Robocalls - Why don't we fine the companies who spam phones?

crash_davis

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Want to put robocallers out of business?  Let businesses know that if they hire a robocaller, they'll be on the hook for a multimillion dollar civil penalty.

I laughed.  That's the same as saying "Want to put a dent in illegal immigration?  Then hold the companies that hire them responsible."

• Like 2

I laughed.  That's the same as saying "Want to put a dent in illegal immigration?  Then hold the companies that hire them responsible."

Yep. You mean, “have legislators who are bought and paid for by those companies pass a law to hold those very companies responsible?”
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. You mean, “have legislators who are bought and paid for by those companies pass a law to hold those very companies responsible?”

Well there's also a technical blocker in that all our phone companies are still using analog tech in their backbone network, so they cannot implement authentication methods. And they're still using old unupgraded tech because it costs money to upgrade, and their shareholders don't want to pay for it. 

It sure is a good thing we decided that a common utility should be ran exclusively by shareholder for-profit entities that we have absolutely zero recourse for their maladministration. It's working out great for the social contract and the basic idea of trust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Any time I hear my parents bitch about illegal immigrants I simply ask them if verify the legal status of everyone on the crew who mows their yard or every employee at their favorite Mexican restaurant.  Oh, you don’t do that, well then, you’re part of the problem.

• Like 3

Well there's also a technical blocker in that all our phone companies are still using analog tech in their backbone network, so they cannot implement authentication methods. And they're still using old unupgraded tech because it costs money to upgrade, and their shareholders don't want to pay for it. 
It sure is a good thing we decided that a common utility should be ran exclusively by shareholder for-profit entities that we have absolutely zero recourse for their maladministration. It's working out great for the social contract and the basic idea of trust. 

Didn’t Jesus St. Reagan once say the worst sentence was “I’m from the government and I am here to help” a sentence that he lived up to.

Spoof calls and spammers can only be fixing thru tough action. Make technology to track it to whatever company it emanates from. Zero in on the call center in the goatherding center or banana farm or Delhi slum and drop a neutron bomb on said area. Might not eliminate it but it makes it more fun.

These days I am getting about 50 calls a day because they know I go on Medicare later this year. Now I just fuck with them. You gotta get past the robot.

Do you know about my friend Jesus? Or What are you wearing? Or Is this the sex line? How big are your tits? Usually makes em hang up. I use the same in political season regardless of pollster. Fuck those assholes.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Isn't that what the FCC is supposed to do?