UT - UTSA thought

CleverNickname

Today many would-be undergraduates are offered a road to the Flagship through spending a year at UTSA. It strikes me that this is similar to how high schools have both a varsity and junior varsity team. Since intercollegiate athletic transfers have been very liberalized, I think we would create a new (old) paradigm.

UT only has so many scholarships. But UTSA has some, too. It may be that you would like to get a year of playing time rather than redshirting. Or maybe the coaches don't think you are yet worth a schollie. You might offer a greyshirt or as spot as a preferred walk-on. But maybe UTSA could offer you a full ride, with the notion that if you perform you can transfer over to Austin. Texas would always keep a couple slots open for UTSA trabsfers.

In essence UTSA becomes the junior varsity team. The flagship could invest in the weight room, nutrition, tutors, and coaching for athletes at UTSA. Maybe there can be some similarity in playbooks, or at least techniques. 

Thoughts?

I think, with the portal, we already have a version of that without the limitation of a having only a single farm team. 

How would a marginal player going to smaller and developing prior to transferring be different than what you describe?

It's not part of your proposal, but if colleges were limited to a single farm team, it would turn into another advantage for schools with established winning traditions i.e. the "blue bloods."

Anyway, I think you pretty much describe the status quo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting thought but I'd guess our friends at the NCAA might have issues with any sort of official relationship.

If a concept like this was allowed it would certainly favor the Big State U type of schools as most private schools and even non-flagships state schools don't have satellites (or at least not D-1 satellites).

Now unofficially I don't see why something couldn't be arranged as long as UTSA saw the benefit of picking up some guys they might not otherwise get but have the risk of losing them in a year or two.

I don’t know, I think UTSA could get to a solid spot on their own. Their alumni base is growing logarithmically and they are building respect season over season. 

Seems it would have to more of a JC arrangement that’s already kinda in place if something like that were to happen imho 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This is worse than the shart thread.

yea it is a brain shart

I do think there is one idea that could work, but I am not sure that UTSA or UTEP especially would go for it

the idea is that the UT Austin Athletics Department takes over the operations of some aspects of other system schools AD department......specifically areas that are not related to coaching decisions ect

areas like travel planning, purchasing for gear, perhaps in the future negotiations for sponsorships and the like.......work the money where the system schools get to keep 75% of the savings in reduced personnel and UT Austin gets the other 25%

so instead of every UT System school having people that arrange hotels, plane tickets, nutritional supplements, gear purchases, IT, construction and other mundane day to day task it is all done by a central system......it could even be farmed out between members if UTA or UTEP has someone that is especially good at their job in their department then perhaps they are the one that takes that position in the shared system and everyone else eventually lets their position empty out and not be filled

each department would still have an AD that makes 100% of the decisions on what they want, but there is a shared system of people that make that happen to the desires of the various ADs

it is really no different than how the overall system operates for the universities, but it is focused specifically on athletics to get some cost savings and reductions in salaries long term

On 5/14/2021 at 9:03 AM, Doc Reeves said:

Their alumni base is growing logarithmically and they are building respect season over season. 

Don't think that's what you mean.  Or if it is, nice trolling.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

For the record I have way worse ideas than this!

Okay, how about this idea (similar to @ButtFumble shared admin backend): we sign coaching contracts to the UT System, not UT-Austin. Then we shitcan a coach, we reassign at whatever satellite campus needs a new coach. 

Major Applewhite request reassignment to UTRGV

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/16/2021 at 8:03 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

UTSA and the players have zero pride?

On 5/16/2021 at 1:41 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I thought this was going to be a discussion about the teams playing in a few years.  I had originally thought utsa had a chance with trail or getting better and Herman getting worse, but sark should mudhole the Runners

Some of the posts in this thread may not have aged very well.

There's a lot of time to turn things aground, but after the retched coaching job Sark has done in the the 2nd half of both the OU and OSU games, it sure feels like a well coached UTSA team is going to come into Austin next year looking for more than a participation trophy. 

34 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Some of the posts in this thread may not have aged very well.

There's a lot of time to turn things aground, but after the retched coaching job Sark has done in the the 2nd half of both the OU and OSU games, it sure feels like a well coached UTSA team is going to come into Austin next year looking for more than a participation trophy. 

My failed attempt at sarcasm. I was one of the first to mention Traylor back in the coaching search (CUM?) thread 

Texas would lead by 18 after the first half and then lose the game by 3 

Nah. Traylor is smart enough to exploit our saggy vagina of an OL from the first snap. Triple cover Worthy and don’t worry about anyone else. They can’t get open or catch. They probably take the lead in the 1st quarter and don’t look back.