David Ash is playing Polish Football now

RGBIII

43 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That looks like a blast. Somewhere between elite high school football and Division...hell, Division 9 college football. He gets to be the stud on the field, minimize risk to his head, and play the game he loved but was forced out of.

I was a good sized lineman back in the day when 270 was big. My knees took me out of the game. If there'd been some miracle process to restore those poor joints in my 20s, I would have loved to give that level of football a shot. My size and sub 5.0 forty probably meant I would have fit in nicely. 

Take that same RomaVicta and put him on the field at DKR, I'm an undersized lineman or slow linebacker. CTJ, ScipioTex, and Sydney Carton would cuss me for getting a scholarship, and cuss me even more if I made it to the field, and probably cuss me as my horribly broken body was carted for a cursory look in the ER prior to placement in the morgue. I'd go the way of Francis Macomber, you can be sure.

Good for David Ash. It touched me when he ran onto the field in street clothes for senior day. I don't think they escaped his eyes, but his tears caught the light. I was taken from the game before I even got started on the varsity in high school. It made me unhappy. I can only guess at the magnification of that emotion if you're snatched from being the starting QB at Texas just as you're about to get really good.

Long post. Fuck it. I'm happy for the guy and actually happy to see guys playing football at that level. They're doing it for love of the game. Gotta be fun.

Godspeed, David Ash.

I graduated from high school with a guy who went to Trinity Bible College in North Dakota which plays at something called the NCCAA level after dropping from DIII. He couldn't hack it there so he left to go play "professionally" all over Europe. It seemed like a fun time for him and now he lives here scamming people all day as a leader of an MLM. Living the American Dream.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Why does it take three Pollocks to screw on a light bulb?

Two strong Pollocks have to move all the electrocuted Aggie corps corpses out of the way so a Pollock child can screw in the bulb.

(Compliments for the first answer. The mom reference was exquisite.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I was a good sized lineman back in the day when 270 was big. My knees took me out of the game. If there'd been some miracle process to restore those poor joints in my 20s, I would have loved to give that level of football a shot. My size and sub 5.0 forty probably meant I would have fit in nicely. 

Al Bundy 2Gif GIF by memecandy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

this can't pay more than $50,000 a year.

Probably true, but man, if you love the game and someone's paying you anything to play you do it.  Here in Sonoma we have (had?  Not sure if it will survive the pandemic) a minor, minor league Baseball team (Sonoma Stompers - http://www.stompersbaseball.com/).  It's actually a very fun and cheap night out.  A few have gone all the way into MLB teams.  Most just have a dream.  If I recall correctly, those guys make a few hundred bucks a month.  They get free meals on game nights, which is almost every night.  So there's that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 27-25 said:

Probably true, but man, if you love the game and someone's paying you anything to play you do it.  Here in Sonoma we have (had?  Not sure if it will survive the pandemic) a minor, minor league Baseball team (Sonoma Stompers - http://www.stompersbaseball.com/).  It's actually a very fun and cheap night out.  A few have gone all the way into MLB teams.  Most just have a dream.  If I recall correctly, those guys make a few hundred bucks a month.  They get free meals on game nights, which is almost every night.  So there's that. 

i pay to play beer league softball so i understand that

This is actually an interesting situation for Ash. Those D Linemen look to be sub 6 foot and 250 at best. The sheer physics are against him taking a huge hit to the head. 

Also, I love that they are playing football on a soccer field in the second video. No hash marks, no yard markers. Just YOLO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

That looks like a blast. Somewhere between elite high school football and Division...hell, Division 9 college football. He gets to be the stud on the field, minimize risk to his head, and play the game he loved but was forced out of.

I was a good sized lineman back in the day when 270 was big. My knees took me out of the game...

Long post. Fuck it. I'm happy for the guy and actually happy to see guys playing football at that level. They're doing it for love of the game. Gotta be fun.

Godspeed, David Ash.

Image result for old man football

• Hook 'Em 1