just gonna leave this here

Rimbo

I've claimed to anyone who will listen he's the 2nd best rb of the century (i gave nod to Tomlinson. Woops) . Guess I sold him short. Love passage and accompanying chart from Five thirty eight

In my NFC North season preview, I mildly criticized Adrian Peterson9 for being better at the kinds of things the passing game already has covered (breaking long plays), and worse at the kinds of things that help keep the running game relevant (gaining yardage consistently, setting up high-leverage second downs). So with another star running back on my plate, I thought I should check to see if Charles has similar problems.

The simple answer is “no.” The slightly more complicated answer is “no, and this is a silly comparison because Jamaal Charles is way better than Adrian Peterson.”

jc v ap.png

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Injury free Jamaal was one of the purest runners of the football there has been. Such a weapon. Smooth speed and subtle moves that left people on roller skates.

Not enough talk on this thread about Priest Holmes's spot on the OP's chart. But that 5 TD highlight video was awesome for the last one. Poor Miles Burris getting isolated on Jamaal Charles on a wheel route. Literally no chance, and it's not like he was a terrible athlete for a linebacker. Just not a great one.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not enough talk on this thread about Priest Holmes's spot on the OP's chart. But that 5 TD highlight video was awesome for the last one. Poor Miles Burris getting isolated on Jamaal Charles on a wheel route. Literally no chance, and it's not like he was a terrible athlete for a linebacker. Just not a great one.

As soon as he realized Jamaal was flying by to go up the sideline you can see the panic in his body language as he helplessly run after him. literally "OH FUCK" reaches arms out at air and it's over

Edited by cam4mav

Besides the obvious glorification of a couple of Longhorn Legends, the great thing this chart shows is the absolute insanity of any team picking a RB with a high draft pick (Ezekiel Elliot and Marshall Faulk being the notable exceptions, but that is 2 people over the last 20 years and Faulk was drafted in the 90's). I am not sure where the "breakeven" line exists on how productive a running back has to be to justify even using a first round pick on, but my guess is it is above the -.05 line and right of the 4.25 ypc line, which only about a third (or less) of these running backs qualified for.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep. Graphic was shared on a reddit r/nfl discussion about Jamaal, but seeing Priest as another outlier on that graph, outpacing Marshall Faulk, was what prompted me to share it here.

21 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I have fantasized a few times over the years about how good the 2008 Horns team would have been if JC had stuck around (I think they were the best team in the country that year even without him). One of my all-time favs. 

And JMike

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I have fantasized a few times over the years about how good the 2008 Horns team would have been if JC had stuck around (I think they were the best team in the country that year even without him). One of my all-time favs. 

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

And JMike

really would have been a ridiculously complete offense. what could have been

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Pretty wild.  Love advanced metrics.  And LOL Eddie George.  

I looked up his stats was wondering if he was really that bad, and the answer is yes, starting with 2001.  As shown on the graph, he was was not really a legit starter beginning in 2001.  He'd be even worse if the graph didn't include 2000. I'm surprised the Titans kept him around as long as they did, looking at his post-2000 numbers.  And of course the Cowboys signed him after TN let him go...

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Jamaal is the exception to the rule in the modern NFL.

Unfortunately, Cedric didn't fare so well as a player.

Cedric had too many miles on him after 8 years of being a workhorse in HS and College. 

I went to one of those Midland Lee playoff games where the D basically had 8 in the box the entire game and Ced still had 31 carries. Only 91 yards, but that was still impressive given the fact that everyone on the field was keying on him. 

Lee just battering rammed that D and then occasionally jabbed with a quick pass to Eric Winston at TE.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Cedric had too many miles on him after 8 years of being a workhorse in HS and College. 

I went to one of those Midland Lee playoff games where the D basically had 8 in the box the entire game and Ced still had 31 carries. Only 91 yards, but that was still impressive given the fact that everyone on the field was keying on him. 

Lee just battering rammed that D and then occasionally jabbed with a quick pass to Eric Winston at TE.

That's pretty much what Mack did to him in college, too.

28 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

That's pretty much what Mack did to him in college, too.

imagine the current RPO offense's like Sarks running with Roy Williams on a slant or a sluggo, and Ced hammering behind that line..... 

On 5/13/2021 at 3:34 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

You think they were the best team in the country because we WERE the best team in the country...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Jamaal was such an animal.

Also, these numbers make Ricky's 6.22 YPC even more amazing.  I'd love to see the same graph from 1990 to present.

It's an NFL graphic; Ricky is on it and benefits from the exclusion of his rookie season. He's at approx (4.23, -0.11)

Duncanville playoff game at Texas stadium?

On 5/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

I looked up his stats was wondering if he was really that bad, and the answer is yes, starting with 2001.  As shown on the graph, he was was not really a legit starter beginning in 2001.  He'd be even worse if the graph didn't include 2000. I'm surprised the Titans kept him around as long as they did, looking at his post-2000 numbers.  And of course the Cowboys signed him after TN let him go...

Eddie George is the Jeff Fisher of RBs. 

• Like 1