Selling a car for scrap

My daughter's 2013 Ford Cmax hybrid just had the transmission go out.  No way I'm spending the several thousand to rebuild that junker.

I googled a couple of scrap dealers and got online offers of 1350 and 1500.  For those in the know, does this sound about right, or is it a classic bait and switch?  Any tricks I should know or any recommended companies?  I'm in Minnesota if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Tldr- fuck Ford and their shitty transmissions straight in the ass.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Seems high for such a garbage tier vehicle. I also wouldn't put this on Ford. You knew what you bought when you bought it. 

Just take it to a local scrap yard and take what they give you. 

Yeah, I'm not taking it anywhere.  They're coming to me with a tow truck for obvious reasons.

And yes, those figures seemed high which is why I asked on here.  I figured maybe it was higher because the elements in the hybrid part have more value (making shit up, no idea if that's true). Or the alternative is it's a scam and they'll offer $200 once they notice a scratch on the undercarriage after it's attached to the tow truck.  

2013 seems pretty young for the scrap yard. How many miles? Condition? Sounds like you got a cash price from someone who plans to tow it over to Manheim or Copart and sell to dealer who will fix the tranny and flip it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133753378167?hash=item1f24529577:g:BkMAAOSwIuRgY-RP

As touched on above, scrap car prices are more like $200-$300. Those cars get bought by guys who remove the tires, wheels and catalytic convertor, then drop off the rest at LKQ (or similar) who will harvest more parts before putting the carcass in the crusher/shredder before shipping it to China or other scrap metal buyers.

Bernard

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Any idea whether the OEM parts happen to have a greater than average amount of platinum and other rare materials? That could be why you're getting unexpectedly high offers. 

It doesn't take too much platinum to add up to real money... 

Drove to the local supermarket today. I drive past a street with a couple of apartment buildings, so a lot of cars parked on the street.  I saw a jeep cherokee, and the muffler was hanging down on the ground.  I assume it was some cocksucker that stole the cat converter.  All of those assholes need to die of ass cancer.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...