Shit Your Kids Watch

Doc Reeves

So I’ve got twin 3yo girls and dont get to watch TV now. We are pretty strict on screen time but dammit if they don’t choose to use it during my only free time. 

so, they are in to ‘Trash Truck’ on Netflix now. It’s basically what America would be if Japan won WWII and spiked our conquered ass water supply with LSD and Xanax. 

what do your kids watch?

Bluey is the best kids show and it's not close. 

Both my 1 year old and 4 year old will sit and watch it for as long as we'll let them.  It's also legitimately a good show and the parent's experiences are pretty relatable, so I'll watch it with them too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Doomlet is almost six. He doesn't really like/watch anything that I hate now that I've convinced him that Paw Patrol is dumb, boring, repetitive bullshit. 

Big City Greens, Teen Titans Go!, Apple & Onion, SpongeBob, and Xavier Riddle are among his favorites that Mrs. Doom and I mostly enjoy too. He's also really into Bob's Burgers. 

He also likes Total Dramarama which I can take or leave. 

Peppa the Pig was a family favorite when he was younger. We hated Tek the Tractor, which is an insipid and dull kids show about a mentally retarded anthropomorphic Scottish tractor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

Bluey is the best kids show and it's not close. 

It is.  I laugh at some of the Peppa Pig stuff that's aimed at adults.  My kids will occasionally watch Spongebob, and they find Rugrats entertaining (and I like Rugrats for being a little glimpse back at the pre-cell phone days).  My oldest was baffled when he watched the episode about chicken pox parties, since kids are vaccinated against it these days. That was a fun discussion.  Last year, he asked if we were going to have a "covid party".

We have HBO Max, and I'll let them watch the old Warner Brothers cartoons, and find those hysterical, particularly the Road Runner ones.

And I'm cool with Arthur on PBS, the world building is great, stories are not bad.  And the kids biography show on PBS. Secret Museum or whatever.

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

We hated Tek the Tractor, which is an insipid and dull kids show about a mentally retarded anthropomorphic Scottish tractor. 

and you actually had to pay extra for Babyfirst on satellite TV 16 years ago. It was like tipping someone for water boarding you 

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Doomlet is almost six. He doesn't really like/watch anything that I hate now that I've convinced him that Paw Patrol is dumb, boring, repetitive bullshit. 

Big City Greens, Teen Titans Go!, Apple & Onion, SpongeBob, and Xavier Riddle are among his favorites that Mrs. Doom and I mostly enjoy too. He's also really into Bob's Burgers. 

He also likes Total Dramarama which I can take or leave. 

Peppa the Pig was a family favorite when he was younger. We hated Tek the Tractor, which is an insipid and dull kids show about a mentally retarded anthropomorphic Scottish tractor. 

Big City Greene rules. It’s like a Squidbillies for kids.

Teens Titans Go! Is super clever too and I enjoy watching it.

Apple and Onion— not for me and mine.

We Bear Bares or whatever it’s called might be the leader in the clubhouse for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's watching some old Bugs Bunny, and Bugs is talking about eating carrots, and having "just a pinch between your cheek and gum".

I busted out laughing.  And then I realize I'm old(er).

Is there a place to easily watch old Loony Toons cartoons, including the ones that are not politically correct;  ya know, vaguely racist by today’s standards and lots of violence and gun play?

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Is there a place to easily watch old Loony Toons cartoons, including the ones that are not politically correct;  ya know, vaguely racist by today’s standards and lots of violence and gun play?

HBO Max has a shitload of o the old Loony Toons.  Don't know if they are the complete collection - guessing they took out the WWII stuff and the worst of the worst, but plenty of violence and gun play.

Also, HBO Max has all of the Johnny Quest cartoons if you are looking for lots of violence, gun play, and not politically correct stuff.  My 8 year-old son loves it.

Hell, the intro has a bunch of gun play, including Race Bannon with his Thompson unloading on somebody and what looks like some BARs in action.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 10:14 PM, Lhorn said:

MeTV. There was some seriously racist stuff that I never even saw when I was a kid and you still won’t see that. I think you can probably find that on YouTube. But occasionally I’ve tuned in to see a cartoon I haven’t seen in 40-45 years and it amazes me that I can quote the lines and know exactly what’s coming next. It’s wild to see representations of movie stars from back in the 30’s and 40’s whom I had no idea who they were when I was a child but whom I can recognize instantly now.

And watching Wile E. Coyote fall a mile down into a canyon is still funny to this day. :D

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

75 most powerful people in kids tv

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/powerful-people-kids-entertainment-1235507904/

On streaming, meanwhile, kids and teens spent 12.7 billion minutes — almost 217 million hours — watching a single movie, Disney’s Encanto, in 2022, according to Nielsen

Cocomelon got over 16 billion streaming minutes.

Bluey got over 12 billion streaming minutes.  

If you read through the article, Dave Filoni ranked high. Wild Kratts made it.  So did Ryan.

My granddaughters loved Bubble Guppies, which wasn’t bad. They then found real shit on some of the kids channels that they will go to the second adults lave the den. All kinds of princess shit, Barbie cartoons, fucking boss baby. What gets them off that shit now is roller coaster videos. Find some killer roller coaster videos. Lay on floor in front of TV. Get laundry basket and place between knees. Place three or four year old granddaughter in basket. Start video. Tell ‘em to put their hands up and tilt back as you climb the first hill. Here we go! Tilt left or right with the turns, bounce when you hit the bumps, lean forward going down. It’s a hoot. Warning: like anything kids love you will wear out king before they do.