Greg Brown

Machinator

He has a ton of talent and untapped potential. Based on what I saw, he needed at least another year in College. He will not see significant time for the next 2-3 years and will end up in the G League. Chris Beard would have turned him into a lottery pick. Best of luck and hook’em

• Hook 'Em 2

Good luck to him. He will eventually be a rotation player in the NBA (at a minimum). Whether he stays in college or gets shipped down to the G-League, it is going to take a few years of maturation to get there.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

He has a ton of talent and untapped potential. Based on what I saw, he needed at least another year in College. He will not see significant time for the next 2-3 years and will end up in the G League. Chris Beard would have turned him into a lottery pick. Best of luck and hook’em

I believe in Beard but if he is capable of this type of one year growth, doing it as a full time profession may be the best way to get there. 

Excited to see if he develops. 

Nice prospect.  Biggest issue is between the ears and that seems especially big.  

Indifferent on whether he stayed.  Part of me wanted to see Beard develop Brown's greater potential.   On the flip side, he's a head case and glad he won't be around to pollute things.

• Hook 'Em 2

The flip side is had Brown stayed maybe he's Sims 2.0. I think there's value in not giving the NBA scouts too much tape. They're throwing darts after the lottery, might as well remain mysterious. 
Best of luck to Greg. 

Shit. I need to prep my mysterious sizzle reel. I’m going pro!
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Nice prospect.  Biggest issue is between the ears and that seems especially big.  

Indifferent on whether he stayed.  Part of me wanted to see Beard develop Brown's greater potential.   On the flip side, he's a head case and glad he won't be around to pollute things.

J'Covan Brown and Gabe Muoneke were head cases. GB III was a pretty typical college freshman with 5 stars next to his name. he actually looked pretty great at times early on before he made his way into Shaka's never ending dog house. GB III never got a chance here, and i just hope that he lands in a good spot where they do develop talent, because he does have a shit ton of potential and upside, even if it was stifled during his one season at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

our first glimpse of what GB can do came on 12-9-20 vs Texas State:

22 minutes, 7-14 FG, 3-7 3P FG, 1-1 FT, 18 points, 3 blocks. 

here are his averages from that game through  our game on 2-9-21 against K State:

11 GP, 11 GS: 23.4 mpg, 4.4-9.4 FGA (.466), 1.8-3.4 3PA (.417), 12.8 ppg, 8.0 reb, 1.7 oreb, 1.4 blk, 0.6 stl 

looks like GB III is pretty much as-advertised, and should be a big time contributor down the stretch for a Texas team that at this point is ranked #13 in the country, and was ranked #6 nationally just one week prior. i mean these are pretty damn solid numbers for a true freshman playing on a deep/veteran team where he has quite the low USG and essentially never handles the ball. he's showing a lot of promise here. 

yeah; about that. let's look at his numbers over our final 7 games:

15.6 mpg, 1.7-4.4 FGA (.387), 0.4-2.0 3P FG (.214), 1.1-1.1 FTA (1.000), 5.0 ppg, 3.0 reb, 0.7 oreb, 0.7 blk, 0.4 stl

i see people in here saying that he can't shoot, that he's a head case, that it'll be three years before he has a spot in the NBA, and i'm wondering if these people even paid attention to Greg Brown or our team/head coach this year. the worst thing GB III did was choosing to play for Shaka Smart. the kid showed a lot of promise for a lot of the season, and had it beaten out of him by our idiot former coach.

while it's hard for me to project exactly what he will become considering that i've only seen him play a handful of college games with sporadic minutes and low USG under his aforementioned idiot coach, i do know that he's got a lot more promise than many of our fans seem to realize, and that anyone who thinks he seems like a total project or a head case doesn't know what they're talking about.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5

i just want to reiterate that Greg Brown shot 42% from deep over that 11 game stretch as a true freshman. there are so many people here who've made comments about his form and his shot, as if he's Draymond Green or something. it doesn't matter that his form doesn't look like AJ Abrams, the kid was still drilling outside shots at a very high clip as a freshman for an extended period of time. that's rare even for guys who were thought of as great shooters in HS. for a guy with GB's size, length, and athleticism, to shoot that well so early on in your NCAA career is damned impressive, and a sign that he has all the potential to become a knock down catch-and-shoot guy at the next level, if not a pull-up shooter at some point in his career. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

here are his averages from that game through  our game on 2-9-21 against K State:

11 GP, 11 GS: 23.4 mpg, 4.4-9.4 FGA (.466), 1.8-3.4 3PA (.417), 12.8 ppg, 8.0 reb, 1.7 oreb, 1.4 blk, 0.6 stl 

looks like GB III is pretty much as-advertised, and should be a big time contributor down the stretch for a Texas team that at this point is ranked #13 in the country, and was ranked #6 nationally just one week prior. i mean these are pretty damn solid numbers for a true freshman playing on a deep/veteran team where he has quite the low USG and essentially never handles the ball. he's showing a lot of promise here. 

15.6 mpg, 1.7-4.4 FGA (.387), 0.4-2.0 3P FG (.214), 1.1-1.1 FTA (1.000), 5.0 ppg, 3.0 reb, 0.7 oreb, 0.7 blk, 0.4 stl

i see people in here saying that he can't shoot, that he's a head case, that it'll be three years before he has a spot in the NBA, and i'm wondering if these people even paid attention to Greg Brown or our team/head coach this year. the worst thing GB III did was choosing to play for Shaka Smart. the kid showed a lot of promise for a lot of the season, and had it beaten out of him by our idiot former coach.

while it's hard for me to project exactly what he will become considering that i've only seen him play a handful of college games with sporadic minutes and low USG under his aforementioned idiot coach, i do know that he's got a lot more promise than many of our fans seem to realize, and that anyone who thinks he seems like a total project or a head case doesn't know what they're talking about.

I agree that GB has a ton of potential, and I also agree with just about any and all criticism of Shaka. But the one thing that always stood out to me about  GB is that he seems very emotionally immature, even for a college freshman. I don't think head case is the right word, but he needs to learn to martial his emotions (both the ups and the downs). I think that's one reason for his erratic performances (24 points one night, 5 the next etc...). Some guys enter college ready for the pressure/spotlight,  some guys develop that later, others never really do. 

I'll never fault any college athlete for  making the jump to the pros. Its their decision to make, not mine, and this charade of making them pretend to be students for one year is beyond stupid if all they want to do is hoop. I could even make the argument that  GB might develop faster in a GLeague type environment out of the spotlight than in college.  Regardless, I'll wish him well and move onto the guys signed up to play in austin next season.   

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Yep. Shaka is fucking awful and he did a huge disservice to GB and cost him a lot of money.
The whole discussion around GB last year was absurd. IT was arguing we should keep Shaka so we could get GB when he was never going to the type of one and done to carry a team or overcome Shaka’s coaching. 

And then you had GB saying he would only go to Texas if Shaka was the coach, which was dumb beyond comprehension. The whole thing made it feel like I was taking crazy pills.

I’ll never understand the pull Shaka has over some recruits when it’s obvious he’s not a good coach, but I’m beyond glad I no longer have to feel bad for recruits when they commit to play for our coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That is extremely unlikely, especially with the transfers we brought in. 

I agree.  Beard has landed a few guys with as good or better on-court performances to lean on.  Not that they would all compete directly with GB3, but I do think it would be unlikely he'd be booking 30+ minutes a game.

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

J'Covan Brown and Gabe Muoneke were head cases. GB III was a pretty typical college freshman with 5 stars next to his name. he actually looked pretty great at times early on before he made his way into Shaka's never ending dog house. GB III never got a chance here, and i just hope that he lands in a good spot where they do develop talent, because he does have a shit ton of potential and upside, even if it was stifled during his one season at Texas.

Just STFU. He had no game and even a clueless fan like you should have seen that. Coaches don't put kids in the dog house. The kids do.

Everyone knows you hated Shaka so just get over yourself. You may be the worst butthurt fan in college sports.

• Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Just STFU. He had no game and even a clueless fan like you should have seen that. Coaches don't put kids in the dog house. The kids do.

Everyone knows you hated Shaka so just get over yourself. You may be the worst butthurt fan in college sports.

Little gooey, every time you do that, I know that I am right.

7 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

greg, you really do have a hard-on for Derka. It's ... weird.

Dkgg6Y.gif

wrong. I don't like when a fan who doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does constantly taking cheap shots primarily at players and constantly tells posters who have a different opinion that they are wrong. Its nothing but jealousy.  He is also probably the most butthurt fan in college sports and his crap is beyond getting old. Greg Brown is a huge talent but has no game yet. He is also extremely immature. Thats not on any of the coaches. .

3 hours ago, realgreggym said:

wrong. I don't like when a fan who doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does constantly taking cheap shots primarily at players and constantly tells posters who have a different opinion that they are wrong. 

you just took a bunch of cheap shots at Greg Brown and belligerently told me i was wrong. but yeah, good point.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol at the hills you constantly die on.  “Stop criticizing Shaka Smart!  The problem is Greg Brown has no game!”

If you were Michael Dukakis and someone asked if you’d support the death penalty if it was your wife who was murdered, you would have said, “Well, that depends.  Was her killer a basketball coach?  Because if so I’d have to assume he had his reasons.”

coaches don't murder people's wives; the wives do.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol at the hills you constantly die on.  “Stop criticizing Shaka Smart!  The problem is Greg Brown has no game!”

If you were Michael Dukakis and someone asked if you’d support the death penalty if it was your wife who was murdered, you would have said, “Well, that depends.  Was her killer a basketball coach?  Because if so I’d have to assume he had his reasons.”

I will be extremely disappointed if greggym doesn’t have “Trust the Corchez!” written on his gravestone.

23 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Everyone knows you hated Shaka so just get over yourself . You may be the worst butthurt fan in college sports.

@shadow_operative draws a lot of water on this message board. You don’t draw shit, greggym. Now we got a nice quiet message board community here and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something clear. I don’t like you suckering around bothering our posters, greggym. I don’t like your jerk off name. I don’t like your jerk off face. I don’t like your jerk off behavior and I don’t like you, jerk off. Do I make myself clear?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

-Jacob Young

-James Banks

-Tevin Mack

-all the other guys I’m forgetting 

-11-22 with Jarrett Allen

-Pathetic 1st round collapse w/ Mo Bamba

-Misses tournament w/ Jackson Hayes 

-Most embarrassing loss in school history w/ Greg Brown on the roster 

-Reports that practically every starter was out the door if Shaka was retained

Shaka’s impeccable track record with doghouses, transfers, and lottery picks clearly demonstrates it’s all GBIII’s fault. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Fletch said:

@shadow_operative draws a lot of water on this message board. You don’t draw shit, greggym. Now we got a nice quiet message board community here and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something clear. I don’t like you suckering around bothering our posters, greggym. I don’t like your jerk off name. I don’t like your jerk off face. I don’t like your jerk off behavior and I don’t like you, jerk off. Do I make myself clear?

You made my day. Thanks for the comic relief.  Now go fuck yourself.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you just took a bunch of cheap shots at Greg Brown and belligerently told me i was wrong. but yeah, good point.

Once again, you have no clue. Everything that I stated is fact and has been mentioned many times during game broadcasts.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Where do you come up with this crap. I made a specific point about Greg Brown and its accurate. I have never said stop criticizing the coach. That comes from

other posters. Pay attention. 

29 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

-Jacob Young

-James Banks

-Tevin Mack

Shaka’s impeccable track record with doghouses, transfers, and lottery picks clearly demonstrates it’s all GBIII’s fault. 

Radford 

Down by the In and Out 

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't recall one instance of anyone calling GB a headcase before that little incident in the big 12 tournament.  examples?

Wasn't the 2nd Tech-UT game in LBK the one where GBIII ran down the tunnel in the first half and then DNP in the 2nd half?

I don't know shit about him with regard to mentality/ discipline/ drive, so I'm just bringing it up as something I observed at the time.  For the folks in this thread saying Beard would have turned the young man around, you better remember that 4:1 ain't just the day Beard came to UT.  The mental strength matters.  That being said, maybe the initial GBIII  meltdown in that game never happens in a different program culture.  Beard hasn't backed off one iota on bigtime recruits, and it has cost him 2 in particular.  You earn PT. Period.   If they don't like it, they can fucking walk.

As a fan, I appreciate his approach, but again, we can't really say how that moment would have transpired with a different coach of the Texas program.  GBIII could have been different/ better prepared for that test.

8 hours ago, realgreggym said:

wrong. I don't like when a fan who doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does constantly taking cheap shots primarily at players and constantly tells posters who have a different opinion that they are wrong. Its nothing but jealousy.  He is also probably the most butthurt fan in college sports and his crap is beyond getting old. Greg Brown is a huge talent but has no game yet. He is also extremely immature. Thats not on any of the coaches. .

Man dude you could use a mirror.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't recall one instance of anyone calling GB a headcase before that little incident in the big 12 tournament.  examples?

The shots at GB3 are dumb as fuck. He had the tech against OU which is the only thing that can be pointed to. In no way is a headcase.

And the idea that he “has no game” is fucking moronic. Dudes don’t average 

Edit: Baylor not OU for the dunk.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

the big lebowski GIF by The Good Films

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Wasn't the 2nd Tech-UT game in LBK the one where GBIII ran down the tunnel in the first half and then DNP in the 2nd half?

I don't know shit about him with regard to mentality/ discipline/ drive, so I'm just bringing it up as something I observed at the time.  For the folks in this thread saying Beard would have turned the young man around, you better remember that 4:1 ain't just the day Beard came to UT.  The mental strength matters.  That being said, maybe the initial GBIII  meltdown in that game never happens in a different program culture.  Beard hasn't backed off one iota on bigtime recruits, and it has cost him 2 in particular.  You earn PT. Period.   If they don't like it, they can fucking walk.

As a fan, I appreciate his approach, but again, we can't really say how that moment would have transpired with a different coach of the Texas program.  GBIII could have been different/ better prepared for that test.

no that was in the big 12 tournament and was the incident i was referring to.  before that moment, i don't recall a single instance of anyone on this site calling him a head case or questioning his mental toughness.  so my point is that people are using one incident (which wasn't even all that bad) to justify calling the kid a head case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

no that was in the big 12 tournament and was the incident i was referring to.  before that moment, i don't recall a single instance of anyone on this site calling him a head case or questioning his mental toughness.  so my point is that people are using one incident (which wasn't even all that bad) to justify calling the kid a head case.

I think some people were so caught up in another Shaka special that they don't realize that Greg returned to the bench and can be seen cheering for his teammates late in the 2nd half of that game.  Also for the rest of the season, when his playing time was sporadic, you can see him on the sidelines clearly cheering for the team.  Including late in the ACU game where he only played 6 mins.

Immature, needs to be more focused- sure. I just don't see headcase based on his behavior.  I hope a solid franchise (spurs, heat, raptors) drafts him because I think he can have a productive NBA career if he starts in a positive environment.        

• Hook 'Em 3

I was actually pretty impressed how Greg Brown behaved despite getting progressively fewer minutes. He didn’t really pout and seemed to support his team well.

The between the legs in game missed dunk was immature though.

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

-Jacob Young

-James Banks

-Tevin Mack

i've known something incredibly foul- just totally heinous- that Shaka Smart did to a player in his first year here, and i've refrained from posting it out of respect for that player. i believe i've shared this story with a couple people via pm. if anyone here wants to know the story then send me a pm and i'll spill the beans. and i can promise you that when you hear it, you'll find yourself amazed at how easy i actually took it on Shaka over all these years, knowing what i've known this whole time. dude is a piece of shit for what he did, and he seems like a borderline sociopath based on the image he portrays of himself, which in stark contrast to his actions from this story.