Hacks - HBO series by Parks and Rec and Broad City writers

Michael Knight

3 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Had no idea what a Diva Cup was...My wife described it and said our neighbor told her she uses one.  Not going over for dinner anymore.

I had never heard it called that, but I knew what a menstrual cup was. 

thought it was a good season and a really good show.  and that is tough to accomplish seeing as how i really disliked the ava character (well both the character and the actor) for pretty much the entire season.  i couldn't figure out what they were trying to do with her, she was so inconsistent with her personality, her skillset, her priorities (not to mention her sexual history, which was probably the most interesting thing about her).

she also dropped out of school to become a writer, which tells me she's been writing in hollywood for ~5 years (she's 25), including what, one season on some low level sitcom, which allowed her to buy a house in la, which, whatever.  and she tweets something off-color about some right-wing politician and that gets her blackballed from showbusiness?  ok.  all of that seemed convoluted, especially since her comedy wasn't particularly edgy, or funny.  i thought deborah was way funnier, even telling 30 year old vegas comedy club shit.

all that is to say that the story and the world they created and the rest of the cast (obviously jean smart is awesome) were that good that i didn't let ava distract me from it.  some better casting would've made this my favorite show since ted lasso.

hopefully they have a clear vision for season 2.  my guess is they fast forward and pick up a few months into their road adventure when the pilot for the british-written show either comes out or starts floating around, and then shit hits the fan.  of course nothing she did to ava was that bad, and there are far worse stories already circulating out in the world about her (she allows her daughter to profit off embarrassing paparazzi shots).  but that will be the conflict that propels the season.

what i also thought was interesting, is that there are obvious overlaps with "funny people", a movie i go back and forth on.  but one thing that always bugged me about that movie is that sandler hires rogen after rogen pretty much sucks at the club, because his shit isn't very funny.  never seemed realistic to me.  not like jonah hill's set was very good either, but sandler calls them at home to hire them.  this show went a very similar route - ava never showed to be funny, yet keeps getting compliments about her writing, though we never actually see it (and when we hear about deb's new show, she said she bombed).

oh well, looking forward to season 2.  hopefully the agent/assistant/new ceo/kaitlin olson are in it more, they're awesome.  the chris macdonald storyline should be over.

Maybe a show about a writer is a little too close to home for you. I would eviscerate a show about trucking because they got so much wrong. I liked Ava's character. Not so much as a writer but a millennial sjw that isn't focused.

49 minutes ago, RPM said:

Maybe a show about a writer is a little too close to home for you. I would eviscerate a show about trucking because they got so much wrong. I liked Ava's character. Not so much as a writer but a millennial sjw that isn't focused.

right, but presumably tv writers were the ones actually writing this show about a tv writer. 

the interaction with the "cool" writers (the non-fired ones still on the show) in line at the club in vegas was...something.  she acted like a psycho in la, hijacking the producers mom-lunch, but other than that, she split time being "career-obsessed" and "slacking" which are contradictory.  also in the age of weinstein/spacey/lauer, there's not much someone like that could do over twitter that anyone would give a shit about in her line of work.

guess i was just hoping she'd prove out to be funny or edgy or controversial or inappropriate, and she wasn't.  her only slight growth moments were when she realized that even though certain things she saw "weren't ok anymore", that people like deb still had to put up with it (back in the day and even present day).  also wish we could've seen more of the big new show.  oh well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
The wife and I started this last night (finally) and saw the second episode tonight. I'm really liking it. I fucking love Jean Smart.

I always thought she was the hot one on Designing Women. Annie Potts was hot in her way as well. Delta Burke was a smoke show on her HBO show previous to DW.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I always thought she was the hot one on Designing Women. Annie Potts was hot in her way as well. Delta Burke was a smoke show on her HBO show previous to DW.

Definitely would - Designing Women, Legion, Watchmen, this show 

Probably wouldn’t but WTF it’s Jean Smart - Fargo, Mare of Easttown

• 4 weeks later...