2021 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - May the Lottery Balls be in Your Favor

BigOrange1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Rockets signed UDFA Forward Matthew Hurt from Duke to a 2 way deal.

Career splits at Duke .611/.421/.731. Last season shot .44 BTA on 5.3 attempts per game. Supposedly hit 75/100 3s in Rockets workout.

He was the ACC's most improved player this past season and earned conference first-team honors. But again this was on a Duke squad that missed the Big Dance for the first time since 1995. The potential is definitely there, but you have to wonder if he would have benefited from staying longer at Duke. He showed flashes in rebounding and rim defense, but that's probably something he'll need to work on in the G League. So maybe he'll need 2-3 seasons as a two-way player before he's ready to be a rotational player for the Rockets.

• Like 1

Bleacher Report reporting...

The Rockets are expected to bring on center Daniel Theis, perhaps landing the veteran via sign-and-trade through an $8 million trade exception.

Interesting.

I think I am looking forward to the Rookie league than the regular season. Just no way to get excited with Wall and Gordon taking minutes from Porter and Green.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:15 PM, UDontKnow said:

sign me up for zach collins.  he's only 23 (will be 24 in november) and fits the rockets' timeline much more than a guy like theis does.  taking chances on former lottery picks who are still young and wont cost a lot (no more than the MLE) is exactly what they should be doing this summer in terms of FA signings.  

25 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Why would we want theis? Cmon stone don’t fuck up my opinion of you after a good draft haul.

Good post defender, which was the biggest issue with the team last year.

Solid veteran pressence that can teach the young core how to be professionals, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He'd be a better pro in the locker room than Wall or Gordon.

Doesn't require the ball to be effective, which means he doesn't take away from the develop of Porter, Green, and Sengun.

Versatile enough to play with both Wood and Sengun.

Probably going to sign for most of the MLE, which doesn't hamstring the team financially long term, and if he's good, and the Rockets still aren't competitive in year 3 of the deal, easy to flip for more assets.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Solid veteran pressence that can teach the young core how to be professionals, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He'd be a better pro in the locker room than Wall or Gordon.

Doesn't require the ball to be effective, which means he doesn't take away from the develop of Porter, Green, and Sengun.

Probably going to sign for most of the MLE, which doesn't hamstring the team financially long term, and if he's good, and the Rockets still aren't competitive in year 3 of the deal, easy to flip for more assets.

I don’t want their post issues to get fixed. I want another shitty record for another top 2 pick. I figure this is a multiple draft rebuild.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don’t want their post issues to get fixed. I want another shitty record for another top 2 pick. I figure this is a multiple draft rebuild.

do you seriously think that going from olynk to theis affects winning next year in any real manner?

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

There is no reason to be OKC. You got a team primarily made up of 19 and 20 year olds playing in a man's league. They aren't winning many games. You can still lose but teach the young guys how to approach the game as a professional.

Porter, Green, Tate, Wood, Theis

Augustin, Thomas, Martin, Garuba, Sengun

Nice 10 man rotation that will still lose at least 55 games.

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

curious to see how that's structured.  really didn't want them to commit money past the 2022-23 season this summer, but it's definitely a small enough number to be tradeable if it needs to be.  

The good news is that are going to use the Oladipo trade exemption, so they still have $12M from the ceiling and the full MLE at $9.8M to spend.

The Oladipo's exemption starts at $8.1M so to get to $36M he will not be making much more than $9M in year 4.

From The Atletic

The Rockets have reportedly agreed to terms with center Daniel Theis on a four-year contract worth $36 million. Here’s our instant reaction of the deal.

How he fits: The Rockets were looking to bolster their frontcourt defensively and Theis’ addition does just that. Head coach Stephen Silas now has options for his pairings. Although Theis is a natural small-ball center, he could also slot into Houston’s starting lineup alongside big man Christian Wood. Theis would give Wood some much-needed insurance and is skilled enough defensively to handle different matchups. Alternatively, he can come off the bench and play his role as the center with the second unit. This would be the case when Houston goes small during games. Theis is a capable passer and a smart player in the halfcourt offense. The primary concern is his shooting. Theis has never been considered a true floor spacer, hovering around the low 30s from behind the arc. He’ll need to improve on that to be a real factor next season.

2021-22 impact: This is a good pickup for Houston. Next season, while still in full rebuilding mode, should be the beginning of the future. In other words, the team should be taking shape, adding pieces that can fit on a young, inexperienced squad. Theis knows his role and strengths. He’ll bring experience, humility and toughness to Houston. The Rockets have been pondering the idea of more small ball during games and if that’s the case, Theis is a hand-in-glove fit.

My initial reaction: Smart business. Per ESPN, Theis will be part of a sign-and-trade with the Chicago Bulls via the Victor Oladipo trade exception. This means Houston still has the full midlevel exception at their disposal. Despite Houston coming off a 17-win season, their front office has made some smart moves to position themselves to pounce on opportunities like this. At $9 million per year, Theis is on a team-friendly contract. The Athletic has learned that the deal isn’t fully guaranteed, either, which gives Houston flexibility should they want to trade Theis down the line. All in all, this is good value for a player who can impact the team positively right now.

What’s next for Houston: Finding the best way to use the MLE. The Rockets still want to add a shooter if the price is right, sources tell The Athletic. Houston finished last season towards the bottom of the barrel in three-point proficiency, a stat that has been stressed internally for this season’s growth. Besides adding a shooter, they’ll need to begin to organize the depth chart. At first glance, it looks a bit crowded and not set in stone.

Bolded part for emphasis.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Isn't he kind of small for a center? I liked he energy with Boston, though.

i think the best bet right now is to let him play at the beginning of the season and hope he plays well enough that a team is on board with trading for him.

you can load manage him too and give him plenty of nights off to let the young guys develop.  if no one is interested in trading for him by the deadline, i'd load manage the shit out of him for the remainder of the season (and probably shut him down for good for the final 10-15 games).

• Hook 'Em 1

Rockets summer league roster has been announced...

Jalen Green

KJ Martin

Armoni Brooks

Josh Christopher

Usman Garuba

Khyri Thomas

Alperen Sengun

Anthony Lamb

Trey Phills - some Ivy League dude

Jalen Tate - Jae'Sean's little brother

Marcus Foster - former guard from KSU

Matthew Hurt

Jalen Green struggling so far in this game. Probably too amped to play against Cunningham. Sengun is going to be the steal of this draft. Can protect the rim by getting blocks, has really nice footwork and great knack to get rebounds. He just needs to spend some time in the gym to get stronger.

27 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

super impressed with christopher tonight.  he was the 1 pick i was wary of but he has been great tonight.

He's has a lot of similar game as Tate. Can guard 1-4, athleticism is + attribute, needs to work on his shot. I think he is going to spend a lot of his time in the GL, because he doesn't have a lot of PT available to him with the Rockets. I like is future though, more than just being Green's BFF.

Edited by HtownHorn

11 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Jalen Green struggling so far in this game. Probably too amped to play against Cunningham. Sengun is going to be the steal of this draft. Can protect the rim by getting blocks, has really nice footwork and great knack to get rebounds. He just needs to spend some time in the gym to get stronger.

Green take did not age well, haha.