone is completely naive to opioids (meaning either they have never taken prescription opioids ever in their life), it can result in death on the first exposure of fentanyl. Fentanyl started out being administered by anesthesiologists in the operating room and they would monitor a patient's heart and respiratory rates. It's those patients with long term opioid use disorder who usually don't go into cardiac arrest when they're exposed to fentanyl. But then again, it's all dependent on whatever was in the pill (and the amount) they ended up swallowing, smoking, insufflating, and/or injecting.

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

Wait... that's the reason? That's what was so bad we couldn't discuss it? 

What the fuck is wrong with you, @immamac. Enforcing silence on this is contributing to the problem. We're not going to get rid of the idiotic and unnecessary "shame" around things like this if people who should otherwise know better are going to idiotically treat it like something to be ashamed of.

Nobody with a brain treats addiction and depression as moral failures anymore. Anyone who does deserves public humiliation in a Dunce cap. Ha ha, look at the dumbshit!

RIP Jake. Let's shine some light on the problem; that's the only way it gets solved.

What? You are discussing it here...in a thread where it's more appropriate to discuss. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Tragic :(

Seattle has a massive problem with fentanyl being present in opiates. I haven't lost anyone directly but have seen plenty of friends/family of friends that have passed. Depression and addiction are terrible anchors many deal with silently until it's too late. 

RIP Jake

I don’t if Jake had a long term abuse problem, the really fucked up thing about laced drugs is that one decision is all it takes to go to sleep and never wake up again. Loved ones will hurt and spend the lives thinking about how they missed the signs and if they had done more their loved one would still be here.

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I’ll go- what happened?

I've read no speculation, and I don’t know anyone who knows. Not sure why the super secrecy a week in. Not to be voyeuristic, but it’s hard to have honest discussions about societal issues when we can’t openly bring them up  

Thanks in advance. 

Thank You for asking TexPete.  Your post represents my situation.   

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

If someone is completely naive to opioids (meaning either they have never taken prescription opioids ever in their life), it can result in death on the first exposure of fentanyl. Fentanyl started out being administered by anesthesiologists in the operating room and they would monitor a patient's heart and respiratory rates. It's those patients with long term opioid use disorder who usually don't go into cardiac arrest when they're exposed to fentanyl. But then again, it's all dependent on whatever was in the pill (and the amount) they ended up swallowing, smoking, insufflating, and/or injecting.

Fucking fentanyl - so ridiculously powerful that you're taking your life in your own hands anytime you buy a Xanax (or whatever) from anyone other than a pharmacist.

Its too damn easy to just sprinkle in a little fentanyl to whatever it is they are pressing that day.

(rather not)

Sacklers can go fuck themselves.  There is a special place in hell carved out for them.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

Personally I think it was stupid to continue to delete the speculation after the first day. Just because his last name, brother, and family story/ties to UT is why. Any other similar death is speculated/celebrated. But surly has historically protected/defended Sam/family so it’s on par. 

It is what it is, kid got some bad shit from his purchaser/dealer. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Fucking fentanyl - so ridiculously powerful that you're taking your life in your own hands anytime you buy a Xanax (or whatever) from anyone other than a pharmacist.

Its too damn easy to just sprinkle in a little fentanyl to whatever it is they are pressing that day.

(rather not)

Sacklers can go fuck themselves.  There is a special place in hell carved out for them.

I think Hell would be too good for the Sacklers. I've been catching the documentary on them and Perdue on HBO the last few nights.  They had that one poor bastard (their chronic pain guinea pig) up to 60 of the I believe, 150g oxycodone pills TWICE a day! 120 per day shit.  The guy said it sometimes took him a half an hour to take his dosage.  As far as I'm concerned they are complicit in the murders of everyone who died from that garbage and should all be in the penitentiary for the rest of their lives.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 6

What I find odd is that the police automatically come out to say that the cause of death was not suspicious. Unless he had a syringe sticking out of his arm or he took his own life with a weapon still in his hand, how can an investigator come to the automatic conclusion that there isn't something suspicious about the death. What exactly led that investigator to determine "Yep, nothing else to see here. Just a 20 year old dead." If he took something off the street that was laced, wouldn't that be suspicious? Wouldn't a little investigation have to be done to come to a conclusion that his death was brought on upon himself? 

It sounds like an OD situation and I hate that Jake was fighting these demons, but damn to say a dead 20 year old athlete isn't suspicious right at the scene seems odd. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

What I find odd is that the police automatically come out to say that the cause of death was not suspicious. Unless he had a syringe sticking out of his arm or he took his own life with a weapon still in his hand, how can an investigator come to the automatic conclusion that there isn't something suspicious about the death. What exactly led that investigator to determine "Yep, nothing else to see here. Just a 20 year old dead." If he took something off the street that was laced, wouldn't that be suspicious? Wouldn't a little investigation have to be done to come to a conclusion that his death was brought on upon himself? 

It sounds like an OD situation and I hate that Jake was fighting these demons, but damn to say a dead 20 year old athlete isn't suspicious right at the scene seems odd. 

Yeah, the whole "not suspicious" thing seemed odd to me, but I have no idea what criteria is used to make that determination.

2 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Way too many kids experimenting with the occasional Xanax have fallen victim to a fentanyl OD.   And as for police at the scene - I imagine they've seen enough drug OD's to recognize some of the signs.  I'm sure there was an autopsy and possibly an investigation - but I'm guessing the 'nothing suspicious'  line was meant to let the public know that he wasn't victim of a violent crime.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Thanks. Got several responses.

He apparently struggled with depression and opiate addiction. His family had been trying to get him help. Sam’s eulogy even made reference to “he was never the same after dad died.” Of course, he was just a little kid back then.

Tragic OD. We need to talk a lot more about mental health issues. Obviously, Jake had lots of reason to struggle. I hate that he could not find the help/peace he needed. Often, people just can’t.

A poster on this board  recently called depression a weakness (I won’t name names because I now have them on Ignore and it would serve no point).

That fruits of that attitude contribute to so much needless death and suffering.

I know we’re all encouraged as Americans to have strong opinions about everything, but just maybe, know whereof you speak. Or don’t. Listen and learn.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

My understanding is that he did not know the Xanax was laced with fentanyl. Like people said up thread, there's some bad Xanax going around. Unfortunately he got ahold of some.

Also this breaks my heart if true. He was found on a sidewalk or street in West Campus. No that there's a great place to OD but the thought of this poor guy dying on the street because of bad shit he had idea he was taking kind of hits me hard. That poor family.

(deleted shit)

I'm sure APD is going to crack down hard on campus dealers.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What is out there right now? Why is the Xanax laced with fentanyl? Is the ecstacy laced too? Is it a thing? 
Are shrooms and weed laced too? Fuck me, I think I'm glad I'm old, for once. 

I googled it once because I wondered why everything is laced with fentanyl. No one seems to be completely sure. Most agree it’s not intentional. Cartels want users to stay alive and stay addicted to what they’re selling not get addicted to something else. The theory is that it’s just as simple as sloppy drug processing. Using the same dirty equipment to package fentanyl then being used package xanax, coke, etc. A bit of fentanyl can contaminate a shit ton of drugs since even a micro dose can kill users instantly.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

(rather not)

Yep. Know a few people that died from fentanyl. Can’t stand that fucking shit. I heard from some friends younger brothers a couple years ago that Westlake kids were popping pills like candy. Directly coincides with Jake’s time there. Damn fucking shame. Wayyyy too fucking young to be fucking with pills and it sadly caught up to Jake. As a nation we really need to educate the younger ones just how fucking serious this shit is

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Way too many kids experimenting with the occasional Xanax have fallen victim to a fentanyl OD.   And as for police at the scene - I imagine they've seen enough drug OD's to recognize some of the signs.  I'm sure there was an autopsy and possibly an investigation - but I'm guessing the 'nothing suspicious'  line was meant to let the public know that he wasn't victim of a violent crime.

I’ll assume the police informed family but the family likely didn’t pursue further to protect the image/family. 

• Like 1

Sans fentanyl contamination, Xanax is a fairly lightweight drug.  Mixes well/poorly with alcohol depending on how much you like to get completely fuckfaced.

Has serious addiction potential, though.  And a very unpleasant withdrawal. 💩💩

3 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

A poster on this board  recently called depression a weakness (I won’t name names because I now have them on Ignore and it would serve no point).

That fruits of that attitude contribute to so much needless death and suffering.

I know we’re all encouraged as Americans to have strong opinions about everything, but just maybe, know whereof you speak. Or don’t. Listen and learn.

I’m pretty sure that was me and I’m even more sure I put a /s indicating sarcasm

We tease my mom because she raised us in an environment where it was if one drink would make you an alcoholic.

We drank.  In high school. In college. In every day life, My 2 brothers and I have all partook( word?) and alcohol is an enjoyable part of our lives. Each of us is very fortunate in that respect.

I was also raised to not do drugs, especially the illegal ones, because you never know where they lead or what they are made of.  For all of our mom's trepidations regarding substance abuse/ recreational drugs; this always stuck with me.  IDK if my brothers ever did them- very unlikely, but I have not.  Whether it was  high school sports( I was naïve and didn't realize they didn't really test for drugs,) serving in the military, or having a CDL/ DOT regulated job; I always had something else at stake to lose if I got tested. Bigger than that, I did harbor the fear that they could hurt or even  kill me.  It has always been enough to scare me off, for whatever that's worth.  I'll own being a pussy on that front, if people see it that way.   Yep.  Too scared. FWIW, i do support legalization of many of these substances in the hopes that regulation would help eliminate much of the risk described above, real or not.

As a parent,   another aspect of the Ehlinger situation that might apply is when one child is extremely talented, to the point that it stands out.  The other children are talented, beautiful, and in any other family situation would be considered 'normal.' It presents a challenge in parenting to constantly remind the 'normal' kid that they are also great in their own way.  This is a constant element that we have faced while raising two very different kids and trying to maintain the self-esteem and confidence of both children.  Maybe I am totally fucked up on this take, but drugs have always been a concern of mine with regard to our ' normal' kid, as well as suicide( I know Jake did not commit suicide) being a possibility.   Even as a dad, I get soooooooooo very pissed off when friends or colleagues would ask, "How's your son?"   Hey motherfucker, you know we have 2 of them right?   Yet I know they always want to hear about the academy or whatever.   If it pisses me off, how does our other son feel?  No matter how hard we worked to make it equitable, the other kid fucking knows.

Again, I apologize if this post doesn't apply. These are things I have been thinking of related to Jake's passing.  I would hope having construction conversations about it would be productive towards helping others.

RIP, young man; and God bless the Ehlinger Family.

4 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Same here.  In my mind, a 20 year old, physically healthy young man dying would always be suspicious.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, immamac said:

What? You are discussing it here...in a thread where it's more appropriate to discuss. 

And thanks for allowing it to stay up. Mental health is a huge issue to be discussed in America today. It impacts all of us. 

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

Pain killers I have no idea about.  I don't know how pervasive they are.

they were around a good bit when I was in high school. at least with the trash I hung around with. but this fentanyl stuff showing up in dirty pills is relatively new. it legitimately scares me as I definitely enjoyed some vicodin back in the day. 

Edited by futureman

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Killing your customers seems like a bad business model for the drug dealers. 

Junkies will always be around.  The demand only seems to be increasing.  I don’t think they really care.  If they did then they would implement quality control.

I mean, it’s not just your Westlake or other suburban kids either.  Even 12+ years ago when I was in HS kids being barred out was pretty prevalent, even in bumfuck east Texas... doctors kids, truck drivers kids, whatever. I’ve never touched the stuff but the fact that it’s happening so frequently is scary as hell. I’m glad it wasn’t the case back then or I’m sure I’d have a few more dead friends than I already do. It should spook the shut out of anyone that’s into party drugs. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

If they did then they would implement quality control.

That was why I never did anything injectable, ever.  Didn't trust was was in the product (or the strength that it was cut to).  Silly me, I never knew that a pill, a puff, or a snort could kill you just as easily as an injectable now that fentanyl is in the mix.

Good to be older and wiser.  RIP to Jake.

6 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Junkies will always be around.  The demand only seems to be increasing.  I don’t think they really care.  If they did then they would implement quality control.

I don’t even want to know what that QA/QC process looks like

Yeah, a lady I used to work with had one of her 3 boys OD and die.  He had worked for us as well so I knew him pretty well.  He was a healthy 25-26 or so year old so we knew it most likely had to do with drugs. I never found out which ones in particular but I assumed meth because that's was the only drug I really knew about powerful enough to kill someone.  Looking back on it now, it was probably pain killers that got him too as I don't really think meth kills people by OD (I could be completely wrong as I don't know a thing about meth either).  This particular death has really shaken me as I now have a clearer picture of what my son might be up against in the near future.  I think I'll have a similar drug talk with him that was in this clip from Knocked Up.  Start around the 1:20 mark.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sans fentanyl contamination, Xanax is a fairly lightweight drug.  Mixes well/poorly with alcohol depending on how much you like to get completely fuckfaced.

Has serious addiction potential, though.  And a very unpleasant withdrawal. 💩💩

No to de-rail anything and not looking for some discussion on it.... but Xanax is fucked.

Have a now ex girlfriend got hooked on it after going through some traumatic shit, was getting it from street dealer because it was cheaper and more convenient. Think door dash vs going to a dr at 1/5th cost and no need for any "psyc eval" or anything on paper. Just text Jimmy and it's there in an hour.... Getting her weaned off that shit was like nursing a toddler but it's a 30 year old woman with a full time job. Highly addictive, horrible withdrawal, and absolutely nukes the personality and energy and emotion out of a person, good and bad, leaves you numb and neutral to the world, like a blank canvas that won't take on any paint. She got out of it, but it cost her a lot personally and financially, it cost me a metric ton emotionally, and the relationship never recovered. She's doing better but it was incredibly rough for 6 months and the ensuing year after was no picnic. I fucking hate that shit. Even without the threat of fent it's a dangerous fucking thing and seeing it labeled as lightweight absolutely triggers the fuck out of me.

Not throwing any stones, just sharing an anecdotal experience. This stuff is serious and I can't imagine having a kid in highschool now and having to have conversations like this. They probably won't get it..... cause their kids and parents just are dramatic... anyways...

/ off soap box, carry on plz.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

No to de-rail anything and not looking for some discussion on it.... but Xanax is fucked.

Have a now ex girlfriend got hooked on it after going through some traumatic shit, was getting it from street dealer because it was cheaper and more convenient. Think door dash vs going to a dr at 1/5th cost and no need for any "psyc eval" or anything on paper. Just text Jimmy and it's there in an hour.... Getting her weaned off that shit was like nursing a toddler but it's a 30 year old woman with a full time job. Highly addictive, horrible withdrawal, and absolutely nukes the personality and energy and emotion out of a person, good and bad, leaves you numb and neutral to the world, like a blank canvas that won't take on any paint. She got out of it, but it cost her a lot personally and financially, it cost me a metric ton emotionally, and the relationship never recovered. She's doing better but it was incredibly rough for 6 months and the ensuing year after was no picnic. I fucking hate that shit. Even without the threat of fent it's a dangerous fucking thing and seeing it labeled as lightweight absolutely triggers the fuck out of me.

Not throwing any stones, just sharing an anecdotal experience. This stuff is serious and I can't imagine having a kid in highschool now and having to have conversations like this. They probably won't get it..... cause their kids and parents just are dramatic... anyways...

/ off soap box, carry on plz.

Well, I think some terms left undetailed is the issue here. Xanax in it's effects are possibly considered light weight....The withdrawal however, are not.  Considering the mild mellow high vs. the withdrawal is like David vs. Goliath.  Xanax from what I've heard embeds itself in the bones and withdrawal is like pissing up a wet burning rope.  Definitely not worth the mellow buzz it provides..

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, cam4mav said:

and absolutely nukes the personality and energy and emotion out of a person, good and bad, leaves you numb and neutral to the world, like a blank canvas that won't take on any paint.

Hmm that hasn't been my experience but okay.

(Also though most people doesn't understand how to use xanax)

Edited by ztejas

I was one of those who advocated pausing on the speculation. If rumors of the cause of death were inaccurate, I would’ve hated for the Ehlinger family to deal with untrue news of a drug overdose before even having the chance to bury Jake.

But now that it’s out, yes, let’s have a conversation, because you can’t have too many discussions with your kids about events like this. And maybe it brings it home a little more for my high school daughter, who’s rooted for Sam with me in the stands, and I can tell her that his brother innocently enough took the wrong pill and he was gone forever. 

I’m pretty much an optimist, and life for the most part brings me joy and happiness. But sometimes, especially when tragedies like this happen, life scares the ever-living shit out of me.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Personally I think it was stupid to continue to delete the speculation after the first day. Just because his last name, brother, and family story/ties to UT is why. Any other similar death is speculated/celebrated. But surly has historically protected/defended Sam/family so it’s on par. 

It is what it is, kid got some bad shit from his purchaser/dealer. 

celebrated? maybe in the CR.

i get the point people are making about "if he didn't have the ties to Texas"...but he does. he is who he is. his brother is who he was. he is from where he's from.

• immamac changed the title to Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information